Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Interview with the CEO of Hasselblad – Perry Oosting  (Read 18877 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Interview with the CEO of Hasselblad – Perry Oosting
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:04:01 pm »

Hi,

Lot of good news, I would say. Some of them:

- Hasselblad moving back it's origins, all the company in one place in Gothenburg Sweden.
- Getting finances right
- Lot of R&D going on
- Interesting to hear that CFV backs are a major success
- Hasselblad may be aiming at a lower price point
- CMOS sensors are major focus - 100 MP coming but no hurry
- Institutional sales significant - he mentions multishot several times
- Revitalised interest in MFD - not least in China
- New entrants into the market, Pentax being an example. They here the same rumors as other.

Also seems that mr. Oosting is a rather hands on kind of manager.

As a small side comment, the 100 MP sensor by Phase One is a major step into right direction, not just because the 100 MP but foremost because it is full frame 645.

An interesting point mr Ousting said that there is a break point in pricing where cost of entry is acceptable and selling at that price point yields a lot of new sales. Hasselblad has lowered the price on the H5D and has problems to keep up with orders, a nice problem to have.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:32:34 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

NickT

Re: Interview with the CEO of Hasselblad – Perry Oosting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:05 pm »

I'm glad this stuff is out in the open, perhaps I won't get any more PMs calling me a liar when I say Hasselblad has a bright future :)

yashima

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:16 pm »

In my opinion, Hasselblad should go back to their roots with V mount, develop a modern 500 series camera (a la Hy6) with full frame 6x6 sensor and autofocus Zeiss lenses, and hopefully with backward compatibility. I think there's a lot of appetite for that.

NickT

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:49:09 pm »

In my opinion, Hasselblad should go back to their roots with V mount, develop a modern 500 series camera (a la Hy6) with full frame 6x6 sensor and autofocus Zeiss lenses, and hopefully with backward compatibility. I think there's a lot of appetite for that.

You are suggesting a completely new system from the ground up, bodies and lenses.. Not going to happen.

You can still use V system (CFV) or a hybrid system V lenses on H body. But either way it's manual focus and I find hires digital really needs good AF.

yashima

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »

If Phase One can do it with their XF, why can't Hasselblad?

Zeiss has already produced autofocus version of V lenses for Sinar M system. They would gladly do it again if Hasselblad has a solid plan.

NickT

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:57:46 pm »

Hi,

I don't think it is feasible to restart manufacturing an old mechanical system. The old workmanship is no longer available. It would just be a very expensive product without modern features.

Magnified live view make exact focusing easy, but it is no replacement for AF. I don't need AF for my stuff.

Hasselblad had great success with the VFC backs, they have sold 550000 V-series cameras they can be put on. Would they make full frame CMOS back for the V I would buy if it would fit my budget. Cropped frame is no go for me, because of lack of wide angle lenses.

Best regards
Erik

You are suggesting a completely new system from the ground up, bodies and lenses.. Not going to happen.

You can still use V system (CFV) or a hybrid system V lenses on H body. But either way it's manual focus and I find hires digital really needs good AF.
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:16:47 pm »

Considering the limitations of traditional AF on large viewfinders (central point), the logical way forward for MF is high res EVF to enable accurate manual focusing.

The problem is that the current H platform probably doesn't allow this due to platform limitations while the XF apparently does.

Cheers,
Bernard

minicoop1985

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 06:48:57 pm »

Part of me wonders if they're working on a MF mirrorless system... I'm glad things are looking up, as despite my Mamiya 645AFD, I'm a huge Hasselblad fanboy. I have a shrine dedicated to them, now adorned with a 500C/M.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 07:00:52 pm »

I've hoped for years for Hasselblad to revamp the V system.
Different ideas have come like implementing an evf in place of the ground glass. For existing bodies perhaps a wirelees nfc from a cmos back to the evf. Getting rid of the mirror should be the easy part.

Eduardo

Considering the limitations of traditional AF on large viewfinders (central point), the logical way forward for MF is high res EVF to enable accurate manual focusing.

The problem is that the current H platform probably doesn't allow this due to platform limitations while the XF apparently does.

Cheers,
Bernard

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 05:30:08 am »

Some conclusions that can be safely made out of the interview are the following:

