Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-M1 firmware update killed histogram in manual mode - fixed  (Read 1493 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
E-M1 firmware update killed histogram in manual mode - fixed
« on: January 22, 2016, 04:09:25 pm »

I just updated by OM-D E-M1 to version 4.0. After completion (yes I was careful to not disconnect the camera until the OK symbol appeared) I then updated my 12-40 Pro lens firmware to version 1.2. Now I get only black frames if I have a lens attached (either 12-40 Pro or 40-150 Pro). If I take a photo without a lens I get a fuzzy light frame, as expected. Otherwise, everything appears normal - AF works on both lenses, etc. I thought perhaps I could re-install the firmware, but when I connect the camera with the updater software it just says I have the latest version installed and there is no option for re-installing it. I also did a Full Rest of all settings with no avail.

So I called Olympus America and they say I need to return the camera for repair. Fortunately I purchased the extended warranty! When I first received the camera two years ago one of the thumb wheels stopped working after a few weeks and the repair took six weeks, so I am reluctant to return the camera until I'm convinced that is the only solution.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and been able to fix it without sending the camera back for repair?

Edit: I've now discovered that it is apparently just the histogram display that is not functioning properly. I am in the habit of shooting in M mode and using the histogram. After updating the firmware and setting the camera to M mode, the histogram always looks properly exposed and changing shutter and f stop does not change the histogram display. I was indoors and the camera was set to a very fast shutter and I was getting black frames because the shots were underexposed.  The histogram works fine in Auto, A, and S modes, but is unresponsive in M mode.

Again, I called Olympus and the response was the same, return for repair.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:53:44 pm by pcgpcg »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: E-M1 firmware update killed histogram in manual mode
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:53:24 pm »

Fixed! I finally found a post online that says the histogram is disabled if Live View Boost is enabled in Manual mode.  Apparently this was done when I updated the firmware.  Disabled Live View Boost in Manual mode and now my histogram works in manual mode.

Somewhat embarrassing that this was (sort of) operator error, but I hope the post helps others who might encounter the same situation and... beware of what settings might have changed when you update firmware.

And note to Olympus, the camera should never display a histogram that has no relation to reality. If it has to be disabled for whatever reason, then make it go away.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:08:31 am by pcgpcg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up