Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK for matte paper print to lie against framing glass?  (Read 2323 times)

AFairley

OK for matte paper print to lie against framing glass?
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:25 pm »

I am thinking of framing a large print made on Epson presentation matt paper without a surrounding matte, i.e., borderless and lying directly against the framing glass.  (Face mounting is not an option.)  I recall that this was a non-no with C prints because the print could adhere to the glass.  Is that a danger with matt surface inkjet prints?  Or is it a bad idea for any other reason?  Thanks.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: OK for matte paper print to lie against framing glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »

I've thought about this for some time and have finally decided that yes, it's OK. I know that others, especially some old-time framers, say no, but here's my line of thinking...

I wanted to get as much of the "look" of face-mounting to glass or acrylic as I could, but without the worry about future de-lamination or bubbles or whatever. Note here that I'm talking about alleviating worry, which can be irrational. There are plenty of people who will tell you that lamination is forever permanent, even in the presence of temperature swings, and that there are no long term worries, but this was about me being able to sleep at night.

My concern was that the print might eventually stick to the glass in spots. I decided that the likelihood of this happening are practically zero if I used a heavy matte paper (I'm using 300 gsm Moab Entrada Natural Rag). I'm using Groglass Artglass WW and the paper is held against the glass by foam backer board, kept in place with framing points. This basically keeps the print against the glass, but certainly isn't compressing it against the glass. I let the print dry for a week before framing which is probably way overkill as the ink (Canon Lucia EX) is mostly dry within seconds.

Also, if there are temperature swings, the different coefficients of expansion (or whatever it's called) between the glass and the paper will further discourage any bonding between the two.

I'm sleeping well. Can't say that I would be if I was laminating directly to glass. But again, that's just me and my set of irrational fears, which also includes running alone in mountain lion country and swimming where white sharks are occasionally spotted.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:15:47 pm by pcgpcg »

Robcat

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:30 am »

So why do you even want the glass then? Glass changes the appearance of matte prints significantly (just do 2 small prints, one on matte and one on baryta/semi-gloss, look at them side by side, and lay a piece of glass overtop the pair). So if you don't insist on retaining a pure matte look, why not just coat your print and leave it open? I've been doing that for some years (and no, I can't prove what they'll look like in 100 yrs). Go glass-free!

Herbc

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:43:17 pm »

Ok, let's hear it for glass free! really? How does one keep the print flat? Dry mount works for me, but I suspect there are other less heavy duty methods? 8)

snowrs

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:57 pm »

You can buy 'spacers' to separate the print from the glass surface.  They go around the inside of the frame against the cutout.  Only problem with them is that I could never find any place that sold them in small quantities.  If your prints are dry mounted or adhesive mounted to a board, they work well.

bob snow

chez

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »

So why do you even want the glass then? Glass changes the appearance of matte prints significantly (just do 2 small prints, one on matte and one on baryta/semi-gloss, look at them side by side, and lay a piece of glass overtop the pair). So if you don't insist on retaining a pure matte look, why not just coat your print and leave it open? I've been doing that for some years (and no, I can't prove what they'll look like in 100 yrs). Go glass-free!

I've gone glass free for years using matte or other textured papers. Brings the richness and paper texture out which would be hidden behind glass.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:31:13 pm »

...why not just coat your print and leave it open? I've been doing that for some years...
What do you coat with and how do you mount to keep the print flat?

BTW your still lifes are gorgeous!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:42:42 pm »

To me a photo without a mat board just looks cheap, like a poster.
I occasionally frame works without a mat board if requested with spacers but it not only does not look as good but actually costs more.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

PIsaacs

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:44 am »

What about dust and dirt settling on the glass-free surface, especially in a city environment? Cleaning would take a lot longer than with glass because you'd need to be a lot more careful.

chez

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:38 am »

What about dust and dirt settling on the glass-free surface, especially in a city environment? Cleaning would take a lot longer than with glass because you'd need to be a lot more careful.

If you cost the prit, it's just a matter of using a damp clothe to clean the surface.
Pages: [1]   Go Up