Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Your favorite Canson paper?

(1/5) > >>

Bob_B:
I've been printing almost exclusively on Canson Platine Fibre Rag (13x19) for the past 9+ months, and like the results. So much so, that I want to try other Canson papers, but don't want to waste money or fill up my closet with paper I'll probably never use again. (I have quite a lot of that already.)

With that in mind, I would appreciate your advice and thoughts on your favorite Canson paper? What paper might I try next? If it helps, I print with a Canon Pro100 printer, printing both color (75% of the time) and B/W prints.

Thanks for the advice,

Bob

MHMG:
The Canon Pro-100's black ink cartridge is not really optimized for matt papers, so the Pro-100 prints OK on matt media but not great. Minimum L* value will fall around 24 for Dmax printed black areas in the print, whereas pigment ink printers can get down to under 18, sometimes as low as 14 on some fine art matt media using a dedicated MK ink in place of the PK ink.   Add to this relatively poor black density performance the severe 30mm leading and trailing edge margin limits for any of the fine art media settings imposed by all the Pixma Pro 1, 10 and 100 printers, and I think you'd probably be disappointed with the results of any of Canson's matt media on the Pro-100, not due to the paper quality, but to the Pro-100's own limitations. I"m not knocking the Pro-100. It's a great little printer because it's very affordable, and it really rocks on glossy and luster photo media, but it's just not well suited for matt papers.

This leaves a few Canson RC photo media and Canson Baryta Photographique as your likely options. I have no experience with the Canson RC media (they are rebranded RC photo papers probably from Mitsubishi), but the Baryta Photographique is a high quality alpha cellulose paper with a coating that's pretty much a dead ringer for Ilford Gold Fiber Silk which many photographers really like.  CIBP does have low to moderate OBA content, but it's not a super blue white paper by any means.  You can check Ernst's database if you want to know more about the amount of OBA content.  http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Paul2660:
I agree Platine is excellent, however I feel it has a problem with the Epson line of printers and bronzing and you can see gloss differential pretty easily.  I have also been using the Canon Baryta with great results. 

Platine is a bit more manageable past 50% on a roll, due to being 100% cotton and less curl issues, Baryta has less bronzing but much more curl.

Paul C

stockjock:
I love the Canson Platine but I have come to hate how hard it is to cut when you are mounting it on Gatorboard without a border.  If you are matting your prints that should be a non issue.  The Canson Satin is a nice surface and much cheaper but the paper weight and curl is disappointing after you get used to the Platine.  I hated the new Canson Lustre.  It is a weird shimmery surface and I can't imagine why anybody would want to print on it.  Rag Photographique is a great paper but if the Canon Pro-100 doesn't print well on matt papers there is no reason to use it.  Personally I thought the Platine was better on both the Epson 3880 and the Canon iPF8400 than the Baryta Photographique but a lot of people disagree.

dgberg:
Specifically what is your difficulty trimming issue when mounting to Gatorboard?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version