Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 9.0.3 error when processing a file  (Read 18211 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: C1 9.0.3 error when processing a file
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 08:32:24 am »

I guess this error has taken the prize for me. Yesterday I rececived it 25 times in a row on an IQ. 100 file that I had just previously processed. It. Is a bit like playing Russian Roulette as you never know when it will crop up but when it does it is fatal. Full restart of C1 and on this last occurrence a full reboot of the PC.

After a long time of no issues, yesterday I also had a single occasion of a file not being processed the first time and everything was fine when I tried again, and no issues since. Maybe it's the position of the planets or the phase of the moon or such, but I cannot find any pattern in the (in my case infrequent) hickup occurring. I didn't have the time to make a documented support case but I will the next time it happens.

I also switched to Windows 10 (very smooth transition from Win 7, it just took a while), so want to have an otherwise stable running system before digging into logfiles. Given the infrequency in my case, it will be hard for Phase One to simulate the situation, and find the root cause. Maybe there is a log file stored somewhere in the hidden Apps directory, that can help them.

The upgrade to Win 10 did cost me one activation, but Support responded with a link to a webpage which detailed how I could reset all my activations, returning the number to 3, after which I could reactivate the necessary machine(s) without problems.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:38 am »

I guess this error has taken the prize for me. Yesterday I rececived it 25 times in a row on an IQ. 100 file that I had just previously processed. It. Is a bit like playing Russian Roulette as you never know when it will crop up but when it does it is fatal. Full restart of C1 and on this last occurrence a full reboot of the PC.

Paul C

Hi Paul,

I haven't seen the error myself.

Just a thought - something to do with naming convention?

Please do raise it with support.  Have you?

D
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 09:05:50 am »

Hello David:

I opened a case back in January, and C1 support had me totally remove C1, from the system.  I re-installed but the issue came back within 1 hour.

This issue shows up with all C1 9.x versions, on all of windows machines, win7, 8 and 10.  Frequency is hard to determine as the problem will happen sometimes immediately, other times after several processing sessions.

I do not use the catalog, just session mode in C1, and have never seen this type of error before until 9.x.  I don't see this on my MacBook Pro with El Capitan. 

Turning off open CL support doesn't make any difference. 

Note, this is only during the processing stage of the file, everything else works fine.  What is strange, is like the file that has erred out gets a tag.  Sometimes I can just hit the process tab again and the file goes an through, but last night, I wanted to see just how many times the error would occur, and gave up after 25 attempts.  To get the image to process, I ended up having to close C1 and then process a different file in the session then the problem file worked with no problems. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:22 am »

Hello David:

I opened a case back in January, and C1 support had me totally remove C1, from the system.  I re-installed but the issue came back within 1 hour.

This issue shows up with all C1 9.x versions, on all of windows machines, win7, 8 and 10.  Frequency is hard to determine as the problem will happen sometimes immediately, other times after several processing sessions.

I do not use the catalog, just session mode in C1, and have never seen this type of error before until 9.x.  I don't see this on my MacBook Pro with El Capitan. 

Turning off open CL support doesn't make any difference. 

Note, this is only during the processing stage of the file, everything else works fine.  What is strange, is like the file that has erred out gets a tag.  Sometimes I can just hit the process tab again and the file goes an through, but last night, I wanted to see just how many times the error would occur, and gave up after 25 attempts.  To get the image to process, I ended up having to close C1 and then process a different file in the session then the problem file worked with no problems. 

Paul C

Strange one!  Have you reverted back to support?
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 10:36:23 am »

Yes working with support through my dealer.

Appears to be an open CL issue but not if I am willing to totally disable open CL on the entire PC as other programs need it also.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dinarius

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »

I've had it on and off on Windows 10 x64.

Today I batch processed 92 files. Got one Error and one no process at all!  ???

I had to go through all the processed files afterwards to find which one hadn't processed. I only knew there was another non-processed file because the folder had 90 TIFFs instead of 92.

But, both files processed second time round without a hitch.

D.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:20 pm »

I had to go through all the processed files afterwards to find which one hadn't processed. I only knew there was another non-processed file because the folder had 90 TIFFs instead of 92.

Hi,

The log file should tell you which files didn't process. Not that it's not a nuisance, but it's also not predictable (although with me it's usually the first of a batch if it happens), and thus it's hard to nail the cause.

Cheers,
Bart

Dinarius

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »

It gives the camera file number.

But, I had given the files a custom name and number, so I didn't know which one was missing, coz it no longer had its camera number.

Thanks.

D.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 03:30:32 pm »

It gives the camera file number.

But, I had given the files a custom name and number, so I didn't know which one was missing, coz it no longer had its camera number.

I understand, I don't rename my Raws, so for me it's easy to spot the missing one. Maybe something that can be improved in the Log file as well then.

