Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk images  (Read 31463 times)

AlfSollund

Re: Let's talk images
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 07:10:19 am »

Finally shot both the waste plastics selection plant (I was scounting when I posted here), as well as the adjacent plastic bottle recycling plant.

Thanks for sharing!

Please allow me to give some small feedback. This is not inteded as critisism, just my opinions on how I "see" photos.

What I see is a very industrial, clean allmost sterile enviroment. It also seems that humans are allmost redundant. The strong composition with POI placement, lines with disapeering points, perspective control or symmetric composition enhances this feeling.

In #2 I get the feeling of wokers beeing supervised (by the group upstears at right hand side).

Impressive work  :D.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

AlfSollund

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:49 am »

Ok, let’s talk about images rather than equipment and techniques. I have little interest in how folk make their images, I also have little interest in single images, but I am fascinated in why they make specific series of images and why they choose their subjects.

As long as I can remember I’ve always been drawn to the architecture of the sun. I’ve long had a fascination for the architecture of the Mediterranean and specifically the abandoned buildings of the Greek islands.

In the mid twentieth century the islands experienced a great deal of depopulation due to a lack of employment with many people emigrating to America and Australia. Many of the homes and contents were boarded up and abandoned, the owners never to return. Over the years the elements have penetrated the buildings and decayed the infrastructure and contents to the point of collapse. Those that are still clinging to life have become time warps.

I’m fascinated by the buildings and contents and by the process of decay. The buildings are often in a parlous state, time and earthquake damage taking its toll. I never enter such places when alone, always ensuring there is help at hand should something untoward occur. I’ve encountered vermin, dead and alive, cats and dogs, dead and alive, goats, dead and alive, scorpions, dead and alive, humans, dead and alive…Ok, that last one was an exaggeration.

I’m not a reportage photographer as such but that said I am aware that if I don’t make these images then the subjects will probably go unrecorded.

The following three images were taken a few years apart, the first and second several years ago using a big camera and the third more recently using a small one. All were single shot. The second image drew inspiration from Van Gogh’s Chair, the first and third more expansive shots within the same property. I will typically move objects that are within the building but will not introduce anything from without.

A bit late, but I just discovered this thread.

Thanks for sharing!

I am very impressed on how you have been able to show decay and abandoned interior, and at the same time kept the photos so simple and "clean" (hope you get the meaning). The choice of colors are (for me) superb, and improves the photos a lot compared to B/W.

Really great work!
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 03:52:28 pm »

Hi,

I sort of like this image, not that much to say. A small hint, I have found that a small value of "dehaze" (in Lightroom) is sometimes quite useful to enhance thin cloudscape in the sky. Not sure it has been used here, though.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:01:19 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 02:29:31 am »

Thank you for the comments and the tips, I'll be sure to keep those in mind!
Instagram (updated often)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
that Scheimpflug thing
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 02:01:46 am »

Hi,

I got myself a Sony A7rII a few months ago. One of the reasons I went for it was that I wanted to do tilt and shift photography. This posting is about tilts.

It is possible to get a tilted plane of focus by tilting the sensor relative to the lens. There is a rule named after a captain Scheimpflug in the Astro-Hungarian Army in WW I that says that if the subject plane, lens plane and sensor plane cut each other all of that subject plane will be in focus. To achieve that, you need to be able to tilt either the focal plane or the lens.

When I am shooting this kind of images I try to focus at the center and use peaking to find approximate tilt. After that I switch to magnified LV and adjust focus for center, modify tilt to get background object in focus and do a new careful focus on the main object. This is best down at full aperture and stopping down just for exposure.

This picture was shot a few days ago:

As you can see, most of the image is in good focus, but if you look at the first attached image you can also see that the plane of focus is rather thin. The strains of grass behind the small pine are clearly out of focus. The trees in the background are also in focus.

This image was actually a reshot of an older one, where I have put the background focus on the small rocks in the background, causing the trees being out of focus. Placement of that tilting plane needs to be well chosen.

This image was shot using a Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5 zoom that I bought on EBay. The reason I bought that lens was mostly that I needed a manual aperture as the T&S adapter I use doesn't allow for aperture control.

The image needed some fix up in Lightroom, I used three applications of the graduated filter and three of the radial filter. The original image is shown below.

The original DNG file is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/TS_Stuff/

The image below shows the HCam Master TSII with a Canon 16-354/L:

And the lens below is the Hasselblad Distagon 60/3.5 CF:

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:06:19 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Tapezu

• Photoblog
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 11:18:45 am »

This is a lovely thread and its really interesting to actually read how the thoughts behind the photographs.

I've recently started to move my old photographs to an online backup site. While browsing through these old photos I found that I am now flagging different photographs as "keepers" compared to when I looked at them several years ago. And with the now free Nik collection post-processing software it was actually kind of fun to breath new life into the old archives.

