Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple laptops  (Read 47164 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2016, 04:51:08 pm »

There's some rumor that the late 2017 MBP will have a 32 G RAM option. Unclear if Kaby Lake lower power chip will be available for Apple until fall.

I don't see that Lightroom will benefit significantly from more RAM than 16GB. One can always wait, but if what you have now is great, then why wait?

rdonson

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »

I don't see that Lightroom will benefit significantly from more RAM than 16GB. One can always wait, but if what you have now is great, then why wait?

Many photogs get by just fine with 16GB RAM.  Those who create very large files, 2GB or larger with loads of layers are likely to want more.  My wife finds 40GB RAM with her new iMac to be just about right.  ;)

Those working on video production can't seem to get enough RAM.
Regards,
Ron

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2016, 02:52:28 am »

Many photogs get by just fine with 16GB RAM.  Those who create very large files, 2GB or larger with loads of layers are likely to want more.  My wife finds 40GB RAM with her new iMac to be just about right.  ;)

Those working on video production can't seem to get enough RAM.

For me it is not just that today I'm ok with 16GB of RAM... That I'm... But I use my laptops for 5 years... Will be ok LR or whatever other software in 3 to 5 years with 16GB of RAM?

About Kaby Lake processors... The equivalent ones that Apple likes for laptops will be released beginning next year. They will support LPDDR4 type of memory... And in configurations higher than 16GB... The actual skylake chips that Apple uses also supported more than 16GB of RAM but using DDR4 memory... That consumes a bit more of energy and Apple does not like that...

That does not mean that Apple will update the processors... Apple is Apple... For example, Mac Pro is already several processor generations behind...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2016, 05:15:59 am »

For me it is not just that today I'm ok with 16GB of RAM... That I'm... But I use my laptops for 5 years... Will be ok LR or whatever other software in 3 to 5 years with 16GB of RAM?

About Kaby Lake processors... The equivalent ones that Apple likes for laptops will be released beginning next year. They will support LPDDR4 type of memory... And in configurations higher than 16GB... The actual skylake chips that Apple uses also supported more than 16GB of RAM but using DDR4 memory... That consumes a bit more of energy and Apple does not like that...

That does not mean that Apple will update the processors... Apple is Apple... For example, Mac Pro is already several processor generations behind...

I checked memory usage running mail, safari with 20 tabs, Photoshop opening 20 50MP 5Ds R files as layers and Lightroom generating 1:1 previews all at the same time. While opening the many 5Ds R files there was a brief memory pressure indicated by the Activity Monitor. Afterwards Lightroom was using 4GB memory and Photoshop 8,5GB and no memory pressure was reported any more. I never use that many layers in Photoshop that would take up as much space as this and the file size was about 8GB. It is hard to look 5 years out in the future for sure, but I wouldn't worry about the 16GB as a photographer doing stills. Video I'm not into so can't comment on this. Resolution of cameras does not go up that fast. 8 years ago I got the Canon 1Ds III which was 21MP and now I have the 5Ds R at 50MP so in 5 years we may have 80MP which will not make a huge difference.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2016, 05:45:39 am »

It is not just the resolution... The programs and OS evolve... and they use more memory to do same thing at the same time...

Personally, although for photography it may be ok for me, since I also do software development and some video editing I like to be in the safe side of things

N80

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2016, 09:18:05 am »

Just got my 4th new Dell laptop due to failures and flaws. Two screws on the back fell out.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2016, 11:56:47 am »

It is not just the resolution... The programs and OS evolve... and they use more memory to do same thing at the same time...

Personally, although for photography it may be ok for me, since I also do software development and some video editing I like to be in the safe side of things

Yes agreed. I only mentioned one aspect which of course does affect performance very significantly. Looking 5 years back  and to my next monitor (LG 5K for the MBP) the screen resolution goes 4x in resolution from what I used 5 years ago. So that is major too. Will that have changed in 5 years from now? We could already be at 8K at the time and the current MBP would not support that. In terms of software I think Lightroom with current functionality will work as well 5 years from now as now, but the big question is, what new functionality will we get for editing images especially and how that will impact requirements. Personally I use the MBP as my only machine and for my business, so I upgrade whenever I feel it justified for what I do, but for many others it is not like this. The same goes for my cameras. 

NancyP

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »

Well, I will go look at the new MBP soon. I tend to max out all specs and use a laptop for 6 to 7 years. I am on year 6 of my current non-Retina MBP, and have not upgraded to a high-MP camera, still working with 20 MP files. The one time my computer really coughs is with ginormous panorama merges, that's with 8 G RAM and ~20 20MP images. So 16 G RAM should be fine for me for now. So whenever I get around to upgrading, I will have a real shock, what with move to Retina, vast improvement in speed of everything, ....

