Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D750 - Assign AE-L/AF-L as AF-ON, but STILL keep AF on shutter button?  (Read 4566 times)

Photog-x

I believe I already looked thoroughly, but just in case...have you found a way to make the D750 behave more like the Df with regards to having AF-ON on the rear of the camera but also keep the ability to use the shutter button for AF as well?  From what I can tell, if you assign the AE-L/AF-L button as AF-ON, the shutter button no longer works for AF.  It only works for metering/exposure and shutter release.  I want the AE-L/AF-L button to be AF-ON just like the dedicated AF-ON button on my Df, but also keep AF on the shutter button too (Df will focus with either one, but obviously the shutter button only works for metering/exposure lock and shutter release if you're already pressing the rear AF-ON button).  I think it's not possible to do this on the D750, but I thought I'd check in case somehow I'm not seeing the right setting.

The reason why I want it this way is because I normally use the shutter button for everything, but occasionally I want to focus and recompose and that's when I'd want to use the rear AF-ON button (so the exposure is not locked when I'm moved away from the normal framing for a moment to get focus).  For the time being, I sort of do the reverse process since I can't make the rear button work the way I want.  For now, I have the AE-L/AF-L button set to AE-L only and if I need to focus and recompose, I'll actually lock the exposure with the framing I want first, then move the camera way to focus where I want using the half press on the shutter button, then recompose (while still holding the rear button and now also holding the shutter button half way) and take my shot.  That works ok, but it's not ideal.

dwswager

Re: D750 - Assign AE-L/AF-L as AF-ON, but STILL keep AF on shutter button?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:51 pm »

The reason why I want it this way is because I normally use the shutter button for everything, but occasionally I want to focus and recompose and that's when I'd want to use the rear AF-ON button (so the exposure is not locked when I'm moved away from the normal framing for a moment to get focus).  For the time being, I sort of do the reverse process since I can't make the rear button work the way I want.  For now, I have the AE-L/AF-L button set to AE-L only and if I need to focus and recompose, I'll actually lock the exposure with the framing I want first, then move the camera way to focus where I want using the half press on the shutter button, then recompose (while still holding the rear button and now also holding the shutter button half way) and take my shot.  That works ok, but it's not ideal.

The Manual specifically states that when AE-L/AF-L button is set to AF-ON, focusing will not be possible with the shutter release button.  Hence, you either need to be very careful or go back button focus full time.   One question, does this setting get saved in U1/U2?  You could set up one of these for back button focus and be able to quickly go back to normal.

I think this is the intent.  If AE-L/AF-L is set to AF-ON then it turns off AF on the shutter button to preclude a situation where you focused and recomposed and now when you trip the shutter it refocuses on the new location.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are.  I'm not a full time AF-On back button focus user.  So I get caught out when I set the camera that way and go back to normal shooting.  It's the reason I wish Nikon had real settings banks that I could switch between rather than the non sticky shooting banks that the pro cameras have.  My D810 has both an AE-L/AF-L button and a separate AF-ON button.  Interestingly enough, it appears the new D500 only has an AF-ON button.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:05:25 pm by dwswager »

Photog-x

Re: D750 - Assign AE-L/AF-L as AF-ON, but STILL keep AF on shutter button?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:14 pm »

Thanks.  If it could be saved to U1 or U2, I probably wouldn't do that.  I just want it to work the same as the dedicated AF-ON button like my Df has. 

"If AE-L/AF-L is set to AF-ON then it turns off AF on the shutter button to preclude a situation where you focused and recomposed and now when you trip the shutter it refocuses on the new location."

Yes, but that's not the way it works with the dedicated AF-ON button.  You'd press and hold the rear button and the focus would be locked and not be affected by the shutter button (while you're still holding the rear button).  I just wish it would work the same as the AF-ON button.  I'm not sure why they can't do that.  Oh well.  It's ok as is, but I'd just prefer it be the same as the af-on button. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up