Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple laptops  (Read 47187 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 10:24:35 pm »

You're not really a Mac user at heart, are you, Chris? ;-)...
Ah, but I am and have been since the late eighties - that's what makes the slide in Apple's regard for the pro user so galling.

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:10 pm »

Ah, but I am and have been since the late eighties - that's what makes the slide in Apple's regard for the pro user so galling.

I was really being TIC, but, yeah, I get where you're coming from.  Apple's user base has changed, unfortunately - and I say that as "not a Mac user at heart" because many people I know in related industries love and rely on them, but like you, they're finding the love to be lacking as pro users :(  My third computer was an Apple IIe - they've done many amazing things (and some not so great ones, but that's any company).  Maybe they'll surprise us, but I feel that the pro user has very much taken a back seat for the last 5 years, if not a little longer.
Phil Brown

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 01:39:54 am »

My current 4.5 year old MacBook Pro has the same processor but a _tiny_ bit slower clock speed (i7 2.6gHx vs the 'new' i7 2.7 gHz). It has the same 16 GB RAM but does have an arguably slower video card.

Don't compare the intel processors just by the speed... the are several generations of i7s... the performance speed is much more than the ghz speed will let you know... Intel has been using the i7 name since 2008... but each year, more or less, releases a new model with 5% to 10% performance speed depending on the task... the GPU inside the processor is even much better...

Saying that... the event of yesterday wasn't that exciting... not that convinced with that touch bar since I rarely look at the keyboard, 4 USB-c/thunderbolt 3/usb3.1 gen 2 ports are ok with me... but now that the projectors around the world have typically an hdmi connector for presentations... apple drops it...

Curios times when the Microsoft event of two days ago was more exciting...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

SZRitter

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 09:15:20 am »

I'm 50/50 on the update. I personally rarely use the function keys, so context sensitive switching on the bar is kind of cool, but I don't know if it will work in the long run or is just a gimmick. Yes, only having four USB-C ports is disappointing in the short term, but the one that really annoys me is the lack of an SD Card reader. I use mine all the freaking time, and it is super convenient when traveling.

N80

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 09:47:33 am »

Very unimpressed with the new MacBooks. The prices, however, are quite impressive. My current MBP is pushing 8 years old and starting to show it. This new lineup is uninspiring to me and I have found that I do not get the best possible results when doing post on a laptop. This has me wondering if the iPad pro might not be a better upgrade path for me as I do not rely on my MBP for much else than internet, email and word processing. The iPad Pro would be fine for viewing and sorting images when away from home, even light post processing. Just not sure I'm willing to spend close to $3000 on a high end MBP or even $1500 for a small low end one.

Has anyone else considered ditching their laptop for a high end pad?
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 03:54:20 pm »

Nope, but ditching the MBP for a windows based version. As I have to use C1 a iPad is no alternative...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Endeavour

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »

pro users are increasingly niche to Apple and to a certain extent MS too.

if you aren't doing intensive tasks, i.e. just regular office work - then a new surface is viable as a complete desktop replacement

Farmer

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 05:57:19 pm »

They might be niche to MS - I'm not sure - but they're definitely being targeted.

https://youtu.be/BzMLA8YIgG0

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-studio/tech-specs

Add to that the new Surface Book and the expected updates to the Surface Pro - that's extraordinarily high end specs for a non-pro user and they are poignantly not that great for gaming (you can, but it's not a key experience) which is a nice that might otherwise be prepared to play in that price range.

Yes, it's a start - it's an iMac on steroids for want of a better description, and that's not the not the same as  Mac Pro, for example, but the Surface Book 100% targets the MacBook Pro.

MS has had great success with Surface and they also benefit from the closed architecture that Apple has had for so long as a major plus for OS X (Windows biggest problem has always been trying to support all the third party hardware out there - something it does remarkably well overall excluding certain releases we all know about).

If Surface Studio has any real level of success, you can expect them to look at even higher spec hardware that would be in the Mac Pro space.

So, yeah, it may or may not be niche, but it's definitely targeted by them and I think more so that Apple currently.
Phil Brown

Benny Profane

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »

A good rant.

https://medium.com/charged-tech/apple-just-told-the-world-it-has-no-idea-who-the-mac-is-for-722a2438389b#.jb65en6fh

I predicted something like this would happen after they threw dirt on Jobs. That man was special, one of a kind. I wake up today in the bizarro world where Microsoft releases the more exciting desk PC. Sigh. Enjoy your IPhones, but, you can't do Photoshop on one of those things. Well, a little, but, don't show me.

Btw, I despise this IPad I'm typing on right now. If somebody puts a nice Android tablet in my hands at a fair price, I'll switch. I only use it to surf, basically, but it can't even do that effectively 20% of the time.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:45 pm »

. . . I predicted something like this would happen after they threw dirt on Jobs. That man was special, one of a kind. I wake up today in the bizarro world where Microsoft releases the more exciting desk PC. Sigh.   .. . . . .