Cheers,
Bart

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 07:39:17 pm »

Just a quick update, it appears on my system logs that C1 is having issues with open CL, so I have been asked to run a script to keep C1 from using it.  Will be doing this later tonight on return to studio and will see what happens. 

Not sure what this mean as far as using C1 and process speeds since without open CL I will be only using the system ram and processors.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 11:57:42 am »

I'm experiencing something similar with regard to processing files. Weird. Sometimes changing the output recipe helps, then reverting back to the recipe that I really wanted outputted.  Annoying for sure.

ken

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:17 am »

One last update,

Phase One provided a script file for me to run, which disables the open CL options in Capture One.  After you run the script, the Open CL, box is no longer available to check. 

With this option, I ran C1 through several processing runs, of 10, 15, and 30 images, and had no problems with the error, HOWEVER,,,,,,

It's readily apparent, Phase One does understand how to take advantage of the open CL processing in C1, as without, everything slows down, way down.  Examples,

Processing out a IQ260, 100 file, goes from 5 to 6 seconds to 20 to 25", this a per file run time.
If you use a lot of adjustment layers, (I do), drawing a mask, will take a much longer time and and times will freeze the system, also the more masks, the
   slower and more prone to problems
Zooming to 100%, now takes about 4 to 5 seconds to complete on a IQ100 file, whereas before 1 sec. 

So, for me, as a heavy C1 user, turning off open CL really is not the solution, as unlike LR (which still can't seem to take any advantage of open CL), C1 does. 

For now, I have just decided to live with the issue and if the problem becomes bad, I finish working on a series of images, then run the script, and then process them out without open CL, as that allows me to step away from the PC and do other things while the files process, as at least they all finish without errors. 

This error only seems to happen with ver 9 for me, as I went back and worked with Ver8 for a bit and it processed as normal, with the Open CL selected. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 08:25:29 am »

One last update,

Phase One provided a script file for me to run, which disables the open CL options in Capture One.  After you run the script, the Open CL, box is no longer available to check. 

With this option, I ran C1 through several processing runs, of 10, 15, and 30 images, and had no problems with the error, HOWEVER,,,,,,

It's readily apparent, Phase One does understand how to take advantage of the open CL processing in C1, as without, everything slows down, way down.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. Obviously disabling the CL support is not a fix, but a bypass. But that the issue is Parallel processing and GPU acceleration related seems clear. It won't be simple for Phase One to find the cause, but filing support cases will give it a higher priority.

I have not experienced any glitch for some time, so I'll see if updating the video drivers to the new version from 2 days ago triggers anything undesirable (so I can file a documented support case).

Cheers,
Bart

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 12:04:23 pm »

On the main problem machine, I have a nvidia GTX960, which is not supported officially by Phase One for Open CL, they support the GTX970 and GTX980. 

I have seen this issue on my other PC with a GTX970 albeit, not as frequent as on the GTX960, so I am off to newegg to get a GTX970. 

It never ends.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:54 pm »

It never ends.

Indeed Paul, and now (released today?) C1 version 9.1.2 is available ...

Cheers,
Bart

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 12:17:24 pm »

Not to beat a dead horse, but did want to update.

Brand new GTX970 Asus card, same errors,  processed 4 (only 4) as a test and failed on 2 so 50% error rate.

This is a supported card per Phase One.  So for now I guess I will have to run the script to kill open CL to process files and run it again to work on files (enable open CL).  Not a great working solution.  Strange that this only showed with Ver 9.x. 

BTW it occurs about the same on either of my main windows machines, win7 and win 10, 6 months old and 2 years old (Asus Main boards on both)  both i7 3.4 and 4Ghz.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jan K.

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 12:30:01 pm »

You have visited Asus for latest firmware a.o. updates for cards and mbs?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 01:37:07 pm »

Firmware is up to date per the Asus auto checker. Nvidia monitoring software is also current.

Paul C
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:10:48 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 07:37:02 am »

Just wanted to bring this post back to the top.

Installed 9.2 on a Win 10 15" Laptop.  This particular machine has never had any Phase One C1 on it, thus this was a clean install as it can be.

Same error, "error when processing a file", same random issue, a bit like Russian Roulette, as you never know when the bullet will fire, but when it does, the problem then start to re occur over and over. 

This appears to be a problem across most windows platforms, Win7, and Win10. 

Strange that more folks don't seem to have the problem, but on all 5 windows machines I have running C1, either DB or Pro, they all get this same error.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

vjbelle

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 12:01:53 pm »

Paul...... I have never gotten the error message that you have posted but, I have selected multiple files for processing with some not processed at all.  I am running latest version of C1 (9.2) and Win 10 on a dedicated computer.

Victor
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up