Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

soft proofing mat papers vs luster

(1/3) > >>

HSakols:
Is soft proofing less critical for glossy or luster papers as compared to mat papers? 

Doug Gray:

--- Quote from: HSakols on January 29, 2016, 04:31:57 pm ---Is soft proofing less critical for glossy or luster papers as compared to mat papers?

--- End quote ---

Typically, yes.  Matte papers have a much smaller dynamic range and gamut and so are more likely to not be able to reflect the full image.  But it depends on the image. You soft proof to find out.

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: HSakols on January 29, 2016, 04:31:57 pm ---Is soft proofing less critical for glossy or luster papers as compared to mat papers?

--- End quote ---
Only if you like surprises. Will a matt soft proof look considerably different than a soft proof for luster, with the simulation of ink and paper on? Yes. Will a soft proof of Luster with the same settings look different set on than set for off and will the settings on match the print better (if all color management ducks are in order)? Yes.
Soft proofing is critical for a visual match between display and print.

hugowolf:
From my own experience, I find the soft proofing of fine art matte papers too be overly muted. I wish there was a slider there that let you tune the soft proofing to how you see it compared to the print.

Brian A

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: hugowolf on January 29, 2016, 09:04:05 pm ---I wish there was a slider there that let you tune the soft proofing to how you see it compared to the print.

--- End quote ---
The slider(s) and controls are in the product that calibrates the display. Not all are created equally. Not all allow you control over a very important attribute; the contrast ratio of the display. Gotta have good control over black in the panel for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version