Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PowerBook display too warm after calibration  (Read 5182 times)

AnthonyAdachi

• http://
PowerBook display too warm after calibration
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:10:24 pm »

Hello all,

My PowerBook's display seems excessively warm tinted (i.e.- too yellowish) after calibrating it with the GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display 2.

What could be the issue here?

If it's of any of relevance, these are the configurations that I used and other background info:

I have a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz 17" running Mac OS 10.3.9 and am using Eye-One Match version 3.6.

*Match's Preferences are set to:

ICC specification version 2
Small (Matrix)

* Advanced Profiling mode.

* Monitor Type selected: laptop.

* White Point: Medium White (6500).

*Gamma: 2.2

* For luminance I initially tried selecting 90. Later,  I chose custom. Calibrating the display at the normal brightness setting I usually use (about 1/2 between the darkest & lightest settings) and then with the display set to it's brightest setting.

The display seemed warm regardless of these settings.

The ambient light was a darkened room.

Thanks,

Anthony

Serge Cashman

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:49:16 pm »

The issue seems to be the white point. Either 6500 looks too warm for you (these things are subjective) or there was an error in calibration.

Try calibrating to Native white point, which is recommended for LCDs anyway. Essentially it just measures the factory default white point and records it in the profile.

med007

• http://www.openphotographyforums.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 12:54:10 am »

Hello all,

My PowerBook's display seems excessively warm tinted (i.e.- too yellowish) after calibrating it with the GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display 2.

What could be the issue here?

If it's of any of relevance, these are the configurations that I used and other background info:

I have a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz 17" running Mac OS 10.3.9 and am using Eye-One Match version 3.6.

*Match's Preferences are set to:

ICC specification version 2
Small (Matrix)

* Advanced Profiling mode.

* Monitor Type selected: laptop.

* White Point: Medium White (6500).

*Gamma: 2.2

* For luminance I initially tried selecting 90. Later,  I chose custom. Calibrating the display at the normal brightness setting I usually use (about 1/2 between the darkest & lightest settings) and then with the display set to it's brightest setting.

The display seemed warm regardless of these settings.

The ambient light was a darkened room.

Thanks,

Anthony
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=64223\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anthony,

Some simple questions. Which GM instrument are you using? Have you ever used that before to succesfully calibrate your monitor? What is the lighting in your room? Tungsten?

Do you autocailbrate the puck before using it? When you do, is it shielded from outside light? Is the white reference tile clean? Is your screen clean? Do you have bright colors in the room/

Of course, you might have controlled all these things, and you probably have, still all these points can lead to erronious calibration and/or perception.

I would try native setting and see how it looks.

BTW, the screen is not really for accurate color work anyway, just for checking focus, sorting and dealing with your histograms, S curve, sharpening etc. As soon as you mess with color using a lesser screen, then one is working at the limit of the equipment, which might or might not be OK for your work.

Asher
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www
Pages: [1]   Go Up