Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading 8.5x11 clear film in an Epson 7880  (Read 1043 times)

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
Loading 8.5x11 clear film in an Epson 7880
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »

We're wandering down the road of alternative processes and digital negatives. I've just (today) taken delivery of a refurb 7880, to make some negs for a cyanotype course this weekend. Currently testing using PermaJet Digital transfer film, using ultra chrome inks, while waiting for  a few boxes of Pictorico Ultra Premium OHP Transparency Film, and a Cone Digital negative inkset to clear customs.

The 7880 refuses cut sheets (A4 - 210x297mm) of clear(ish) film, unless I disable the auto paper size/skew settings. Then It loads beautifully, But about 2" further down the film, than it should. I've tried loading the film with a sheet of copier paper behind (as I've done in the Canon 8400), but given the curl of the film, the vacuum doesn't hold it flat (holds the copier paper), and leads to head strikes. Am I missing an obvious trick, or am I destined to tape each sheet of film to a carrier, prior to hitting print?

The 7880 is way easier to load sheets than the 8400, and I suspect has a subtly finer dither (and should be noticably better once we get the cone inks and QTR running), but if I can't load the media, I'll go plan B in the short term.

Any timely suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

stcstc31

Re: Loading 8.5x11 clear film in an Epson 7880
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:06 am »

what i have done in the past all be it with rolls

is run a length of masking taped along the leading edge. that way the sensor can see the edge of it

on a4 it might be a bit much wasted space though i guess
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Richard.Wills

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:28:12 am »

Thanks Stephen.

Pictorico film arrived today from B&H (ordered Monday), and happily, the 7880 can see the very slightly milky base of the film just fine. So, in trying to prepare myself for the process, using the Permajet, I ended up causing myself more problems than needed.
I did have success printing onto the Permajet, by decurling the film around a 3" tube, taped between smooth copier paper - the film lost its curl for long enough to load and run A4. 20 minutes later, the curl is back, but not an issue after it's printed.

Also, Cone Piezography inks arrived (again ordered Monday). Letting them warm up, before going down the rabbit hole.

stcstc31

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:30:21 am »

i bought some HP film on 916 wide rolls, slightly milky too. but for what i used it for was awesome, and not very expensive if i remember too
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Richard.Wills

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:17:25 am »

We'll be using these for ink to emulsion contact printing, so the milkiness won't be a problem.

Not expensive always sounds appealing - will know much more after some time in the darkroom !

Sent from my Wileyfox Storm using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up