Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with the Artists Viewfinder II or Alpa E-Finder?  (Read 5936 times)

wallpaperviking

Any experience with the Artists Viewfinder II or Alpa E-Finder?
« on: January 28, 2016, 05:30:48 am »

Just came across this app and it looks ideal for what I am after..  Just wondering if anybody had any experience with either of these? 

I don't have an Alpa unfortunately but am really interested in the statements where they talk about "Parallax Correction and Shift Simulation" with regards to it..

Also, they state

"This tool works with ALPA cameras only, and requires that your device be mounted in
an ALPA iPhone Holder. Although you can mount the iPhone Holder on the sides of
your ALPA, just the top mounting position is supported by this tool."

So does anybody have any experience with this?  I am assuming that the fact that it is only stated to work with Alpa cameras, it is not connected electronically or anything like that, just that the Alpa lenses are supported in the software? 

Am curious to know whether this can be used for other cameras and whether you do actually see 'camera movements' being simulated in this software? 

Thanks so much in advance!

sgilbert

Re: Any experience with the Artists Viewfinder II or Alpa E-Finder?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:10:06 am »

I have the ALPA version, and really like it.  You can choose the back you're using, and the lenses you use, and save them.  Then, you've got a "menu" of your lenses which may be selected by tapping the screen.  The only downside is that if you're using wide angle lenses, you'd need an accessory lens for your iphone.

I like it enough that when I upgraded my old iPhone 4s, I kept the phone and use it as a dedicated VF on my ALPA.  Another plus is that you can use it like a director's viewfinder, to decide what lens you want to use.

I don't know about the Artists Viewfinder.  It appears to be the same, perhaps adding cameras (i.e. sensors) in addition to those you'd use on an ALPA.

NB:  There's a free handbook for the Artists Viewfinder:  http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:32:48 am by sgilbert »

wallpaperviking

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 05:18:04 am »

Hi,
     Thanks so much for the reply regarding this..  So it seems that one of these is ideal for what I am after.. Just have to determine which one :)

Can you please clarify your experience with using the "shift simulation" function of the Alpa? 

Does it actually show a representation of using view camera movements?  On their site, it shows it being used with a Canon 5D or something similar, which suggests to me that maybe the Alpa app can be used with other cameras (but maybe with not as much accuracy?)

Thanks again :)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:54:52 am »

The shift function is generic. In the view it shows the frame lines for your sensor. Basically if you shift it just moves those frame lines up, down left or right so you can get an idea where the image is. As far as I know it does not correct for the difference between the mounting point and the actual lens position. So it is just as accurate (or inaccurate) with any camera.

What I like about it is you can store custom formats, so if you stitch you can program in frame lines like 90x40, or whatever you want. I use it as a director's viewfinder as Stephen suggested.

Also as Stephen noted anything wider than about a 35mm (24x36 equivalent) needs a lens adapter, and that is with no shift or stitch. So if you always shoot wide it is not useful without an external lens adapter on the iPhone. I don't shoot wide very often so it is quite useful to me without any adapters.

Dave

Edit: I forgot it does have a focus setting to adjust for parallax, so perhaps that assumes some distance between the phone mount and lens centerline specific to Alpa.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:12:02 am by dchew »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 02:12:19 pm »

I think it depends on how you intend on using the Alpa version of the program.  It assumes specific iPhone lens position in relation to the lens mounting and the sensor position and plane.  As such mounted on an alpa camera what you see on the screen is pretty accurate as to what you will get in the shot.  So adjustments you make in the app, if matched on the camera will also yield pretty accurate results.  This means what you see will be pretty close to what you get, meaning you may not need to position and crop with a ground glass or LiveView.

However, as a hand held device or mounted to another camera body, the accuracy won’t be enough for the shift functionality to be of much use - you will still need to confirm your cropping with shifting another way. The only way I can see this working would be if you can see an image from the camera lens (LiveView or ground glass), position the phone so it matches, then adjusting the app and then matching on the camera.  But why do that if you already have a way to view it on the camera?  If you can find a way to mount the phone in a similar relationship to the lens and sensor then it may be useful.

