Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P-800 partial prints (Somewhat solved, Lightroom still troublesome)  (Read 5223 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson P-800 partial prints
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 11:14:41 pm »

You need to turn off the paper size detector (Paper Setup Display) in the printer's menu so that the driver only is dictating paper size and image placement.

Touch the little wrench in the lower right of the touch screen on the printer, then choose "System Administration," then "Printer Settings," then "Paper Source Settings," then "Paper Setup Display," then "OFF."

Problem solved.  Drove me stark raving nuts at first.  If you don't do this, then you'll have to manually select each and every paper size/type from the front panel when printing.  Since my printer doesn't sit right next to my monitor, I was always forgetting to do this.  Turn off the Paper Settings Display and the printer driver and layout in your software will put the right size image on the paper you tell it you are using.

Rand
are you putting a different size of paper into the printer than you are entering in the Epson driver on the computer?  This should be the only time you need to disable paper size detector.  I've been printing  on Epson printers for 10 years and worked with many who are using Epson printers, and I've never had to disable the paper size detector unless I am trying to use a paper that is smaller than the smallest size supported by the printer (such as 7x10 cards). As long as the paper you are putting in the printer matches the size of paper you enter in the driver, it will work (that's what paper size detect does, it makes sure the paper size you enter in the printer matches the paper size you have entered in the driver).

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:59 pm »

So where does the HP settings come from? Well once upon a time I did have a HP B9180 printer but that's years ago and I the iMac is a fresh install from after that. I
certainly puzzling.  Not sure why there's HP stuff.  Regarding the fresh install, did you use the migration utility after wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS, or did you manually move everything to the clean startup drive?

I don't have a p800 but I think we're setting one up next week for a customer.  What puzzles me is the dimmed out suggested paper size A3+ in the one dialog box.  If I get a chance I'll check it out when we setup this printer.

Ulf

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 02:57:57 am »

I moved my account using the migration tool, which is probably the source of my troubles. I just created a new user account and from there Lightroom prints just fine (from what I can see in the spool files). So if all else fails I suppose I would just create a new account and move stuff over. I'll have another crack at solving it first though.. it just can't be necessary to create a new account... it can't!

I did check /Library/Caches but nothing there..

Re the dimmed out paper option it becomes enabled when you click the checkbox.

Ulf

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:34 am »

Alright some progress has been made.. It seems I can now print properly from Photoshop. On my tour of things to try I pressed the spacebar when clicking file -> print in Photoshop to reset the print settings. And lo and behold it worked!

Unfortunately Lightroom still exhibits the problem and resetting or deleting all settings did not change anything :(

na goodman

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 10:02:56 am »

Well, I think you can tell it is now system related to that machine. If you can print from your laptop, you can print from a new account then it is something that was brought over in the migration. That's making progress.

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 11:05:21 am »

are you putting a different size of paper into the printer than you are entering in the Epson driver on the computer?  This should be the only time you need to disable paper size detector.  I've been printing  on Epson printers for 10 years and worked with many who are using Epson printers, and I've never had to disable the paper size detector unless I am trying to use a paper that is smaller than the smallest size supported by the printer (such as 7x10 cards). As long as the paper you are putting in the printer matches the size of paper you enter in the driver, it will work (that's what paper size detect does, it makes sure the paper size you enter in the printer matches the paper size you have entered in the driver).

Hi Wayne,

My P800 is different from all the Epson printers I've owned (1280, 2200, 4880, 3000).  The paper size display is sticky, and not only has size, but "kind" in the display.  What's worse is that the printer driver (Windows) didn't override what was on the display.  Ergo, if the display panel showed "Letter size" and say, "Premium Semigloss" and I put 13x19 paper in the printer driver (and in the printer) I could lay it out any way I wanted in the LR print module and it would still mash it down to letter size and put it in an odd place on the paper.   After turning off the "Paper Setup Display," the printer now acts like and works like all the other Epson printers I've owned and used.  It also worked fine if I remembered to scroll through all the paper sizes and types on the printer touch panel, but as I said, the printer isn't right next to my workstation and it was a pain in the butt to try to remember to change the touch panel when I change paper size (since I never had to do that before "on the printer" as opposed to "in the driver settings").

Rand
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:16:46 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Nora_nor

Re: Epson P-800 partial prints (Somewhat solved, Lightroom still troublesome)
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 03:59:51 pm »

Interesting.
I still wonder if it  would be useful to collect all the P800 info in one place and call it P800 Wiki.

--I found out that when downloading the correct driver, still the Airprint driver installs. Both install but the Airprint driver is the one that automatically pops up. I suggest just renaming it so it is obvious which one is in use. <(mac )
Maybe someone can beg Epson to re-name it in the next update, so that thousands of people do not think they downloaded the wrong one?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:03:44 pm by Nora_nor »

rdonson

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 05:16:24 pm »

A P800 wiki is a great idea.  The issue is effort and cost.  Who is going to do the work organizing and maintaining the wiki.  Then there's the issue of paying for a decent wiki.  Everyone is all for free stuff but few want to pony up $upport. 

Example:  http://www.wikispaces.com/content/wiki

Regards,
Ron

Ulf

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 04:55:10 pm »

So I persevered and finally was able to solve it for good (I think). So here's the tip for anyone else finding themselves in a similar situation..

I opened the catalog file *.lrcat with sqlite3 and deleted the following:

delete from AgFolderContent where owningModule = 'com.adobe.ag.print';
delete from AgSpecialSourceContent where owningModule = 'com.adobe.ag.print';
delete from AgLibraryCollectionContent where owningModule = 'com.adobe.ag.print';

Not sure if all are needed but it did the trick. If you want to try it out prob. take a backup first.

Thanks for all the help guys..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:15:55 am by Ulf »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up