Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY depressed. Help needed!  (Read 13822 times)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: VERY depressed. Help needed!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 10:12:17 am »

Find a subject that your sone and his drone cannot photograph, something unique, a new POV, a new subject and then go and enjoy the camera you already have in your hand. It's not the camera that's the issue here!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

torger

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 10:25:02 am »

Smart observation. I would add that if you choose a camera because you've seen what somebody else can do with it, you have the wrong camera.

It could still be the right camera, but you got it for the wrong reason ;)

Ken R

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:06 am »

I am very depressed! Like many photographers here, I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in medium format digital equipment including a P180, a Linhof Techno and an H2 with many lenses and other "essentials". A recent photo expedition with one of my sons has revealed that none of my stuff cannot compete with the 12MP images from my son's drone and its 4K video lens, all of which cost less than $1,500. 

The drone produced unique and awesome images because of the different viewpoints and angles that it can easily provide. Not only that, most of it can be done from the convenience of the roadside or river bed. You do not need to keep the drone in sight and it can be up to a kilometre away. No need to lug heavy backpacks of gear up mountains.

I now realize that, no matter how much money I throw at my gear, I will never be able to get the amazing images that a drone can effortlessly produce.

I guess that there is only a short time before everyone has a drone. Maybe, there is only, say, three years to benefit from the uniqueness of drone viewpoints. I also expect that, if everyone throws away their still cameras and buys a drone, the sky will be full of them and we will be having drone wars. Not to mention the restrictions against using drones over private property, national reserves, and so on, and the height limits.

So, 12MP images outclassing 80MP MFDB images based on on image content with no way for the 80MP images to exceed, or even emulate, because they cannot get to the same viewpoint and the hardware cannot be used with drones because they do not take video!

I would be interested in your comments, especially, if you can cure my depression.
Roger

Horses for courses.

If you love aerial photography then obviously a rig made for standard photography is not gonna satisfy you. Cameras are tools to help you achieve what you want. Get the right tool for that.

It is what it is.

Aerial Photography is another world and there are lots of awesome tools available today for it. I have shot from a Heli quite a few times and love the freedom it provides specially when one can direct the pilot to exactly the spot one wants.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 03:04:17 pm »

Hi,

I guess that the original poster is a bit sarcastic. On the other hand there is something called evolution and new technologies arise and we may need to adopt them. This was pretty much case with digital photography which caused a disruptive change. Now, we have new technology, making things possible that were far less possible before.

I have been very much impressed by a short video recorded in the Dolomites by Jona Salcher: https://youtu.be/Abj7NPcaBU8

It was filmed by a DJI Phantom 3, in 4K I think. Interestingly, DJI has made a significant investment in Hasselblad a couple of months ago. I guess that investment signals some interest in development of medium format systems for drones.

Now, I don't think I am going into drones. But, it is very clear that drones do extend our options with regard to photography. Also, drones are ridiculously cheap compared helicopter flights.

Best regards
Erik
Horses for courses.

If you love aerial photography then obviously a rig made for standard photography is not gonna satisfy you. Cameras are tools to help you achieve what you want. Get the right tool for that.

It is what it is.

Aerial Photography is another world and there are lots of awesome tools available today for it. I have shot from a Heli quite a few times and love the freedom it provides specially when one can direct the pilot to exactly the spot one wants.
Erik Kaffehr

minicoop1985

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »

There's always a new way to look at something.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:02 pm »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »

There is nothing like shooting "Doors Off" in a Helicopter......It is my favorite. In my experiences it takes a bit getting situated with creating compositions at a rapid pace but, the smile on your face will be ear to ear the moment you take off. It's expensive but worth it. Also, you need 1/1600 or higher Shutter Speeds. There is no time to mess around with complicated gear and most your shots will be 14mm to 100mm (35mm FX). Many people will not jump on a helicopter due to expense or fear so, it further limits competitive work. Hey, it is my understanding that the new Phase XF shoots 1/1600 so there is your MF solution. Now you will have aerials with 100MP and an awesome in person view of the scene and a helicopter ride!!!!  Will that beat a drone shot, that is for you to decide........I hope this makes you feel better......I have always found the low points in anything help me excel to another level when I try again or rethink my process......Good Luck!
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 08:04:01 am »

