Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H or V - I still cant decide (OK, I decided)  (Read 2589 times)

Endeavour

Hasselblad H or V - I still cant decide (OK, I decided)
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:29:53 am »

I've been looking for a while for a decent MF system to 'upgrade' from my exiting 5D setup.
I will be using it mainly for portraits/fashion type shoots (very occasional landscape as I already have a system for this)
I am ok with shooting & developing film.

I've found a couple of nice looking 500c/m kits although their prices vary wildly.
I have also found a decent H1 body for a reasonable price locally.

Both setups will require me to get a new lens - as they all seem to come with the 80mm which is not long enough for the stuff I want to shoot (ideally 150mm+)

Obviously the H1 system is going to cost me a lot more (lens costing more than the body) and then I have the back to consider as well.
The main reason I am looking at H bodies, is for the autofocus.

But other than cost, are there any drawbacks to the H1 over a V series?

sorry if this is a repetative question.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:28:01 am by lotusEsp »

Endeavour

Re: Hasselblad H or V - I still cant decide
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:36:44 am »

I should add, I am not discounting other bodies, i.e. phase one, it's just that hassy seems to have a bit more availability here.

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:31 am »

I've never used a V series. But I've owned an H1 and H5X and used an H4X. Besides AF, the big thing that comes to mind is the max shutter speed of 1/500 vs 1/800. Plus going forward, it's tough to predict how V lenses will perform on higher and higher MP backs.

-Doug

alastairbird

• http://www.alastairbird.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:46 am »

I have used both with digital backs over the last decade. I far prefer the 500-series setup, as it is more robust and the form factor is more to my liking, but the lack of AF just killed me. I had a very nice custom screen made for me by a super fellow in Decatur (his name escapes me, but he knew more about camera optics than I thought possible) but it still wasn't enough.

I found that if I was on a tripod, carefully focussing and the subject was not moving I could get a reasonably acceptable shot with a bit of practice. But hand-held or moving in any way and it was a major challenge.

My CF-39 is now mounted on an old H1. It only has that one AF point but it is bang on every time. My ratio of in-focus images went up dramatically. I don't have to worry about it any more.

That said, the CF-lens adapter, although a bit clunky, works well with the old lenses. I'm very happy with how my 50fle and 40fle work with the 39-mp files. Nice and sharp...

The 500-series has been relegated to shooting film.

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:53:01 am »

thanks for the comments

I am really wanting autofocus (even if its a single point)
I am happy manual focusing when I can take my time on landscapes but for fashion etc it's just too risky

anyone want to buy a slightly used kidney?

JV

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »

I own both as well.

The H system is the better camera but unfortunately it does not have the iconic look of the V system... :)

The AF tends to get better with each new model.  The H1 is good but recent models like the H4x and H5x will be better.

If you like shooting film and 6x6 I would recommend the Rolleiflex Hy6 which has AF on a limited number of lenses.  It is more expensive though.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:54:26 pm »

HI,

I would think that the ideal upgrade for your Canon 5D would be a Canon 5Ds or 5DsR or possibly a Sony A7rII.

I am a pretty happy owner of a Hasselblad 555/ELD with a bunch of lenses and P45+ and I also own a Sony A7rII with another bunch of lenses.

The V series/P45+ can take very good images but focusing is hard. Also, it is not a recent system. But you can buy everything dirt cheap, except the back and the 40/4 CFE which often comes at a price. It is vintage stuff.

I have never owned/used a H-series camera, but I understand the H-lenses are pretty good by modern means and the cameras are modern.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. I am not really into selling my Hasselblad/P45+ kit, but I am always open for a decent bid. The kit consists of an 555/ELD, 40/4 CF, 60/3.5 CF, 100/3.5 CF, 120/4 CFI, 180/4 CFI plus a P45+ back. Some sample images are here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/BernardSamples/

I've been looking for a while for a decent MF system to 'upgrade' from my exiting 5D setup.
I will be using it mainly for portraits/fashion type shoots (very occasional landscape as I already have a system for this)
I am ok with shooting & developing film.