1. They are selling well (and making profits) at the moment so that they can afford to "take their time" with new products as to have them "done right"...
2. There will be lots of new products coming in 2016.... One should expect that "lots of" is more than three or four. Thus, I would expect them to:
a. Make their backs available for third party platforms (Doug already mentioned in another conversation that they are planning to release P1/Mamiya compatible backs).
b. The Sony 100mp sensor isn't the only new sensor they are considering.
3. Multishot ability of a sensor, is a major aspect when they consider a new sensor.
4. The phrases "we are currently focusing on the 50mp Sony sensor" and "the 40mp sensor had its cycle" confirms that  they are moving the 50mp Sony sensor products as to be their entry level products (as many in different conversations have observed) making room for new (more than one) sensors (all Cmos) in the upper categories.
5. Pricing policy has indeed changed and will be a major factor with their future products (very good news as one would expect to force competition prices down too). Additionally they consider that better pricing widens the MF market in general as "it attracts more people" to the format" (that's right!). One can therefore conclude that will ignore direct competition pricing from here on (as they already do with their 50mp Sony sensor products), but they will price their future  products for the point where high demand ensures maximum profitability.
6. They are designing their products (being advised by ambassadors) as to perform their best for many different types of photography (fashion, product, landscape, architecture, art reproduction etc...) and they select different ambassadors that specialize in the respective fields. Additionally, they "listen" to all other than ambassadors suggestions.
7. They would consider a FF 6x6 sensor for the V series, but they won't do so unless it is affordable (which is not the case currently and might not be the case in the near future either).

torger

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 06:01:47 am »

Nice to hear that the rumors floating around saying that CFV is selling very well is true, as it probably means they will continue making these backs, and likely keep its competitive pricing which I would think is key to its success as the target group are enthusiasts rather than professionals.

I've watched the CFV series closely as I see it as a cost-effective alternative for tech cameras. Unfortunately those CMOS sensors don't work out for me, but just that they keep making the CFV is good news.

Theodoros

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:15 am »

Nice to hear that the rumors floating around saying that CFV is selling very well is true, as it probably means they will continue making these backs, and likely keep its competitive pricing which I would think is key to its success as the target group are enthusiasts rather than professionals.

I've watched the CFV series closely as I see it as a cost-effective alternative for tech cameras. Unfortunately those CMOS sensors don't work out for me, but just that they keep making the CFV is good news.

I guess that since they will be making backs for other camera platforms than Hasselblad H, it would be an obvious conclusion that "V-mount" would be supported on this series of backs.... I believe that the reintroduction of the CF series of backs (hopefully with adapter plates as it used to be) will cause a major boost to Hasselblad's sales as:
1. People will be able to retain their older platforms and series of lenses but have access to modern sensors (some with multishot ability too).
2. Hasselblad users will have a choice as to either select an H5, or alternatively choose an H5X with the same back fitted on.
3. People of different camera platforms will be attracted much better to the Hasselblad H platform for a future upgrade if they can retain their (interchangeable plate) back and gradually upgrade their platform to a modern one....

Closing the system, was Hasselblad's major marketing mistake during the past decade... Obviously "opening it back" (completely) should have exactly the opposite effect (especially now that the pricing policy has been revised completely). Additionally, opening the system back is of negligible financial cost to them, as the have the interface plates design and technology ready from the past and the backs are already in production for the H series....

torger

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 06:51:42 am »

I think it's unlikely to see revamped oldies... the CFV back is an exception and I think it will stay with that.

In R&D I think they probably are putting in quite some effort into modernizing their back platform to get as smooth user interface as Phase One has. It's a significant effort, which still may not impress the regular users which are used to the development pace in consumer electronics. Phocus is still looking very old, it's a significant effort to get that up to speed as well. In other words much R&D may be spent on catching up rather than creating "new" things. Due to poor times earlier they've been forced to conserve and stay with old platforms.

They're a quite small company so don't expect too much to happen in a short period of time. Gradual evolutionary products is what I would expect, not anything revolutionary. There will be the 50MP 44x33 entry level and the 100MP 54x41 high end, and multishot version(s). You can call that "a lot of new products". I don't think we will see any additional sensor size (ie 49x37) as Sony would have to make one specifically only for Hasselblad, not enough business for that.

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 07:19:36 am »

I think it's unlikely to see revamped oldies... the CFV back is an exception and I think it will stay with that.

In R&D I think they probably are putting in quite some effort into modernizing their back platform to get as smooth user interface as Phase One has. It's a significant effort, which still may not impress the regular users which are used to the development pace in consumer electronics. Phocus is still looking very old, it's a significant effort to get that up to speed as well. In other words much R&D may be spent on catching up rather than creating "new" things. Due to poor times earlier they've been forced to conserve and stay with old platforms.

They're a quite small company so don't expect too much to happen in a short period of time. Gradual evolutionary products is what I would expect, not anything revolutionary. There will be the 50MP 44x33 entry level and the 100MP 54x41 high end, and multishot version(s). You can call that "a lot of new products". I don't think we will see any additional sensor size (ie 49x37) as Sony would have to make one specifically only for Hasselblad, not enough business for that.