This picture was taken from a bus just by chance and it was totally over-exposed. I had to adjust the brightness down quite a bit.

The second one was also taken from a bus window. I didn't consider this image as particularily interesting, but the person's sunglasses, his pose and the mirror are kind of matching. Since it was shot with the 28mm equivalent lens of the Ricoh GRD III, I cropped the original image.

I didn't consider the last picture as a keeper at all when I first browsed through them, because the trees in the foreground were not particularily interesting. But in my opinion it helped a lot to make the foreground completely dark and focus more on the shape of the mountains and clouds via a black and white conversion.

I hope I'll be able to have these thoughts while actually taking the photograph in the future in order to have a better keeper / photopgraphs taken ratio.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 10:13:41 am »

The other world dances silently along beside you; I bet you mostly didn't notice.

;-)

Rob

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:45 pm »

That's a pleasure to look at Rob.
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:07 pm »

That's a pleasure to look at Rob.

Thank you, Pat; that's very nice of you.

I see you dig horses: my wife loved them though I always felt uneasy anywhere close to them - they're just too big for humans to feel near to being equals. Mind might be one thing, but physicality is another quite else! I can sit on a horse and it wouldn't notice; the same ain't gonna work the other way around!

That said, I always wanted to have a shot at photographing the fabled white Camargue ones, but I expect that just as with so many other celebrated things in this world, the reality wouldn't quite hold up as well as I'd like. But still love to find out!

Rob
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:35:28 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 03:37:07 am »

On of my more upbeat numbers:

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 07:48:37 am »

Needs more megapixels Rob. Have you thought about a new Hasselblad ?

;D

(Runs for the door)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 08:19:26 am »

Rob,

I love the way these recent shots of yours show just enough to be highly evocative/suggestive, with no extraneous detail. Beautiful stuff!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 10:17:12 am »

Graham, Eric -

Thanks for the comments - would love another 'blad again but only if somebody else is willing to donate it to me. Maybe the richer denizens of this section of LuLa can do a quick whip-around and send one to me (I won't feel offended if it's slightly used...)!

Regarding the pix: yes, I do like to try to cut to the chase, as it were, but with this sort of thing it's not really planned at all - just instant recognition of something when I see it, fractions of a second after it hits me right in the face!

A woman I shot some time ago has come out of the woodwork again and shown an interest in doing more pictures with me; this is she:

http://www.roma57.com/interrelate.html

and we are currently setting up a little shoot for Saturday morning in an old finca (Spanish country home) which belongs to a pal of hers, where I suspect, from her description, I shot some decades ago commercially. It'll be interesting to see what we come up with in the brief time I'll have - she now works in a shop in the afternoons, so I'll have to concentrate as if I were actually paying her! Can I cope? Will it work? So much stress... I jest. I think.

Again, thanks for the thumbs up.

Rob

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 01:20:48 pm »

Hi,

This image was a few weeks ago at Giau Pass in the Dolomites.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

mjcreedon

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 09:47:56 pm »

Since the America's Cup is in full swing thought I would post some images from the San Francisco America's Cup of 2013.
Though Oracle is the USA representative it is interesting that no USA sailing venue was good enough for the team. 
They chose a foreign country to race in rather than America.  As such I hope they remove the USA from the Oracle
Team USA signage.  Bad taste all around.
Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 10:46:28 am »

Hi,

This was shot with the Sony A7rII mounted on my HCam Master TSII using a Canon 16-35/4L lens, probably at 16 mm.

The combo allows some shift at 16/mm and very generous shift at 20 mm and up.

In this case there was some heavy mechanical vignetting at the top, but is hidden by the vegetation.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Another shift story…
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2016, 01:50:42 pm »

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I visited Gotland. Gotland is a large island belonging to Sweden in the Baltic Sea. For some reason, there are 93 churches on Gotland and many of those can be traced back to early medieval times. This was shot with the Canon 16-35/4L

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Pews and Scheimpflug
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »

Hi,

Here I wanted to show the decorations on the pews and have them sort of lead up to the altar:

In a way I feel it illustrates what "Scheimpflug" can do, but also what it cannot do.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
This is about the "Red Baron" of Visby, Gotland, Sweden
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:10 pm »

Hi,

Visby is a medieval town on Gotland a large island belonging to Sweden in the Baltic Sea. There was a cat called "Knäcken" who was famous in Visby, he was sort of "master cat of the central square". When he passed away there was a crow-founding project to raise a memorial for him.

This image was shot around 50 mm using significant tilt. It is a good demonstration of what "tilt" can do. The distant building is in focus and so is "Knäcken", but everything else is pretty much out of focus.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 11:58:02 pm »

Excellent demonstration, Erik.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up