Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lijiang Old City, China  (Read 650 times)

shadowblade

Lijiang Old City, China
« on: January 17, 2016, 11:24:12 am »

Twilight in Lijiang, a mediaeval city in Yunnan, China. Intersected by numerous canals, this is one of the main thoroughfares.

Third draft of this very challenging (for multiple reasons) shot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:52:06 am by shadowblade »

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
Re: Lijiang Old City, China
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:29:38 am »

Love the colors, and the balance of twilight and artificial light is great!

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:30:27 pm »

Not sure if I got the contrast/saturation/brightness just right yet. Always very difficult, since none of my wide-gamut monitors seem to reflect what other people see on their screens.

I think the streets/city lights might be a bit washed-out and need greater saturation in the yellows, while leaving the sky alone.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:46:31 pm by shadowblade »

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 01:20:52 am »

Not sure if I got the contrast/saturation/brightness just right yet. Always very difficult, since none of my wide-gamut monitors seem to reflect what other people see on their screens.

I think the streets/city lights might be a bit washed-out and need greater saturation in the yellows, while leaving the sky alone.
If you are going to print it then if you can get that right then you have succeeded.

It is a really nice shot and I do understand the issues of shooting cityscapes after dusk and also the subsequent post-processing so both shadows and highlights are believable. I think you have done a good job but for me, as mentioned above, the print is the gold-standard.

Tony Jay

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 02:53:46 am »

If you are going to print it then if you can get that right then you have succeeded.

It is a really nice shot and I do understand the issues of shooting cityscapes after dusk and also the subsequent post-processing so both shadows and highlights are believable. I think you have done a good job but for me, as mentioned above, the print is the gold-standard.

Tony Jay

Getting it right in print is rarely the issue, since you have total control over the input and output. What's hard is getting it to look right on screen, since you have no control over the output device.

In this particular case, do the yellows look right to you, or do they seem a bit washed out? I'm not sure - seems to be a very fine line between undersaturation and oversaturation.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:51:36 am »

Looks good to me, great shot.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:39:26 am »

I really like it. Very engaging. The colors look good on my freshly calibrated monitor.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up