Doug confirmed in another conversation that they've asked and now have access for P1/Mamiya interface as to offer backs for this platform. The rest of the interfaces are already known to them from the CF-back days as they haven't changed. As I said before and one can easily understand, there is negligible cost to them as to offer the backs they already develop for the H series for other platforms too and can only attract many more customers to the firm... I don't know a company that can expand significantly their customer base with very little effort required that wouldn't do so... If they'll (soon) be releasing backs for the P1/M645 camera platform why wouldn't they offer the backs for other platforms since there is no new research needed as to develop the interface? ....It doesn't make sense throwing customers "out of the window"... does it?

torger

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 08:57:37 am »

Doug confirmed in another conversation that they've asked and now have access for P1/Mamiya interface as to offer backs for this platform. The rest of the interfaces are already known to them from the CF-back days as they haven't changed. As I said before and one can easily understand, there is negligible cost to them as to offer the backs they already develop for the H series for other platforms too and can only attract many more customers to the firm... I don't know a company that can expand significantly their customer base with very little effort required that wouldn't do so... If they'll (soon) be releasing backs for the P1/M645 camera platform why wouldn't they offer the backs for other platforms since there is no new research needed as to develop the interface? ....It doesn't make sense throwing customers "out of the window"... does it?

Getting the spec does not necessarily mean that they will do anything. I hope you're right though. I think making an M compatible back will be costly anyway as there's quite some work around having an extra product (testing, documentation etc) so they must have a strategy to sell a bunch. As Phase One's backs are considered more modern the only effective way they could compete in the M platform would be on price. I certainly would love to see that, but I wouldn't dare to consider it likely.

I think we'll see a lot of catching up, and less of surprising revolutionary products. That strategic partnership with the drone company DJI is interesting though, I wonder what that may lead to... Hasselblad has surprised before, so we'll see. I hope it's not a "Lunar" type of surprise though...

BJL

improving focus precision, and just two CMOS formats from now on for MF?
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:21 am »

I can see several ways to improve focusing precision with these high resolution sensors, but they all involve using the main sensor and so having no mirror in the way, and so would benefit from an EVF, even if only as an accessory for an SLR to improve the Live View mode experience:
- magnified live view for manual focusing
- on-sensor AF with CDAF and/or the newer in-sensor PDAF technology – which Sony has, so could offer in its larger-than-35mm-format sensors some day.

My bet is on CDAF, since AF speed is the main advantage of PDAF, and that seems a lower priority than accuracy  in the larger formats, so the cost of modifying the sensor to add PDAF sensors is probably not worth it.

Apart from that, the main news from that Hssselblad interview for me is that Sony does indeed seem to plan on offering all its CMOS sensors to all makers, even if Phase One has a temporary exclusive, and the MF makes are all heading that way, phasing out CCDs.  Given the higher overhead of developing each new CMOS sensor compared to CCDs, and thus the greater incentive to keep unit sales up for each sensor model (along with the desirability of matching wide-angle lens designs to a particular format size) I predict a settling on just these two sensor formats larger than 36x24mm: 54x40mm for approximately full 645 format and optimal usage of 645 lenses, and 44x33mm for lower cost "entry-level" options.  (But always with Leica doing its own thing.)  My only doubt is whether 44x33mm will persist or eventually get squeezed out for not offering a sufficient IQ advantage over the ever-improving 36x24mm offerings.

narikin

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 10:18:53 am »

Zeiss has already produced autofocus version of V lenses for Sinar M system. They would gladly do it again if Hasselblad has a solid plan.

Actually, they probably won't. Zeiss see there is not enough market share/production numbers for them in MF digital. They got burned with the Sinar-Zeiss lens line (just a hundred or so lenses) so I doubt they'll come back in again.

The only exception would be with a Sony MF camera - then they may be guaranteed the production numbers to make sense.

Theodoros

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:58 am »

Actually, they probably won't. Zeiss see there is not enough market share/production numbers for them in MF digital. They got burned with the Sinar-Zeiss lens line (just a hundred or so lenses) so I doubt they'll come back in again.

The only exception would be with a Sony MF camera - then they may be guaranteed the production numbers to make sense.

+1... I also believe they won't be back to MF lenses if only for the V system... If they had that in mind, they would have provided a wider than 40mm lens ages ago... After all, Hasselblad's decision to stop the V system, doesn't mean that Zeiss couldn't continue to make lenses for it... IMO, both V-camera and V-lenses production was stopped because there wasn't enough demand to support production and additionally, there was more than enough existing S/H marketing base as to support the ones that didn't want a platform change to other... I don't believe that Sony will ever be entering the MF market either, they simply won't compete with their own customers that buy their sensors... The only possibility (IMO) for Zeiss to re-enter the MF lenses market, is if the Contax 645 system will be resurrected as the Contax name is of Zeiss ownership and there is no more financial rights obligation to Kyocera for the resurrection from this year on, since the 10 years required from production by the international law has expired a month ago by the 31st of December 2015....

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:33 am »

I'd be extremely happy for a 54X40 sensor mounted on a rotating platform inside a CFV back.  :D
Eduardo

Some conclusions that can be safely made out of the interview are the following:

7. They would consider a FF 6x6 sensor for the V series, but they won't do so unless it is affordable (which is not the case currently and might not be the case in the near future either).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:35:51 am by uaiomex »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up