Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone compared Permajet and Ilford FB Gold Silk?  (Read 1424 times)

philaitman

Has anyone compared Permajet and Ilford FB Gold Silk?
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:53:24 am »

Hi,
I'm about to join the world of inkjet printing with an Epson P600. I've religiously watched C2P2S and feel ready to start taking control of my printing.

Paper wise I have samples of some of my prints arriving soon on Permajet FB Gold Silk 315, as this is what my current bureaux uses. However, while shopping around, I've noticed I can get the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk for a lot less than the Permajet (Or Hannemuhle or any of the other comparable papers) by a lot less I'm talking for 25% more than 25 sheets of Permajet I can get 50 sheets of Ilford.

I'm aware from previous threads on here that the Ilford has a small OBA content, do we know how that compares to the Permajet?

I'd love some feedback if anyone has experience with the two papers.
It has to be said the technology side of this IE printers, inks, Software I find easy, the physical aspects of paper choice is giving me a headache.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: Has anyone compared Permajet and Ilford FB Gold Silk?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:20:06 am »

Certainly an interesting question, since Permajet drop lots of hints that it's the same paper.

Have you considered just using an RC like the Lumière Prestige 310g ? I'm rather heretical with regard to the need for expensive paper, since the RC will give you a wider gamut vs some rather hypothetical trade-offs in terms of long vs very long life. The Lumière is only 44€/25 sheets of A3+ here in France.

philaitman

Re: Has anyone compared Permajet and Ilford FB Gold Silk?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48:49 am »

Certainly an interesting question, since Permajet drop lots of hints that it's the same paper.

Have you considered just using an RC like the Lumière Prestige 310g ? I'm rather heretical with regard to the need for expensive paper, since the RC will give you a wider gamut vs some rather hypothetical trade-offs in terms of long vs very long life. The Lumière is only 44€/25 sheets of A3+ here in France.

Thanks Graham, I can't see an UK distributor for the Lumière paper. If I factor in delivery then 44€/25 sheets of A3+ is very close to what I can buy the Ilford for.
I didn't know that Permajet claimed their paper was the same as the Ilford. I that hadn't occurred to me as there was a 5gsm weight difference, which admittedly is rather small.
Pages: [1]   Go Up