I've found a couple of nice looking 500c/m kits although their prices vary wildly.
I have also found a decent H1 body for a reasonable price locally.

Both setups will require me to get a new lens - as they all seem to come with the 80mm which is not long enough for the stuff I want to shoot (ideally 150mm+)

Obviously the H1 system is going to cost me a lot more (lens costing more than the body) and then I have the back to consider as well.
The main reason I am looking at H bodies, is for the autofocus.

sorry if this is a repetative question.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:14:58 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

hasselbladfan

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:17:27 pm »

The H system may be a bit more expensive, but I would recommend that for ease of using, AF, sharper lenses then CF/CFi, possibility to upgrade later, ... etc. you go for H.

I took the decision years ago to move to H and I don't regret. My V system stays mostly in the drawer.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:17 pm »

It is interesting that I have a 5D2 and was looking at a 5D3 upgrade. For less money than a 5D3 and a decent lens I bought a Hasselblad H1 with P20+ back and 80mm lens kit. I was then hooked. I have now upgraded to H2, then H3DII-31 and now H3DII-39. Even at the H1 the image quality was way above the 5D2, which I thought was pretty good. I wanted to make large prints and the 20MP 5D2 was not great at a metre wide as it's only 5000 pixels on the long edge. 7000 pixels on the Blad and 16 bit colour makes a huge difference in landscapes.

I have never used a V series. Would love to own one to put in the old camera collection, but that is really what it is, an old camera. If you want to shoot film maybe, but there are many options there, even with the H series. The great thing about MF is that every sheep is running to sell them to buy a 50MP tiny camera to get a poorer performance at really a higher cost. HC lenses are expensive, but so are L series Canons. You just need to keep your eyes open.

I still have the H3DII-31 and it is for sale if interested. All of the current lenses work with it AFAIK.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:42:59 am »

Thanks for the comments.

So after doing a fair amount of research over the weekend, I'm probably going to go for an H1 system as a way 'in' to MF

I have two available options in-front of me right now:

1) H1 with 80mm & a film back. Pros: cheap & ready to shoot. Can drive over and pick it up. Cons: body is a little scruffy and of course I need to get the film(s) processed.

2) H1 with 80mm & a p25 back. Pros: digital so no 'faffing'. Better condition body than the one above. Cons: unknown price but undoubtedly much more expensive. Has to be shipped from the US to Canada.

I would favor option 2, if I knew a decent price to offer for it. Any ideas please?

thanks for all your help/advice so far.

Ken R

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »

Thanks for the comments.

So after doing a fair amount of research over the weekend, I'm probably going to go for an H1 system as a way 'in' to MF

I have two available options in-front of me right now:

1) H1 with 80mm & a film back. Pros: cheap & ready to shoot. Can drive over and pick it up. Cons: body is a little scruffy and of course I need to get the film(s) processed.

2) H1 with 80mm & a p25 back. Pros: digital so no 'faffing'. Better condition body than the one above. Cons: unknown price but undoubtedly much more expensive. Has to be shipped from the US to Canada.

I would favor option 2, if I knew a decent price to offer for it. Any ideas please?

thanks for all your help/advice so far.

The H1 is a solid body. I really like mine (I use it with a IQ160 back and the 80mm lens) for studio and location portrait work. I have not used it with film but have the film back if needed (super easy to use).

I generally prefer 6x7 when working with roll film though.

The H1 body is super easy to use and the AF is quite reliable. It is fast enough for my needs. It is just a no nonsense body that just work and its modularity makes it easy to repair and or replace items as needed.

Endeavour

Re: Hasselblad H or V - I still cant decide (OK, I decided)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 06:29:26 am »

I finally made my mind up.

I went for the H1 with a kit lens and film back.

I have a processing lab close by who can sort out my rolls until I buy/rent a digital back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up