Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple laptops  (Read 47171 times)

cbserota

Apple laptops
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:25:08 am »

Need to buy an Apple laptop.  Not sure if this is a good time to buy--would anyone know if there are updated laptops due to be released.
                Thanks for any help-----Charley

rdonson

Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:25:20 pm »

Since Apple doesn't publish anything until they're nearly ready to deliver products here's the best rumors I can offer.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/31/what-to-expect-from-apple-in-2016/
Regards,
Ron

cbserota

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:33:44 pm »

Ron--Thanks for the info---Charley

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:05 pm »

You're welcome, Charley
Regards,
Ron

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:13 am »

This part of the macrumors site isn't unhelpful either.

Jeremy

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:07:19 am »

Yep, we should see a refresh of Apple's lineup in the coming months with the move to the latest Skylake Intel processors and Thunderbolt 3.
Regards,
Ron

mkihne

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »

Yep, we should see a refresh of Apple's lineup in the coming months with the move to the latest Skylake Intel processors and Thunderbolt 3.

Rather than new post, just reviving this one. Any new opinion on whether or not new MacBook Pro this year. I know there have been one or more OS "hints". I'm hearing maybe this fall yet. Anyone else have 2 cents?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »

What does it matter what happens in the future? If you need a new MBP now then you buy one. I understand the new OS will run on my 2010 model which runs every application and camera I use.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

N80

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:28:42 pm »

What does it matter what happens in the future?

Better machine for the same money a week after you buy. No need to obsess, but it doesn't hurt to pay attention to the upgrade cycle.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:09:37 pm »

This wait, for me, is the gamble as to which event occurs first: 1. mid-2010 laptop screen or other element gives out 2. Skylake 15" MBP becomes available in "souped-up" version. I have been putting up with a vertical lines screen defect for about 2 years now, livable mostly because it is at the far left and affects only the directory panel most times (LR user).  ???

N80

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »

My first MacBook (the white one) lasted only four years and just up and died. My current MacBook Pro, late 2008, is working just fine other than getting much hotter than it used to.

I spent years culling and editing photos on this MacBook Pro. It is not a Retina Display. When I recently purchased a 5k iMac I could not believe how much better the display is over the laptop. My bad photos look worse on the iMac but my good and marginal photos look way better.

So as this MacBook ages out I am not sure what I will replace it with. Other than web browsing, word processing, email and now very limited photo work I don't use it for much else. With that being the case I may just get an iPad Pro, which, if I don't need to do serious photo editing and DAM, should do everything else I need it to do in a much more portable and versatile package.

However, I will need to re-eval the latest MacBooks with Retina displays. They are likely far superior to my old on in terms of image quality and that might convince me to stick with a MacBook, which could run Capture One, Nik stuff and PS if I needed it to.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 12:04:19 pm »

The Retina displays are indeed impressive, but they are annoyingly shiny. That's one thing I like about my mid-2010 non-Retina MBP - I got a "non-glare" version which is more pleasing to my eye.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 01:06:22 pm »

I love my retina MBP, no more glare than my iPad or iPhone though.   

I just bought some black foam core and with the help of a hot glue gun built my own hood for it. No more glare. An inexpensive fix.
Regards,
Ron

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 12:41:51 pm »

Yes, I suspect that I will be doing the same.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 06:15:13 pm »

I'm due for a new laptop at work, and our tech guy is insisting that we wait for the expected new models of Macbook Pro. I'll trust his judgement. :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »

Mac Rumors indicates that new MBP will appear late October or later.

NancyP

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 03:43:29 pm »

October 27th : announcement of a number of new Apple products. New Retina MBPs are expected to be part of the list.  :)  My current mid-2010 non-retina MBP hasn't developed any more screen defects or other problems...

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 07:36:49 pm »

October 27 is here, and so are the new Retina MacBook Pros.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:06 pm »

I must be missing something.

My current 4.5 year old MacBook Pro has the same processor but a _tiny_ bit slower clock speed (i7 2.6gHx vs the 'new' i7 2.7 gHz). It has the same 16 GB RAM but does have an arguably slower video card.

I have an SD card slot, 2 TB ports, 2 USB-3 slots, an HDMi output and it is a bit fatter and heavier. Why on earth would I want to upgrade at several thousand $$?

Farmer

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 08:23:27 pm »

You're not really a Mac user at heart, are you, Chris? ;-)

To be fair, the reduction in weight and size won't have come cheap and the newer processor is more power efficient and more powerful, regardless of clock speed.  The new GPU is better.  For higher end models you get the touchbar, which looks doubtful to be highly useful but will probably be OK and may lead to more useful such concepts.  The lack of SD is going to be annoying to Photographers (who also almost certainly use keyboard shortcuts for Ps that are much faster than the touchbar, but not as pretty :-) ), but with TB giving a USB-C style connection, you do have USB available, just less ports.

It is a hard sell, though, if you already have a good machine and you're not in the need of always having the latest.  Even more so with the latest Surface Book that was announced.

What I do expect is that the next generation, or perhaps a mid-life update, that improves on the concept of the touchbar, could be very interesting and I applaud Apple for at least thinking about new concepts like this even if this one doesn't really seem to hit the mark.

As for the price - it's an Apple - you pay a premium (as you do for the Surface Book) because both Apple and MS are the biggest fish in the sea and they are offering things that no one else is (whether any given individual particularly likes them or not).  Given Apple's primary revenue stream long ago moved to iPods and iPads, if they can't make a decent margin on their Macbooks, they probably can't justify continuing with them.

So I don't think you're really missing anything :-)
Phil Brown
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up