Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: triggers for hassy H  (Read 3248 times)

Endeavour

triggers for hassy H
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:53:37 am »

Hi
I'm about to do more studio / flash sessions and I need to be able to trigger my heads from my Hasselblad H1 (film back) - ideally wireless-ly.

I have 3 heads and large softboxes, so I think i'll need receivers for them all (rather than trying to rely on IR triggering?) as line of sight between heads probably wont be possible

Any suggestions please? am I able to utilize the hotshoe on the H1 for triggering the strobes or is it a sync cable? Also, what about remote triggering the camera I'd also like to have that ability

thanks
Simon

Endeavour

Re: triggers for hassy H
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:53 pm »

I should add, that I also want to be shooting outdoors with said strobes & softboxes, so being tethered with a pc cord isnt going to work too well on location

I got confused by the amount of PocketWizard models available. especially as they seem to be specific to a brand of camera (nikon, canon etc)  and that these are only rated to 1/250 sync speed.

How are you guys triggering your studio lights?

minicoop1985

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:58:52 pm »

I had an H1, and strangely enough, it worked with a Canon Rebel remote. I still have that wired remote if you want it. Just send me your address in PM.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

jvpictures

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:15 pm »

with a Move from Bron and RFS2 you can fire up two flash guns up to 1/800 sec, no problem.

minicoop1985

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:23 pm »

I read this wrong. Anyway, I've successfully used both Pocketwizards and a Yongnuo 622 TX (for Canon) on my old H1. Be aware that these do NOT support TTL.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 04:42:21 pm »

with a Move from Bron and RFS2 you can fire up two flash guns up to 1/800 sec, no problem.

I am not ashamed to admit I have no idea what the 1st part of that sentence meant :)

NickT

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:45:19 pm »

Hi Simon
There are a bunch of hotshot mounted triggers out there (no cable needed) I use a pair of pocket wizards with slaves (photo-electric cells) to fire other packs, I have also in the past hard wired packs together using 2-strand cable and a phono plug on each end.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:06:24 pm »

I have an H1.  The Pocket Wizard Plus X triggers work great.  It's a basic trigger.  One on your camera, one on your light and they fire.  If you are using specific lights, such as Profoto...they offer their own triggers that will work as well.  Air system is an example.  The D system airs can also be fired and controlled from Capture One if you have the right extras.(dongle and such I believe...)  Also, Paul Buff lights have a compatible trigger. 

I have never really had an issue with sync speed.  I have occasionally had issues hitting 1/800 with cheaper lights...but 1/500 was never a problem.  In those cases I tethered one light at lowest power to a sync cord and it triggered the rest.  Again, thats been a rare scenario.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

jvpictures

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 03:30:48 am »

I am not ashamed to admit I have no idea what the 1st part of that sentence meant :)

check here:Broncolor

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:26 pm »

What heads do you have?  The issue pushing 1/800th is that the timing really can be fun, and some heads can't or just won't consistently do it.

Next up is the triggers, yes, some will work, up to 1/500th, but faster than that tends to lead into not catching the full flash dump.  For example the Plus X only do 1/500th - http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/36/PW-PLUSX/spec/

I've used the Profoto Air, the Broncolor Move and the PCB Einsteins with their prefered triggers at 1/800th with my H4D.
t: @PNWMF

landscapephoto

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:43 pm »

I had an H1, and strangely enough, it worked with a Canon Rebel remote. I still have that wired remote if you want it. Just send me your address in PM.

Indeed, Canon Rebel remotes and Hasselblad H cameras use the same connector (a 2.5mm jack) wired in the same manner.

Endeavour

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 02:37:08 pm »

Thanks all

I have interfit stellar xd300 heads right now. they're good enough for what I've done before but I will need to test them out to see how much I can push them with the hasselblad.

Digging around in my kit, I found I had a wireless trigger/receiver kit from interfit already, a quick test showed them triggering ok from the hotshoe on my H1 - I have no idea how fast these can sync, but again I can do some tests, perhaps burn a reel of B&W to see what they are capable of with those heads.

Last link in the chain now is a decent light meter - for that I definitely know I dont have one

landscapephoto

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 03:25:26 pm »

Last link in the chain now is a decent light meter - for that I definitely know I dont have one

There is one built right into your H1.

Joe Towner

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 03:27:44 pm »

Sekonic L-358, but that's just me :)
t: @PNWMF

Endeavour

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »

Sekonic L-358, but that's just me :)

yep, that's what I'm looking out for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up