Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One's IQ3 100mp Digital Back - quick opinion  (Read 4578 times)

gagemanning

Phase One's IQ3 100mp Digital Back - quick opinion
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:49:42 am »

I don't post much on this forum and I don't get into the technical stuff too much (I think it's way to subjective) but I just wanted to give a quick opinion on Phase's new 100mp sensor. 
First, I'm not a professional photographer and don't pretend to be one.  I've been shooting with the 100mp DB for couple weeks now and I'm completely floored on how excellent the IQ is.  Even though, it's still a large camera, being able to shoot at high ISO's and still have fantastic IQ allows the camera to go beyond being used only on tripods and for studio work.  I stick the waist viewfinder on it and it's actually very easy to carry around. 
The live view for landscape use is also fantastic.  When the wifi works, using your iPhone or iPad to view images in the field or in live view also are very helpful.
I'm sure as time goes, we'll see more and more reviews and experiences with the new 100mp digital back.  I just wanted to give my first quick thoughts of using this marvelous machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Phase One's IQ3 100mp Digital Back - quick opinion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:33:30 am »

No doubt it's going to be considered a winner.

One question, you mention, "when the wifi works", does that mean that the same connections issues are still around like with the IQ2 backs?  Adhoc, connection, not working or syncing or getting a connection to stay connected? If so that's sad as Phase has had quite a while to work on that issue.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

gagemanning

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:07:37 pm »

I find if I try to use the wife connected to my own network or using the adhoc mode in a area that is crowded with other wifi signals it's very unreliable.

In the field when no other wifi signals are around it's pretty predictable.

I've found this with other brands also, Leica, Sony, etc...

Maybe they should use Bluetooth instead? Or combination of Bluetooth and wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 12:30:20 pm »

I find if I try to use the wife connected to my own network or using the adhoc mode in a area that is crowded with other wifi signals it's very unreliable.

This is our experience as well. In dense wifi congestion the wifi generated by the back isn't rock solid.

In general we recommend against connecting to existing networks if they are being used for general purposes (web/email/streaming music/printing etc). If you buy and set up a separate wifi network using a good router (which isn't used for any general purposes) this can also be quite stable, even in areas with wifi congestion.

The addition of the HDMI and small battery powered monitors adds another option for those wanting review in the field with minimal cabling/setup. Here is our article on the HDMI option: https://digitaltransitions.com/hdmi-on-the-phase-one-iq3-100mp/

Thanks for sharing!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:01:27 pm »

Still doesn't answer why after over 3 years, the Wifi issues can't be addressed?  Adding a small monitor, HDMI, all that is great, but adds weight, cost cables etc, might well stay with the Surface pro tethered solution.  Phase One has a state of the Art USB tethering setup that really is a benchmark of what to expect, net excellent, but their Wifi, I can't begin to say the same thing.  Bluetooth I don't think would have the band width to pass the information fast enough, but Wifi on other platforms is. both quick and easy and stable, albeit, not medium format.  Maybe it's a MF thing.  Still overall disappointing.

Wifi, has grown, and matured over the last 3 years, and to be honest I find it a bit surprising and disappointing that the latest tech back from Phase One still has the same old issues with connections/Wifi that date back to Capture Pilot and the IQ260. 

In the field, the use of a iPad, or Iphone to trigger the back, via Capture Pilot to me is a huge asset, as you can in theory use the LCD on the remote device to both setup the shot, (with a geared head) and then trigger the shot.  Does the HDMI solution offer this, or just passive LIve view viewing. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

gagemanning

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:07:58 pm »

Bluetooth easily could work to fire the camera, agree it may be too slow to transfer pics though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:55:16 pm »

I would be curious as people gain real world shooting experience with the 100mp back what limitations/faults they see with the current lenses they are using.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:16:56 pm »

I would be curious as people gain real world shooting experience with the 100mp back what limitations/faults they see with the current lenses they are using.

If you're interested you can email me for raw files with various lenses and ISOs.

We now have around 40gb of them for the IQ3 100mp.

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 03:35:45 pm »

One question, you mention, "when the wifi works", does that mean that the same connections issues are still around like with the IQ2 backs?  Ad hoc, connection, not working or syncing or getting a connection to stay connected? If so that's sad as Phase has had quite a while to work on that issue.

