Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad 50-110 Zoom Woes  (Read 21098 times)

michael

Hasselblad 50-110 Zoom Woes
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 12:49:16 pm »

Elizabeth,

I tried registering for the FlexFrame Yahoo group, but after the moderatoer asking for more information about me and my interests, it appears that my request was turned down.

No matter.

But, as someone with clout with Hasselblad I urge you to pursue this matter with them, to the highest levels, even if you are given warrenty service, as I was.  I am concerned about the people who have not been treated so well. I have the names of more than a dozen photographers who have had the exact same problem as you and me, yet Hasselblad seems unwillinging to fess up to the problem and deal with it in an open manner.

As for not carrying the camera with the lens face down, that's like Ford telling you not to drive your car on the left side of the street. What are they thinking of?

Michael
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:52:50 pm by michael »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 02:19:36 pm »

Elizabeth, I think your work is fantastic.

I have had a couple of newly loaded film wind-on locks. I find that if you manually keep the film tight as you load and lock it, then this causes a problem.

Ed, thank you, I will try it. It's a bothersome problem; I was able to demonstrate the wind on issue in the NJ office--and they loaded them film! No solution or suggestion from them, but I will try yours. Hasselblad claims that they have not heard of this film wind on problem--and it's not the body I have because I purchased a backup H2 and it has the same problem.

I only do outdoor work and I carry my H2, without lens attached, in my backpack. My local dealer has a used 55-110, wo/warranty for $2,500 and with Michael's posts I didn't feel comfortable trusting it. Plus it could run $1,500 or more to fix.

With regards to the User Button being the focus button, I read this in the Hasselblad Manual by Wildi and set it this way since day one.

Thanks again for the wind on idea.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 06:58:45 pm »

I am curious about that Hassy rep who made the comment about the lens design and stress holding the lens downward.  Was he the coffee or messenger boy at the exhibit?  That type of comment is so absurd. I cannot imagine that upper management would approve of that comment. Nonetheless, what makes this most unfortunate is that there is less real competition in the MF market.   I guess if enough of the folks who have had this problem get together they could file a class action lawsuit. Of course, the issue would be that Hasselblad may be forced to do a recall on all 50-110 lenses and that would be costly. We need a good lawyer to get a faulty lens...

Elizabeth,

I tried registering for the FlexFrame Yahoo group, but after the moderatoer asking for more information about me and my interests, it appears that my request was turned down.

No matter.

But, as someone with clout with Hasselblad I urge you to pursue this matter with them, to the highest levels, even if you are given warrenty service, as I was.  I am concerned about the people who have not been treated so well. I have the names of more than a dozen photographers who have had the exact same problem as you and me, yet Hasselblad seems unwillinging to fess up to the problem and deal with it in an open manner.

As for not carrying the camera with the lens face down, that's like Ford telling you not to drive your car on the left side of the street. What are they thinking of?

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ecarmel

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 07:54:48 pm »

Hello Forum - I talked with Hasselblad today and they have sent my 50-110 lens back to me repaired at no charge. It was under a special 2 year warranty. I do not know what would have happened had it not been under warranty. I had a 300mm tele HC lens fail to focus to infinity, and they charged me $250 to repair it even though the failure happened while it was under warranty. I was not able to send it in prior to the warranty expiring since it happened in Italy and I needed to return to the US to take care of it. As far as the rep I talked to, I do not know his name but he was one of the younger dudes there. He was not really suggesting that I always hold it in an upright position, he seemed to be speculating on what may be a design problem but was definitely not speaking on the record for the company in my opinion. I am hoping the repaired lens is now sturdier - when the element fell out there were some very tiny screws that also fell out, which are lost forever on a beach in the Grand Canyon, but maybe there were some poor quality screws in the lens. As I said earlier, I will now always carry the 80mm lens with me also since it is lightweight.

Elizabeth Carmel
www.ElizabethCarmel.com

I am curious about that Hassy rep who made the comment about the lens design and stress holding the lens downward.  Was he the coffee or messenger boy at the exhibit?  That type of comment is so absurd. I cannot imagine that upper management would approve of that comment. Nonetheless, what makes this most unfortunate is that there is less real competition in the MF market.   I guess if enough of the folks who have had this problem get together they could file a class action lawsuit. Of course, the issue would be that Hasselblad may be forced to do a recall on all 50-110 lenses and that would be costly. We need a good lawyer to get a faulty lens...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69476\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ericevans

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 10:24:20 pm »

"He was not really suggesting that I always hold it in an upright position,"

That makes total sense . I have never had to shoot with a lens pointed down , I always turn the subject upside down and shoot up so my lenses don't fall apart .

Dennis

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 04:53:56 am »

It was under a special 2 year warranty. I do not know what would have happened had it not been under warranty. I had a 300mm tele HC lens fail to focus to infinity, and they charged me $250 to repair it even though the failure happened while it was under warranty.
One should consider selling this lens, if it's near the end of warranty period, and replacing it with a new one. It depends on what is more expensive: The price difference between the used and the new lens or the repair. I have no idea, but I say, if the front element was harmed when falling out of the lens body, this may be more than 50% of the retail price. Any figures?
Best Regards

Dennis.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 07:48:31 pm »

Stuff is brewing, but it's inappropriate for me to comment further at the moment.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For those of us who have invested heavily in Hasselblad equipment, Michael, what's going on? Is there some improvement we can look forward to? Thanks.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 08:05:49 pm »

We need a good lawyer to get a faulty lens...

Well I am a lawyer in my 'other life'. If there are enough users who have been refused warranty service on a lens which is under warranty, or a free replacement, then it may be worth taking it further.

Please feel free to contact me offline, regardless of which continent you are in, and I will see how many names I get.

Michael, you said you could name more than a dozen...

rljones

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 08:23:43 pm »

When I bought the H2, I'd skipped the middle lens range since I figured the 50-110 would be more than adequate with the 35 and 210 lenses. But after reading this thread and Michael's report, I recently bought a used 80/2.8 as a back-up for the zoom when traveling.

While I don't like to carry any more than necessary, I'm at least thankful to have a heads-up in case I get a failure on the road.

Ed Jack

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 08:11:54 am »

One should consider selling this lens, if it's near the end of warranty period, and replacing it with a new one. It depends on what is more expensive: The price difference between the used and the new lens or the repair. I have no idea, but I say, if the front element was harmed when falling out of the lens body, this may be more than 50% of the retail price. Any figures?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Remind me to never buy anything used from you!  
I am sure you were not suggesting selling on inadequtely repaired (or even faulty) items!

Ed

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 01:45:16 pm »

I got my hassy H2, 50-110 and 35mm. So far so good.  i have a 210mm on order.  I am hoping they fixed the problem with the 50-110 but  time will tell. Mark

Remind me to never buy anything used from you!   
I am sure you were not suggesting selling on inadequtely repaired (or even faulty) items!

Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up