Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple laptops  (Read 47409 times)

landscapephoto

Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2016, 10:18:47 am »

What I would like to know is whether the new Macbooks support the firewire adapter. I am dependent on firewire for tethering my camera. At present, I use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter on a macbook air. Does somebody know whether the usb/TB3 to TB2 adapter will allow to connect the TB to firewire adapter?

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2016, 03:26:57 pm »

Chris,....  thanks for the link,... got my laugh for the day.
Leszek, G

rdonson

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2016, 08:15:48 pm »

What I would like to know is whether the new Macbooks support the firewire adapter. I am dependent on firewire for tethering my camera. At present, I use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter on a macbook air. Does somebody know whether the usb/TB3 to TB2 adapter will allow to connect the TB to firewire adapter?

http://www.apple.com/search/Thunderbolt-to-Firewire-Adapter?src=alp

Note:  That's the old Thunderbolt port NOT the USB-C
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:31:40 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

landscapephoto

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 01:35:39 am »

http://www.apple.com/search/Thunderbolt-to-Firewire-Adapter?src=alp

Note:  That's the old Thunderbolt port NOT the USB-C

I already have this adapter. The question is whether it works on the TB3 to TB2 adapter on the new laptops.

SZRitter

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 11:29:10 am »

I think something to keep in mind, is the "Pro" base they are going after may not be the graphic arts anymore. With a large web developers and almost all app developers going to Apple, this is probably the single biggest "Pro" market.

Also, my bet on the loss of the SD card slot was to prevent people from buying smaller HDD configurations and using the SD card slot to work as a second HDD. I do it on one of my ultrabooks, and it works decently well.

rdonson

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 11:56:17 am »

I already have this adapter. The question is whether it works on the TB3 to TB2 adapter on the new laptops.

This is the best device I've seen so far.

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/

There's a good chance Caldigit may offer something similar as well but it's not announced. I have 2 Caldigit Thunderbolt stations and they've been rock solid for me.
Regards,
Ron

landscapephoto

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 12:45:35 pm »

There's a good chance Caldigit may offer something similar as well but it's not announced. I have 2 Caldigit Thunderbolt stations and they've been rock solid for me.

Thank you. Good to know that somebody is designing a TB3 hub with firewire.

elliot_n

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 12:58:44 pm »

Thank you. Good to know that somebody is designing a TB3 hub with firewire.

But no TB1/TB2.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 05:28:54 pm »

New Apple slogan in the vein of "there's an app for that":

...there's a dongle for that  :P

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:34 pm »

Really?  Are you an Apple customer or simply channeling others thoughts?  How is Apple failing the creative market?

Myself, I'm happy with Apple.  I'm not enamored with the constant claims of thinner/lighter on the MacBook Pros but my retina MacBook Pro is a solid machine. 

They're typically are ahead of the curve on many tech standards in their products.  I look forward to 1Q17 and the Kaby Lake desktops.  Thunderbolt 3, USB C,  is the way forward for me.

I've been an Apple customer since 1988, and I honestly feel that they have forgotten about customers and are completely wrapped in themselves internally with how "cool" they think they are. I say this as a "Voice of the Customer" professional who feels Apple has lost its way.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 11:47:21 pm »

I think something to keep in mind, is the "Pro" base they are going after may not be the graphic arts anymore. With a large web developers and almost all app developers going to Apple, this is probably the single biggest "Pro" market.

Also, my bet on the loss of the SD card slot was to prevent people from buying smaller HDD configurations and using the SD card slot to work as a second HDD. I do it on one of my ultrabooks, and it works decently well.

Possible, but from what I've read, the developers are pretty unhappy about not having an Escape key.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 11:49:41 pm »

So, you're saying you think you will need an adapter for an adapter to connect your Firewire device? If so, I feel for you...this should not be necessary.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:11:36 am by Stephen Scharf »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2016, 12:09:07 am »

This would be fine except for two things 1) it's really only convenient when using the MBP as a "desktop" computer; its too big to be convenient for portable use; it also probably weighs at least a pound, and would be too heavy to transport around and 2) it's missing Thunderbolt 2 ports.