Thanks
Paul
[/quote]

That's indeed unfortunate and very disappointing.  I presently have the IQ3 80 and the ad hoc wifi is totally undependable to the point I stopped trying to use it, taking away a BIG advertised feature. At first P1 blamed Apple's change of their iso system, but that was early in the IQ2 stage, and by now they should have got it correct.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big P1 fan, but they're charging $48k or thereabouts for their IQ3 100 backs and have had plenty of time to get it right.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:49 pm »

One question, you mention, "when the wifi works", does that mean that the same connections issues are still around like with the IQ2 backs?  Ad hoc, connection, not working or syncing or getting a connection to stay connected? If so that's sad as Phase has had quite a while to work on that issue.

Thanks
Paul

That's indeed unfortunate and very disappointing.  I presently have the IQ3 80 and the ad hoc wifi is totally undependable to the point I stopped trying to use it, taking away a BIG advertised feature. At first P1 blamed Apple's change of their iso system, but that was early in the IQ2 stage, and by now they should have got it correct.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big P1 fan, but they're charging $48k or thereabouts for their IQ3 100 backs and have had plenty of time to get it right.

Outwardly it would appear that no change was made at all which would imply to me Phase sees no issues with it. Which really surprises me.  And to blame the Apple OS is lame as other companies seem to be able to adapt to changing standards.   Your issues with the 380 sound similar to those I encountered with the 260 backs close to 2 years apart. I was told the same thing back in 2013 with the 260 in regards to the issues being related to the Apple OS.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Endeavour

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:01 pm »

how does one get a P1 100 for a couple of weeks?  :)

gagemanning

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »

I agree! I don't think the hardware for wifi has probably changed in the IQ2-3 series.  I doubt it is that important to them.  Also, it would benefit them moving to wifi AC standard, I think connectivity is better and at faster speeds. 

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm actually not trying to "bash" P1 for this because I've noticed the same problem with other camera models such as Leica and Sony.

gagemanning

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 04:37:23 pm »

how does one get a P1 100 for a couple of weeks?  :)

I had mine by the end of the 2nd week after they were announced.

Gage

Endeavour

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 06:46:36 pm »

ah I assumed you'd borrowed/rented it for a review, but then read you weren't professional so I got confused :)

didnt realise you'd bought it :D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:33:16 pm »

I am yet to experience a system where a device generated ad hoc wifi network is reliable.

Still, I am surprised that:
1. It takes a new P1 user to make this fact clearly known,
2. P1 still actively markets this capability as a strong differentiator although it appears not to work, or at least nt dependably.

Let's face it, if you have a dedicated wifi network in the vicinity, you most probably are able to shoot thethered also. So the ad hoc scenario in the wild is the main one where this features delivers unique value.

Cheers,
Bernard

gagemanning

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 08:51:46 pm »

I think all the camera companies market the wifi capabilities even though they are not very consistent.  I'm sure that part of the problem is also the device that is connecting to the P1 DB. I would say that it probably correct works 70-80% of the time as long as there are no known wifi's in the vicinity.  I wonder if part of the problem when other known wifi networks are around is that the phone is constantly trying to make an internet connection but when it's connected to the P1 DB there is none and thus the phone/tablet is trying to find another network that it can gain internet access.  Just a thought.

Maybe, I'm the first who actually want to use the wifi capabilities.  LOL...

gage

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 09:45:32 pm »

Not the first for sure. I have actively complained about the method Phase One uses for their wifi setup. I have used wifi with Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Phase.  The ad hoc connection process Phase One uses is inconstant at best and a limited tool beset with constant reboot of the back or iPad or both.  After working with the system for months I moved to tethering with the SPro.

I assumed that Phase would improve this as new products were brought to market but it appears the wifi process has not improved with the 380 or 3100.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »

Thanks Paul,

I happen to own a SPro 4 so this may be an option.

Cheers,
Bernard

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 10:24:11 pm »

I am yet to experience a system where a device generated ad hoc wifi network is reliable.

I have a device called a camranger. It's commonly used for timelapses, but I use it as a remote iphone trigger for my canon gear at the back of the church when the bride is walking in, and when I'm up the front. It creates a ad hoc wireless, and in my experience is incredibly stable. So given the camranger is a pretty cheapish flimsy thing, i'm surprised the p1 has issues.

Graham Welland

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 10:41:08 pm »

When I moved from the IQ260 to the CMOS back I deliberately chose the cheaper IQ150 as I didn't need nor want the poor WIFI capabilities of the IQ series. I never had much luck with it at all. (I was annoyed however when Phase One decided to provide firmware updates for the IQ2 series but not the IQ1 which in the case of the IQ150 was state of the art).

Regarding the Camranger, it's actually a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 portable router with custom firmware so you'd expect it to perform well.
Graham
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up