Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Legacy Papers  (Read 7558 times)

rdonson

Re: Epson Legacy Papers
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 09:15:36 pm »

My understanding is it's somewhere between a simply tweak and a ground up from scratch new papers...I've seen and printed on them with the Epson P800 and I can tell you the combo is a noticeable improvement in Dmax and color gamut.

Perhaps it's similar to what HP did with Hahnemuhle when the Z3100 first came out.  They worked with Hahnemuhle for a coating for Photo Rag that was specifically optimized for the HP inkset and sold as HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art Paper. 

In this case its not co-branded.
Regards,
Ron

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 06:34:06 am »

Can anyone explain how a matte paper can have a higher Dmax using photo black ink rather than matte black ink?  I saw this on the Epson video online also....thanks, eleanor

I have not seen any Dmax numbers for that paper yet so just a guess. Is the claim that this matte paper makes a better Dmax with photo black than the Dmax possible on other matte papers with either photo black or matte black ink? Then it becomes interesting as a product and harder to explain how it could work. On the other hand if the claim is just that it gives better Dmax with photo black than with matte black it could be that the matte black ink does not even penetrate the surface and stays on top in bronzing fashion, that usually does not give a high Dmax but would not indicate a superior matte paper Dmax. The less matte the surface is and the glossy black ink just below that matte surface but encapsulated would do the trick.  Not to mention dye black ink behavior which can be a good thing if it does not compromise the longevity. The development of pigment and dye inks is not ended yet (nor that of the paper coatings) and there are hybrids between them where the particle size and particle structure blends the advantages of both. Next we may see blood cell behavior with amorf shapes that allow easier flowing, good penetration of the coating and ordered flat stacking in the compatible coating of an inkjet paper. This is nano scale technology.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »

"Signature Worthy," now "Legacy" ...  I think the marketing department is going to run out of grandiose names for their latest batch of inkjet paper. 
There's always Artisan (unless it's been used for papers).  ;D  Unless that marketing term can now only be used in supermarkets.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »

Paul, thank you for the cynicism. I saw some advertorial piece saying it was the paper you should use for your best five images. They didn't say whether they meant the best 5 of your career ir of last week, but I suspect they are hoping people ignore that advice... unless they are going to sell cut sheets individually, or in a box of 5 as a life-time supply.

NeroMetalliko

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 06:22:25 pm »

Hello,

I have tried to ask the Epson Business Support here (Italy) for an extimated time of distribution in Europe of the Legacy Papers.
After a phone call, two e-mail and a week delay I got finally today an "official" answer stating this: (translated from Italian)

"We were sorry to inform you that the marketing in Europe is currently not planned.
If in the future should be some good news in this regard will be our pleasure to inform you.
"

Ok, I'm "officially" really disappointed now...
However, I'm not convinced that they will never sell these Legacy paper in Europe, but I fear that if/when this will happen it will not be very soon for sure, at least based on this sad answer.

If some of you is able to get a different feedback, please feel free to share here, it will be really appreciated.

Thanks again,
ciao.

Andrea :)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 07:05:41 am »

Hello,

I have tried to ask the Epson Business Support here (Italy) for an extimated time of distribution in Europe of the Legacy Papers.
After a phone call, two e-mail and a week delay I got finally today an "official" answer stating this: (translated from Italian)

"We were sorry to inform you that the marketing in Europe is currently not planned.
If in the future should be some good news in this regard will be our pleasure to inform you.
"

Ok, I'm "officially" really disappointed now...
However, I'm not convinced that they will never sell these Legacy paper in Europe, but I fear that if/when this will happen it will not be very soon for sure, at least based on this sad answer.

If some of you is able to get a different feedback, please feel free to share here, it will be really appreciated.

Thanks again,
ciao.

My paper supplier here in The Netherlands had no knowledge of the Epson Legacy papers either. I could not find any Epson EU announcement of them yet. It would be nice to receive some A4 sheets from the USA then so I can measure their spectral white for SpectrumViz. Which usually says something about their origin and might say which European distributed papers could be used as alternatives.

NeroMetalliko

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 08:10:12 am »

It would be nice to receive some A4 sheets from the USA then so I can measure their spectral white for SpectrumViz. Which usually says something about their origin and might say which European distributed papers could be used as alternatives.

Exactly,
and unluckily the sample pack (Epson Product # S450183) is still not in stock even in the US (BHphoto, Adorama, Atlex or ITsupplies just to say the first I have checked).
I'm very curious regarding these new papers but it seems I will have to wait very long before having something real in my hands to try...

Ciao,

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 10:08:14 pm »

The Epson Legacy papers are available in Rolls Only..Currently.

My company Does Have sample packs .. and Ernest..I think they are trying to keep them from you..LOL..

My Understanding is that Sheets will be available shortly..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 03:21:43 am »

My company Does Have sample packs .. and Ernest..I think they are trying to keep them from you..LOL..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper

This man will do the Photokina incognito but that is 7 months later. There used to be a time distributors offered me sheets or sample packs, from Germany, UK, USA. You might be right that the paper manufacturers rather keep the customers uninformed. It should be different for distributors with a wider choice in manufacturer catalogs, to a degree.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up