Here's an interesting statement by Steve Foksett as quoted on The Verge: "Consider a simple USB-C HDMI adapter: It could implement HDMI over USB 3.0 or it could use Alternate Mode (native) HDMI. It could also use HDMI “multiplexed” with Thunderbolt Alternate Mode or even (theoretically) implement HDMI over Thunderbolt using an off-board graphics chip! Of these options, only the newest computers, like the MacBook Pro, would support all three. Can you imagine the consumer confusion when they purchase a “USB-C HDMI adapter” only to find that it doesn’t work with their MacBook or Pixel or whatever?"

Good grief.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:35:57 am by Stephen Scharf »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2016, 01:02:00 am »

Possible, but from what I've read, the developers are pretty unhappy about not having an Escape key.

Escape key is a minor thing... I'm a developer, the 16 GB limit it is what it really worries me.

But I think the problem are not the dongles or specifically the ram limit, it is the sensation Apple is creating to the PRO community... being developers, photographers, videographers... etc. It is that they don't care too mucha about us...

Long periods between updates... an even that... the last Mac Pro, many videographers were not really happy with it... the Mac mini is already forgotten, the iMac has not been updated this year... not even a minor spec bump... and then the stellar upgrade of the MacBook Pro is just a touch bar... with a worst keyboard (that it is important for developers) and limited RAM (I am sure that if they upgraded to Kaby Lake next year that problem will go away... if you can wait for the upgrade)

And Apple has a past... many remember that they were forgotten when they stopped doing Aperture to focus on Photos... not just a Pro application... many are still piss with the moving from Final Cut to Final Cut X... and many, because of the previous things, have already move to non Apple apps...

And I think that it is a problem for Apple... because if you are not tied to their apps... and people think they are not doing powerful machines to perform their work, with regret they can jump ship...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2016, 01:06:57 am »

Escape key is a minor thing... I'm a developer, the 16 GB limit it is what it really worries me.

Right with you on that one.

landscapephoto

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2016, 02:24:42 am »

So, you're saying you think you will need an adapter for an adapter to connect your Firewire device? If so, I feel for you...this should not be necessary.

Frankly, it is not that much of a problem if it works. The adapters are simple short pieces of cable.

And firewire support is not much better in the windows world. I am not aware of a recent windows notebook with firewire support either. The only solution I know is using an expresscard and these are becoming less and less common.

rdonson

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2016, 09:21:37 am »

A quote from Apple's Phil Schiller

“To put more than 16GB of fast RAM into a notebook design at this time would require a memory system that consumes much more power and wouldn’t be efficient enough for a notebook.”

Note: "FAST RAM" suggests they were unwilling to compromise at this time on slower RAM

Lots of speculation out there that this will be remedied in 2017 with new components but if you have to buy a MacBook Pro now and you require more than 16 GB RAM you're SOL
Regards,
Ron

SZRitter

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2016, 09:48:58 am »

I'm a developer also, and never have used the escape key. I think it depends on your IDE/Environment.

NancyP

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »

Re: FireWire: I have the same issues. I don't mind buying a new set of drives, but I have to get the stuff transferred from the legacy drives. See lloyd chambers blog https://macperformanceguide.com/ for a post about FW (yep, I am the culprit asking him that question).

landscapephoto

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2016, 02:05:22 am »

Re: FireWire: I have the same issues. I don't mind buying a new set of drives, but I have to get the stuff transferred from the legacy drives. See lloyd chambers blog https://macperformanceguide.com/ for a post about FW (yep, I am the culprit asking him that question).

Why not buy the new set of USB drives now and copy the old drives to the new drives with your present computer?

I don't need firewire for drives, BTW, but for a camera. New MF cameras were sold with firewire for tethering as late as 2015.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up