Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Historic Trueth House Oella, Maryland (US)  (Read 1609 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Historic Trueth House Oella, Maryland (US)
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:08 am »

I live less than a mile from the Benjamin Banneker Historical Park in Oella, Maryland. The park is named after the first African American man of science, and its museum exhibits chronicle Banneker’s contributions as a largely self-taught mathematician, astronomer, almanac writer, surveyor, abolition advocate and naturalist during the late 1700s. It's a small parcel of land, but rich in so many things. I go there often to see birds that I am unlikely to see at home and to photograph the architecture and landscape.

I particularly enjoy the the Treuth House (c. 1849-1851). Also known as the Joshua Hynes House, the house is a three-story, five-bay by two-bay granite ashlar structure, with partly dressed and partly coursed rubble stone on the remaining walls. It has a gable roof on standing-seam metal with a ridge and an interior brick chimney on each end. On the particular late autumn afternoon I visited, the sun had just started to emerge from the clouds. It made for a bit of drama, and imparted a 'presence' that complemented the building.

Here are two photographs from that day. I hope you enjoy them. I welcome comments (and criticism), and thank you for looking.

Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Brad Smith

Re: Historic Trueth House Oella, Maryland (US)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:44:24 am »

It's nice to see vertical verticals without object distortion. I think I like the B&W better with its views of the decorative cornices.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 02:22:30 pm »

Thanks Brad. I spent some time in PS working out the perspective issues, and I'm glad to hear it was noticed. BTW, I like the B/W version also.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:18:42 am »

I prefer le B/W too.

The color one has a "too much" HDR look due to the local contrast.

Perhaps you can try do diminish LC and augment global contrast.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:11:27 am »

I like both but the B&W has more impact. It's a combination of framing and B&W processing. To me, there's something just not quite right with the color shot. Thierry may have a point with contrast.
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 08:14:29 am »

...The color one has a "too much" HDR look due to the local contrast...
Thierry

Yes, Thierry and francois. Guilty, as charged: it is a handheld HDR, and I agree with your assessment. I kept it as you see it to emphasize the granularity of the stone. Nice thing about digital: simple enough to reduce clarity and see how it looks. Thanks for your comments.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

thierrylegros396

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:09:04 pm »

Yes, Thierry and francois. Guilty, as charged: it is a handheld HDR, and I agree with your assessment. I kept it as you see it to emphasize the granularity of the stone. Nice thing about digital: simple enough to reduce clarity and see how it looks. Thanks for your comments.

I you use Lightroom you can keep clarity strong for the house, but lower it for the grass and trees.

Just "paint" the house with the brush and use clarity slider.

Thierry

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:56 pm »

I prefer the B&W, also because of the viewpoint.

justlikebeingthere

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:36:34 am »

The IQ in the color example seems beautiful. The coloring seems to portray a nostalgia that reinforces an appreciation of the age of the house.

Very nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up