N80

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2016, 02:40:44 pm »

Retina vs non-Retina is huge. I have come to regret a good bit of the post-processing I've done over the years on my non-Retina MBP.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Chris D

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2016, 08:12:45 am »

So I just bought my first PC ever.  Like most people I was incredibly underwhelmed with the recent mbp updates, so stated looking at non-mac options, and have to say there is a lot of cool stuff out there for photographers and creatives.  I started with the surfaces, but they don't really seem powerful enough for anything other than very basic editing or tethering, and have a small gamut screen.  This let me to the vaio z canvas, which has an incredible screen(95% aRGB), but gen 4 chipset, and a screen that is slightly too small(15in would be perfect).  I finally found the dell precision mobile's and ordered one this week when it was on sale.  64gb ram max, 2 hd bays and a full aRGB coverage screen were the main selling points.  It also has 3 years of pro support with next day on site repair, so no more need to waste time at the genus bar...

I'm still a bit in shock that I'm going to be using a pc, but it's become abundantly clear that apple doesn't want my business anymore...  why don't they have high gamut monitors? laptops like the surface books where you can use a stylus on screen? multiple hd options? aRGB instead of P3? more ram? etc? 

The great thing about the advent of cloud computing is that I can go back and forth depending on who releases the best devices.  I can just deactivate adobe cc and capture one on a mac, and activate on a pc, or vice versa.  The only issue is data storage, and that's something I'm trying to figure out.  It looks like there are at least a few good options to have external hd's and a raid available for both mac and pc's. 

I don't really care who makes my computer, just that it works and makes my workflow faster and easier, and at this point apple isn't doing that...

rdonson

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2016, 10:57:25 am »

...  why don't they have high gamut monitors?...  aRGB instead of P3?

Do you have concerns with P3 as a color space?  Its pretty common for digital cinema projection.

http://www.astramael.com/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:21:31 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Chris D

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2016, 11:58:50 am »

Do you have concerns with P3 as a color space?  Its pretty common for digital cinema projection.

http://www.astramael.com/

Of course - aRGB is standard for still images. aRGB is and has always been the standard - just another example of apple fixing what's not broken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scyth

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »

The great thing about the advent of cloud computing is that I can go back and forth depending on who releases the best devices.  I can just deactivate adobe cc and capture one on a mac, and activate on a pc, or vice versa.

this is nothing to do with a cloud though... it is a simple remote activation/deactivation of your licenses... cloud here is nothing more but marketing plug.

rdonson

« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:51 pm »

Of course - aRGB is standard for still images. aRGB is and has always been the standard - just another example of apple fixing what's not broken!

Other than P3 not being a still image standard what problem do you have with the color space itself?  I've not heard of anyone complaining about P3 negatively affecting their still photography.

Kind seems like Apple trying to be inclusive for the video producers.
Regards,
Ron

Chris D

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:33 pm »

this is nothing to do with a cloud though... it is a simple remote activation/deactivation of your licenses... cloud here is nothing more but marketing plug.

I guess I mis-typed.  What I mean is that it's not like the old days where you buy a copy of photoshop that either works on PC or Mac... You can just download whatever version you need.

Other than P3 not being a still image standard what problem do you have with the color space itself?  I've not heard of anyone complaining about P3 negatively affecting their still photography.

Kind seems like Apple trying to be inclusive for the video producers.

I don't have anything against the color space itself, just that it's not a current standard.  As far as I know(and this is a bit beyond my immediate knowledge) most video editors use NEC and eizo monitors that are aRGB monitors. 

I deliver images in aRGB and then they are converted to cmyk(which is tiny of course) for press.  Using wide gamut aRGB monitors has greatly simplified my workflow.  It's removed all the guesswork and having to get to know your monitor... it's wysiwyg.  Having that in a laptop display so I can not just start but get into the nitty gritty of grading and tweaking files in C1 on the road is a game changer.  When the entire world is calibrated for aRGB, P3 isn't a help.

If P3 were the standard, then of course I'd think that apple(and everyone else) should be using it...  They're all very usable spaces, so I don't care what the standard is.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2016, 03:45:08 pm »

There is one thing I noticed on the new MBP 15" and that is that the default scaling is 1680x1050 which means that it is not scaling 1:1 to the native resolution of the display which is 2880x1800. The correct scaling is 1440x900 which will map one image pixel to a screen pixel when you zoom into images 1:1. Previous MBP's had 1440x900 as the default scaling. When I get my 5K display the scaling need to be 2560x1440.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »

One reason for slightly slower performance of the 2016 MBP is the turboboost is lower on the maxed out 2016 BP than the maxed out 2015 model. 2016: 2.9Ghz and turbo boost 3.8Ghz and 2015 was 2.8Ghz and turbo boost 4.0Ghz.This guy has some more details on the differences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHYmtgik1iY&t=958s

softite

• Softite LLC
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:00 am »

Ok, so first of all I would like to recommend taking the MacBook pro because they're the most advanced computers, and yes, definitely get a mac they are the best laptops/computers out there.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2016, 03:11:58 am »

I would say the nicest or have the best case and great display. But the best? What is the best? They certainly aren't the fastest.

In regards to desktop computers, I would never consider a slow and expensive mac. It would just be a frustration and a waste of money.

I think the current laptop models are great. I probably still wait for their hardware upgrade in 17.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

NancyP

« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2016, 01:15:59 pm »

I got a decent deal on a factory refurbished mid-2015 top-of-line 15" MBP, so I now have money ready for that Canon 24mm tilt shift lens, also refurbished ...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up