Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880/3800 network connection problem  (Read 2294 times)

hugowolf

Epson 3880/3800 network connection problem
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:19:06 pm »

My Epson 3880 is not connecting to my network. None of the network settings from the front panel console are available, except Network Settings > enable/disable. After enabling, nothing; I have no access to setting the IP address, etc.

The back lights show steady orange for 100 base TX, as opposed to steady green for 10 base T. The other light is flashing red. According to the manual, the other light flashing (it doesn’t say what color) indicates data transmission. It doesn’t seem like data transmission to me, more like a warning.

Could anyone with a 3880 or 3800 connected via Ethernet look behind their printer and let me know what your other light is doing?

I am thinking that the printer’s NIC has blown.

[I have reset the router. The 9890 is connected fine through the same router.]

Brian A

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Epson 3880/3800 network connection problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:00:04 am »

Your motherboard is gone. Happened to me twice. First fixed free under warranty. Second fixed free under duress. It is one of their Achilles Heel's.
If can't get it fixed under warranty then a long USB cable.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:37:53 am »

If can't get it fixed under warranty then a long USB cable.
Be careful with the length of that USB cable.  When I first set up my 3880 Printer I fiddled for the longest time to get it running.  The printer didn't react to any commands being sent from my Mac.  Problem truned out to be the length of the USB cable.  I had used the one from my Canon which was fairly long (can't recall the exact length).  I bought a shorter one (under 2  meters) and all was fine.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 08:38:10 am »

Or, as I mentioned on DPR, be on the lookout for someone dumping a 3880 due to blown head or something else and harvest the mobo.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »

Problem truned out to be the length of the USB cable.
You can get USB cables powered by the port that will go 5m. Most good electronics stores sell them. Similar to this
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Sight-%26-Sound-Personal/MP3-iPod-Accessories/MP3-iPod-Accessories/USB-Data-Extension-Cable/p/XC4839
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 12:11:53 pm »

You can get USB cables powered by the port that will go 5m.
I wasn't aware of that, Bob, thanks for mentioning it.  I'll either invest in such a cable or (finally!!) connect the printer via wifi - something I've been too lazy to do.  To be truthful, I hate cables.

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:42 pm »

Thanks everyone, sorry for the late response. [I am on a newly built computer at home, and my LaLu password is missing, along with three other more critical passwords, so I have access via fewer machines.]

Amazon has a 15 m active USB cable for a little less than US$30, so that is probably the way I will go.

Howard: how much work would be involved in replacing the main board with a junkyard board, if I can find one. I have no soldering equipment. I notice the the 3880 maintenance manual is now available since the SC P800 came out, not that it is much different from the 3800 manual, except for full color images.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up