Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Members REALLY think about your photographs...  (Read 6714 times)

Nelsonretreat

What Members REALLY think about your photographs...
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:07:58 am »

Before posting your images for a critique you might find this comment from a senior LuLa member of interest. It was posted in the forum on Art photography

"But, let's face it, an awful lot of the stuff in User Critiques is tourist photography -- the kind of stuff people used to bore their dinner guests with, using a slide projector and 35mm transparencies from an Argus C3, and going on and on while the guests yawned and fought to stay awake. "See that hump back there. That's the Mingus Mountains." You may not be old enough to remember that kind of thing, but you often can experience the equivalent in User Critiques."

BobDavid

Re: What Members REALLY think about your photographs...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:54:40 am »

Please feel free to post some of your art.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:58:44 am »

"But, let's face it, an awful lot of the stuff in User Critiques is tourist photography -- the kind of stuff people used to bore their dinner guests with, using a slide projector and 35mm transparencies from an Argus C3, and going on and on while the guests yawned and fought to stay awake. "See that hump back there. That's the Mingus Mountains." You may not be old enough to remember that kind of thing, but you often can experience the equivalent in User Critiques."

Harsh.

That said, I went to a few slide shows in the stone ages.
Imagine a living room full of geology professors, a projector and a few hundred images of rocks with various things in the shots for scale. No wonder they all drank so much at these things....

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:32:00 am »

I'm afraid I'm one of those boring people who just take photographs rather than make 'art'. I do have some shots of the Mingus Mountains if you want to see?

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:57:28 am »

That's tame compared to what I think of my own photos.
Instagram (updated often)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:13:10 am »

I'm not sure what your point is. I usually pass on by the tourist type stuff, almost all natural history, sport, many portraits all because they don't interest me. Other members clearly love many landscapes for example which leave me cold or worse. So?

The only point you seem to be making is that tastes differ and it's easy to bore your audience.

Mike

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 07:20:03 am »

By the bye, this is the "Users Critiques Forum: A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs". Perhaps your commentary and want for discussion would better placed in "Coffee Corner", "Beginners Questions", or "Discussing Photographic Styles"? Generally speaking, photographers post images here because they are interested in getting feedback about their photographs.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 09:41:35 am »

By the bye, this is the "Users Critiques Forum: A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs". Perhaps your commentary and want for discussion would better placed in "Coffee Corner", "Beginners Questions", or "Discussing Photographic Styles"? Generally speaking, photographers post images here because they are interested in getting feedback about their photographs.

+1

"Getting feedback" is the key phrase here no matter where you're starting from. Nelsonretreat - by your comment, you seem not interested in improving, just arguing. No one is expecting anyone to make art. We are all making photographs that, at times, might be regarded as "art" however one wishes to define it - and we all know on this forum how broad and varied a definition there is, so don't go there! :)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 10:19:32 am »

+1

"Getting feedback" is the key phrase here no matter where you're starting from. Nelsonretreat - by your comment, you seem not interested in improving, just arguing. No one is expecting anyone to make art. We are all making photographs that, at times, might be regarded as "art" however one wishes to define it - and we all know on this forum how broad and varied a definition there is, so don't go there! :)

Heartily agree!

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:28 am »

IMHO this thread belongs to the Coffee Corner...

Would be nice if somebody moved it there, as it's going to run for ages  :D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 12:58:05 pm »

... Nelsonretreat - by your comment, you seem not interested in improving, just arguing...

Based on his posting history, I think he mistook LuLa forums for a fight club  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:07:27 pm »

Mr. Declan O'Neill (www.newzealandlandscape.com) appears to be a strong photographer with even stronger opinions  :)

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 02:28:32 pm »

Based on his posting history, I think he mistook LuLa forums for a fight club  ;)

I think thats a tad unfair. Your motto states "When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks."  I have expressed  opinions and they are not necessarily 'the same' as other people. If that is really your motto then you should welcome people with differing opinions not suggest their motive is to 'fight'.  I think you mistake my gentle mockery of M. Briot with fighting?  Not everyone has to agree that his technique is worth the effort!

To return to topic, I do admit that I was horrified to see the comment about the photographs submitted to the critiques section. Where is your condemnation of that appallingly dismissive and insulting comment?  Your only comment to its writer was a friendly rebuke. It deserved stronger condemnation because, frankly, it was mean and nasty.

I apologise for this posting in a thread where it doesn't belong but am not sure how to move it elsewhere.

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 02:32:36 pm »

I apologise, this was not the right place to express my dismay at such a dismissive comment. 

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 02:38:53 pm »

… "art" however one wishes to define it - and we all know on this forum how broad and varied a definition there is, so don't go there! :)

Do opine and define!

But do so in the "free form forum for opinions on photography as an art form".

A poster asked me to post some of my 'art" and I simply replied that I take photos. I am, surely, allowed to state that I take photographs? There is no need for me to opine and define. I click a shutter. End of story.  I dont need to discuss it in a forum! However, thank you for the invitation:)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 03:01:18 pm »

I think thats a tad unfair. Your motto states "When everybody thinks the same... nobody thinks."  I have expressed  opinions and they are not necessarily 'the same' as other people. If that is really your motto then you should welcome people with differing opinions not suggest their motive is to 'fight'.  I think you mistake my gentle mockery of M. Briot with fighting?  Not everyone has to agree that his technique is worth the effort!

I certainly welcome different opinions. It is just that after several posts a pattern appears to emerge, a pattern of argumentative, categorical, and confrontational opinions. As such, they tend to provoke a similar response.

... To return to topic, I do admit that I was horrified to see the comment about the photographs submitted to the critiques section. Where is your condemnation of that appallingly dismissive and insulting comment?  Your only comment to its writer was a friendly rebuke. It deserved stronger condemnation because, frankly, it was mean and nasty...

"Appalling, dismissive, insulting, mean and nasty"... yet true. But that (Russ' opinion) was just another opinion. And, according to you, shouldn't I "welcome people with differing opinions" instead of condemning them? Or being outraged?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 03:18:38 pm »

Before posting your images for a critique you might find this comment from a senior LuLa member of interest. It was posted in the forum on Art photography

''

Well, that post is surely from an insecure and unpleasant person. Aren't we here to help each other? Or are we here to feel superior to others and rag on their posts? The former, I hope.

Isaac

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 04:08:34 pm »

Aren't we here to help each other? Or are we here to feel superior to others and rag on their posts?

Evidently both.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 04:17:40 pm »

Well, that post is surely from an insecure and unpleasant person....

Russ!? Hardly either.

Nelsonretreat

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 05:50:34 pm »

"Appalling, dismissive, insulting, mean and nasty"... yet true. But that (Russ' opinion) was just another opinion. And, according to you, shouldn't I "welcome people with differing opinions" instead of condemning them? Or being outraged?

I admire your all-embracing tolerance and acceptance  of  mean and nasty comments I will just have to part company with you on that one!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up