I use the other app extensively, to determine what focal length lens I need for either pano’s or single shots.  It’s pretty easy to see quickly which focal length I need, but I finalize cropping with LiveView while focusing.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:26:47 am »

I use the Alpa App on my Cambo with its iPhone holder and it works perfect.

Regards,
Ben

wallpaperviking

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:49:50 am »

Wow!  Thanks so much for all the responses regarding this.. 

I have just purchased the Artists Viewfinder II and so far it looks great...

Ray R

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 05:36:17 pm »

I purchased it last month. I have it set for a P45 on Mamiya RB67 and various lenses, and also a Fotoman Dmini. It enables me to choose the appropriate lens. I have used it on the Dmini, and have had the generic lenses do not match on the Dmini, so I have added some custom ones. I have also adapted a cold shoe adapter with a selfie stick to mount on the Dmini (I don't require it for the Mamiya as I can view through the lens). I first take a shot and then align the iPhone to the screen on the back of the P45.

I did have the Briot viewfinder but that does not appear to be on iTunes and it wouldn't open and kept crashing.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:54:07 am »

Hi Ray R,
              Thanks for the comment.. Can you please elaborate on your self stick and hotshoe combo and process?

I was thinking of something the same like this..

https://xshot.com/products/adventure-grip-holder-for-phones-only/

Would be nice to be able to have some type of rail to slide left/right so that it could be centred directly over the lens..

Thanks a lot, look forward to your thoughts :)

Ray R

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 03:11:32 am »

My combination is only because I had a selfie stick. One of these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261640958404?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-131843282946&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&googleloc=9046111&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

I bought this cold shoe
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IPJVI7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It would be good to have something to physically 'click' the phone into, but this would have to be left to right, and ensure that the phone is at the correct angle.

At present though I have just marked the case on the phone with the centre to align it roughly, then I set the camera up with the iPhone on top (normally on a tripod) take a picture then line the phone up. This is normally sufficient for the session.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:25:12 am by Ray R »

wallpaperviking

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 05:47:43 am »

Awesome!  Thanks so much for that, much appreciated! 

Just wondering if the Alpa Efinder version has presets for the Contax 645 lenses and/or Hasselblad H lenses to be used with the new Alpa shift adapter...

Was thinking of purchasing some of these for stitching purposes with my A7RII and figure this would give me a good approximate..

Any idea?

wallpaperviking

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:48:43 am »

Forgot to mention, are the Canon 17mm TS-E and 24mm TS-E II also supported? 

Thanks in advance!  :)

Ray R

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 03:37:11 am »

I will have a look later. In the meantime.

If the lenses are not supported there is the option of adding a specific length. I found that my 90 mm needed a custom of about 110mm rather than the 90.

When going into the wide angle(beyond the iPhone's capabilities) you need a lens attachment for the iPhone.

Ray R

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:41:56 am »

The ts lenses are not mentioned individually, I'm not sure about the adapters, but you are able to choose the camera, back, size of sensor and lenses, if the focal length of the lens is not listed, a custom one can be created.

I expect you have already looked but here is a link to the advanced page

http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/features/

wallpaperviking

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 04:10:44 am »

Awesome!  Thanks so much! 

Does this apply to the "shift" feature as well in the Alpa version?

Ray R

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 06:15:20 am »

I think your asking whether the options are in the Alpa version. If so I think the answer is that only Alpa cameras are in the Alpa version. I would think the option to set the lens to cuts would be, but I don't know as I went to the full version after using the Briot viewfinder. Which kept crashing after an iOS update.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 07:25:10 am »

So have had a better chance to play with the "Artists Viewfinder II" and am really finding it great..

Just wondering what the various holders for it are?  I am aware of the Cambo and the Alpa, are there any others?

The Alpa is waay outta my league unfortunately..

Ray R, that selfie stick solution looks pretty good... are you able to have it viewed bot vertically and horizontally by any chance?

Thanks in advance!

Ray R

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 11:12:40 am »

No, the phone will not fit vertically in the holder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up