Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oregon's Valhalla  (Read 1588 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Oregon's Valhalla
« on: January 27, 2016, 12:55:15 pm »

Someone spotted this from a helicopter several years ago, but it was so remote it has taken until now for an expedition to get back in there to document the area. The exact location will be revealed (I think) next month.
http://www.opb.org/television/programs/ofg/

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: Oregon's Valhalla
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:04:52 am »

Here's the Oregon Field Guide special that aired tonight. Lots of hype, but you can't deny it's a pretty spectacular find. The first 20 minutes or so are lots of canyoneering shots so you might want to jump ahead to about 21:00.
http://www.opb.org/news/series/valhalla/watch-now-oregon-field-guide-discovering-valhalla/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:10:23 am by pcgpcg »

earlybird

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:34:05 am »

Watching it made me appreciative that Lewis and Clark didn't have a camcorder or a NATure Consumer Outside Magazine hero worship mentality. The statement of comparison between these explorers and Sir Edmund Hillary seems like pretty good comedy.

I found the constant reminder that it was a dangerous undertaking tedious, although I did sort of begin to get concerned that they might run out of batteries.

It took a few minutes but I found the falls on Google Earth. The canyon seems quite beautiful and it seems like it will be a nice place to visit some day.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:10:15 am »

Watching it made me appreciative that Lewis and Clark didn't have a camcorder or a NATure Consumer Outside Magazine hero worship mentality. The statement of comparison between these explorers and Sir Edmund Hillary seems like pretty good comedy.
A good comment on our times is that REI now sells selfie sticks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up