Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snapshots from this weekend's blizzard in Baltimore  (Read 1117 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Snapshots from this weekend's blizzard in Baltimore
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:21:15 am »

If you're interested in seeing just how much snow fell in Baltimore during the blizzard of Jan 22-24th, please feel free to visit my blog post at:

http://www.belasphoto.com/blog/

Just quickie snapshots, but you'll get the idea of why it took me 6 hours of shoveling and snowblowing to clear the snow from driveway and paths. We had about 30 inches and drifts in excess of 4 ft. I love snow, but...

Best regards,

Bob
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:09:43 am by Bob_B »
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Snapshots from this weekend's blizzard in Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:26:31 am »

When I was a kid, we called it Monday morning...now it is a national emergency  ;)

I sympathize with your (muscle) pain, though. Then again, it could have been much, much worse (the snow and the pain):

:P 8)

EDIT: The image below is from Japan

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:32:38 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:27:15 am »

Good one, Slobodan. I should have known someone would one-up me. BTW, I try to limit use of "...when I was a kid..." statements at my age. That said, this was a historic snowfall for the region: single greatest snowfall on record. And, don't forget we're Baltimore, not Chicago, lol. I figure the kids will be out of school for most of the week, as many secondary roads are still snow covered, and even the highways have limited lanes opened. The city may get back on its feet Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on whether they can figure out where to put the snow they remove from the streets.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:30:52 pm »

I am always amazed how casual my Estonian friend is about the depth of snow they get and how long it lasts. She also once said she was sorry to be slow in replying to an email - she was delayed as she had to shovel snow off her Father's roof :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »

A beautiful time-lapse snowfall gif from Maryland:

http://giphy.com/gifs/1uKsH9rVDFrhK

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 05:09:38 pm »

I'm in Leesburg, Virginia, and we had just about 3 feet of snow. The drift that buried my wife's car was over 10 feet high.

Not trying to one-up, just still in a bit of shock about it.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »

I'm in Leesburg, Virginia, and we had just about 3 feet of snow. The drift that buried my wife's car was over 10 feet high.

Not trying to one-up, just still in a bit of shock about it.

LOL. If having your wife's car buried under 10 ft of snow is one-upping, by all means one-up all you'd like. Seriously, sorry to hear that.

I went out today, first for a walk and then to get some needed groceries (and replenish my bourbon supply). Walking was all but impossible, as many sidewalks were unshoveled and those that were shoveled ended abruptly and often with a huge mound of snow, piled there from snow removal off of a nearby parking lot. Driving wasn't much better. Most of the main roads were passable as single lanes, and (again) there were many places where a lane simply ended with a huge pile of snow. But I prevailed and the bourbon is (or soon will be) flowing. Temps are currently in the low 50s, so there is a lot of melting going on. The drains are mostly covered with snow. I expect there will be a fair amount of ice tomorrow morning.

Speaking of tomorrow, the University is reopening Wednesday. I imagine traffic going into Baltimore's Inner Harbor will be crazy bad, but I'm happy to get back to work.

Cheers,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up