Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk images  (Read 31462 times)

wmchauncey

Re: Let's talk images
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 09:20:25 am »

This is directed at nobody in particular...why go to the trouble of taking a technically ideal image if it lacks the artistic value to hang in your living room?
The things you do for yourself die with

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 12:14:18 pm »

This is directed at nobody in particular...why go to the trouble of taking a technically ideal image if it lacks the artistic value to hang in your living room?
I think there's many reasons, to name a few:
- learning or practicing certain techniques
- creating memories of what you've seen
- documenting subjects for others to see
- to demonstrate certain techniques for others
- for fun

Creating images for artistic value is only one of the reasons people make (technically ideal) photographs and I think artistic value usually overrated as well as based on personal taste.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:03:46 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »

Erik Kaffehr

Rand47

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2016, 09:32:11 pm »

The Mission Inn, in Riverside, CA is something of a local landmark.  It was never "Mission" a la the famous California Missions, it was built as a hotel and get away for celebrities "back in the day."  Several U.S. presidents have stayed there, etc.  It is somewhat local to me.  This is a little collage of impressions I gathered on one morning there.

Rand
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:39:30 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 02:44:42 am »

One morning in Knokke (Belgium) I stepped on the beach to make a walk and while still walking towards the flood line I suddenly notice this scene, the shower frame, beach tent and ship. Taking a few steps closer and to the left it suddenly lined up perfectly (I think) and took this shot. I like it a lot so I hope you will enjoy it too.
pieter, aka pegelli

graeme

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 05:03:24 am »

Well seen Pieter

brianrybolt

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 05:28:30 am »

Quite surreal - Nice Shot.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 04:59:40 pm »

Of all my photos only three hang somewhere, the ones in the living room/kitchen of the Brata hut, the 106 years old mountain hut of my 99 years old father in law.
The subjects are: a marmot (see my avatar and my nickname), a panorama of the entire Malghera Valley (with so-so colours), a misty panorama of  Laghèt (a small alpine lake) with Eriophorum scheuchzeri.

This is my first Androsace alpina. I found it on the edge of an avalanche gully in Pedruna Valley.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:13:36 pm by muntanela »

Peter_DL

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2016, 03:54:09 pm »

Nikon D7200 with the 2.8-4/16-80 zoom at 16 mm. The basic Raw conversion was done with Nikon Capture NX-D, followed by some slight retouching of the TIF via Bridge/ACR.

Neither the camera nor the Nikon Raw converter enjoy much attention around here, however, I’m quite happy with it.

Peter
--

scooby70

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2016, 11:28:26 am »

Maybe something that is technical and well done can be artistic for just these reasons?

I've worked on many items of technology that I considered good enough to mount and admire as art.

But anyway... I live in northern England at about 54 deg north and the light here is often flat and lifeless and it just so happens that my free time is often on flat lifeless light days and in an effort to create something worth looking at from the following two pictures I dived in Nik filters and decided that the following were to me better to look at than the rather flat and lifeless colour originals. Both were taken with a Sony A7 and an old manual focus lens but I forget which one, probably a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4. It's an old cinema at the seafront in Redcar, northern England.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2016, 11:04:03 pm »

I regularly do a random pic of whatever is around my room.

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2016, 06:27:02 am »

I regularly do a random pic of whatever is around my room.

You go to bed with some unusual things. (That is your blanket, isn't it?) ;-)

Rob

BobDavid

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2016, 08:26:44 pm »

Scheming dogs.

BobDavid

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2016, 01:28:41 am »

One morning in Knokke (Belgium) I stepped on the beach to make a walk and while still walking towards the flood line I suddenly notice this scene, the shower frame, beach tent and ship. Taking a few steps closer and to the left it suddenly lined up perfectly (I think) and took this shot. I like it a lot so I hope you will enjoy it too.

Terrific image. Perfect.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up