+1

Last winter, one of my sons bought a quad-core i7 Lenovo. With 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, touch screen, USB 3.0. New. $954USD. I can't get a used Macbook for that price.
~ CB

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 09:58:58 pm »

Graphics card is a pretty big boost, especially if you opt for the top card.  System memory operates at over 10% increased speed, and SSD speed is up to 100% faster.  There's a lot more to speed than the CPU clock speed.  Certainly depends on the types of applications you are running ... I don't do video, but it seems this machine would handle 4K video editing better than the current one ... maybe even all video editing.  Raided SSD external storage with Thunderbolt3 speeds would make external storage access amazing fast.

The new display sounds like the new increased gamut is substantial enough to be interesting, not sure how well it translates to higher end image work. Won't compete with a nice high end NEC, but maybe more useful than the current one.

The display bar is intriguing, but of course the usability will depend on how well the programs you use leverage it. I hate trying to remember what function key does what, so it would amazing if Photoshop actions assigned as a function key showed up in the bar with the name.  I think it could be very useful and cool if the applications leverage it's functionality.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 08:45:33 am »

Graphics card is a pretty big boost, especially if you opt for the top card.  System memory operates at over 10% increased speed, and SSD speed is up to 100% faster.  There's a lot more to speed than the CPU clock speed.  Certainly depends on the types of applications you are running ... I don't do video, but it seems this machine would handle 4K video editing better than the current one ... maybe even all video editing.  Raided SSD external storage with Thunderbolt3 speeds would make external storage access amazing fast.

The new display sounds like the new increased gamut is substantial enough to be interesting, not sure how well it translates to higher end image work. Won't compete with a nice high end NEC, but maybe more useful than the current one.

The display bar is intriguing, but of course the usability will depend on how well the programs you use leverage it. I hate trying to remember what function key does what, so it would amazing if Photoshop actions assigned as a function key showed up in the bar with the name.  I think it could be very useful and cool if the applications leverage it's functionality.

Yes, from a technical perspective the upgrade is quite good... and reading ars technical analysis, http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/10/15-hours-with-the-13-macbook-pro-and-how-apples-t1-bridges-arm-and-intel/ , looks like the touch bar was more complicated to look that one will think... they explain why the ram is only 16gb, but I would give the user the option to sacrifice battery for power...

But creating the event, only present this, without even updating the rest of mac line... looks like something is missing and not going in the direction some people, even me, would like...

Anyway, my MacBook still has three years on it... I don't like the idea of going to windows to use Lightroom... more a unix guy here...

http://dgpfotografia.com

owinthomas

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 09:18:04 am »

Add the fact that, for the U.K. at least, Apple has just increased their prices for MBP by around 20%.

Due to downturn in GBP (£) after the Brexit result.

rdonson

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:16 am »

Wayne, for me the touchbar is also interesting and perhaps quite useful for its fingerprint capability.  1Password just announced they'd be supporting fingerprint on the new MBP like they do on the newer iPhones and iPads.

Alas, I'm not looking for a new MBP.  This one still has another couple of good years in it unless Adobe pays no attention to RAM consumption with PS and LR.

Regards,
Ron

Christopher

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 11:36:16 am »

My problem is the slow graphic card and cpu in the 13in model.

I currently have the 15in and it's just heavy and big. I do t need that big screen and really want something smaller. However, I'm not sure if the smaller mac would handle sorting and checking IQ3100 files with C1. Any opinions?

Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 11:37:42 am »

I ordered one and will report back in early December.  I'm away in Antarctica until the 30th and it delivers to the store on the 25th.  I know where my first stop will be. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 12:18:32 pm »

Did you order a 13in model?

Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »

I was hoping for a rose-gold one  ;)

Then they could call it the macbook blink
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2016, 06:04:14 am »

I mean, if they say that the audio port is dated technology (which is not) why keep it on the Macbook Pro? And if you want to make everything thunderbolt, why leave the lightning port on the phone?

I agree they are not very consistent...
Like with the iPhone SE without haptic touchscreen- making it different to work with than the other iPhones.
But must say it is typical for Apple to walk upfront with usb-c. In some years they think it will be the ultimate plug for all the devices.
In the past  they dumpt floppy disc/ dumpt DVD/ etc; the lightning connector that for years had only few items that could be attached.
The only difference was ; it was a small company- now they are effecting the use for many more people.
Windows machines always solve that problem by making many many different ports...old and new.
resulting in ugly hardware but convenient to attach to other hardware.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:11:19 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2016, 06:54:54 am »

I understand Apple's motivation wrt the USB-C connector (and with the Lightning connector for audio on the iPhone) -- they can drive the entire industry in that direction given their size and market share, while no single Android maker could do so.

I do not understand the removal of useful ports on a "professional" laptop -- specifically the SD card reader slot and HDMI. I'm also going to seriously miss the mag-safe power connector, considering how many times my laptop didn't fly off the table when I (or someone else) walked past and tripped on the power cable.

If I weren't in serious need of a new computer, I'd wait another year or two. I looked at buying the previous-gen 15 inch MBP, but they've removed the option for the separate video card. Sigh.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up