Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z and Priolite Hotsync  (Read 1770 times)

orc73

Pentax 645z and Priolite Hotsync
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:42:24 am »

Hello

I received my priolite hotsync and was expecting to shoot at any shutter speed.
Sadly already at 1/125s the exposure gets uneven and this gets worse while choosing shorter shutter durations.
Anybody else tested this setup?
As I bought the Pentax system also based on the information, that with Priolite there is a solution for the low sync times, you can imagine I'm a bit frustrated. There are also videos and reviews outthere from a guy Alex Munoz who seems to be good in marketing.

I have 2 strobes and 2 remotes, tested all and problem resists.
Now my hope is that I do something wrong. However I did not find anything in the manual that I could have been doing wrong.
Hopefully I get answers from Priolite, the guys in germany seem to be very responsive.

I will make a youtube clip on this and share to keep you updated.

best regards

orc73

Re: Pentax 645z and Priolite Hotsync
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:39:14 am »

Here are some test files.
Shot at 1/125s, 1/200s and 1/400s.

Up tp 1/200s for outdoor the bar on the bottom would maybe not matter to much.

Problem at 1/400s and up is the bright bar on the lower part, or let's say the little part that is correctly exposed.
Given the fact you probably will have objects in the frame and not a flat wall, correction will get even more complex.

I will put are more detailed review on my page http://www.valentino-photography.com/priolite-mbx500-hot-sync/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:19:03 am by orc73 »

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 11:07:40 am »

Are you shooting in HSS mode? I don't have the Priolites, but when using the Profoto B1's there's an HSS mode that you have to turn on.

orc73

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:31:51 pm »

Hello Dshelly

there is no such difference in the Priolite. They seem to use a completely different way to achieve higher sync speed.

What are you shooting with your B1? I also have B1's, I used to shoot them with leafshutters and also with Canon. At High shutter speeds.
With Pentax they work just fine to 1/125s(better then Priolite), for higher speeds the Pentax will deactivate the hot shoe.

If you have another experience, please share :)
Not sure if continous light would be a solution to get higher shutter speeds. Probably to expensive if it has enough power to be used in daylight and with a battery pack.

best regards

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:26:33 pm »

I can only shoot HSS with the B1's with my Canon camera. I've asked Profoto to make HSS available to Pentax 645z owners, but their reply is that they only make adjustments when enough shooters contact them and show them that there's a demand. He was very polite, but it struck me as a "don't hold your breath" response.

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:06:20 pm »

I gave these lights a test recently but never used them in a studio so never noticed any uneven light.

Sorry to hear of your problems after such a expensive purchase!
Pages: [1]   Go Up