Drones in most Countries are very limited. I had one before they were popular, even then I decided there was no legal way to make a decent profit shooting stills for my clients. Use one near buildings or people eventualy you will get jumped on by the law.
I can see the day when most people will of had enough of drones buzzing around their heads, peeping over the garden wall etc expect even more regs to control the use.
I was at a firework display on new years day. Someone decided to film it from a little Phantom, A/ it was illegal to fly within a crowd,  B/ it was pis sing people off no end.
There is no reason why in the past you could not of hired a cherry picker or helicopter for a unique view, different than a drone but still different than Street level
As the public become educated as to what is or isn't legal, flying a drone will become even more difficult.
Kevin.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 09:11:54 am »

Beer. Beer will take care of your depression.
Slow clap for the subtle trolling though.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

AreBee

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:18 am »

synn,

Beer will take care of your depression.

Alcohol is a depressant.

In order to escape his depression, what Roger requires is a stimulant... like cocaine.

TwistedShadow

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »

As the public become educated as to what is or isn't legal, flying a drone will become even more difficult.

Keep in mind the FAA is starting to issue Exemptions for commercial use and allowing people to use drones including some case for events. It's going to be difficult here pretty soon to tell who's legal and who's not at first glance.

NickT

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 11:29:33 pm »

Also, you need 1/1600 or higher Shutter Speeds.

I've shot with an H3D at 400th with no camera shake, not in a hover obviously.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 04:37:10 pm »

One possible parallel about unique views and fads: GoPro.

GoPro is in a massive tailspin

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:51 pm »

Every larger event shoot I have bid on so far in the past 6 months requested a drone. I outsource it, and expect this to be part of the norm in trends requested.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Endeavour

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 01:28:34 pm »

the issue with drones, is that you might get taken out by a trained eagle  :o

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35519470

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 08:15:14 pm »

You can shoot with as many (or as few) megapixels as you like, hanging the camera off a drone is not an obstacle. It's not about megapixels vs drone use.

If a drone works for you artistically, there's a way to make it happen. I personally have not yet caught the drone fever. Unless I am artificially creating a scene, if I am capturing something more or less faithfully that I did nothing to produce, other than standing in the right spot at the right time, I need to feel connected to the image I am capturing by viewing it at the camera. If I cannot do that, it doesn't feel like my image (I know - this is just a mental block to some). But capturing the image the way I see it is important to me. If I can't see it - as in my drone is hovering 30 feet above me - then that loses something for me.

Maybe in time this will change for me ....  ::)

Nonetheless - not everyone has this perspective hanging around their neck, and if not, the creative possibilities are certainly enhanced with a drone.

Steve Hendrix
CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

AreBee

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 08:04:13 am »

Steve,

...capturing the image the way I see it is important to me. If I can't see it - as in my drone is hovering 30 feet above me - then that loses something for me.

VR Goggles.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 12:10:12 pm »

Steve,

VR Goggles.

Oh no! I cannot deny the drones any longer.

That's funny Rob, thanks for showing me the way!  :)

I was listening to an interview yesterday with George Miller, the guy who directed most of the Mad Max movies, but also was the Producer for Babe (go figure). He noted that the technology for the talking animals wasn't available when they wanted to film it, but they knew technology would come, and about 3 years later, voila.

Steve Hendrix
CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 07:34:09 pm »

The drone is a very cool perspective in a video footage. Its something beyond the inner experience and I love seeing them, so I can understand the demand. But unless it is your primary thing to do, then I can't see how a photographer can juggle both unless they sub it out.

But, it has nothing to do with gear and everything to do with delivering something beyond the experience within...Takes you to that out of the box view of things....Until it becomes norm, then we do it all over until that game changing "thing" what ever it might be comes into play...I don't know xray view photography or something? :-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up