Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Kenko teleconverter or extension tube for Macro?

(1/3) > >>

Stuart Rickmann:
Hi, I'm not able to make up my mind regarding shooting Macros, using a 50mm and 135mm lens (Nikon D800).

I bought a cheap extension tube and it comes apart every time I turn the focus ring. It seems like the lens is just going to fall off, and I've had it with it.

When should you choose a teleconverter over extension tubes for Macro? Short of a macro lens, which is the most robust solution? Is Kenko a good brand for either?

brianrybolt:
Buy a decent extension tube (Nikon).  You can probably find them used on eBay and elsewhere.  I would stay away from Kenco.

Good luck,
Brian

Isaac:
If you don't need much working distance, an achromatic diopter is another possibility.

Stuart Rickmann:
Thanks guys! I'll look into it.

Mike H:
For teleconverters the Kenko ones are pretty good value for money. I use Canon gear and while the Kenko tc is pretty good while I admit that the Canon does beat it the difference in quality may not be worth nearly three times the cost - a very personal choice. I have never had a problem with the fitting of my Kenko tc.

The extension tubes are, IMO, a better option because they have no additional glass in the lightpath and you can vary the magnification by the number of extension tubes you add. Extension tubes do end up shortening the focal distance and with something like the 50mm lens the distance between the front element of the lens and the subject can be literally millimetres. The teleconverter does not affect the focal distance.

The achromatic lens that Isaac refers to (also called a close-up filter) screws into the filter thread of your lens and can cost more than a set of high-quality extension tubes. But the advantage they do have is that it is easier to fit in the field, and you do not lose light (it does not affect the exposure time) like happens with extension tubes. The cheapest close-up filters cost as little as $5 and as they get more expensive the main difference is the better
image quality as you move away from the centre of the image.

TC over extension tubes? I have never really thought about it because my automatic reaction is to reach for the extension tubes, but it is really about magnification - if you look at the specifications of your lens the tc will give you 1.4x or 2x that depending on your t/c and while that is fine for close-ups of butterflies or small animals it may not be enough for small insects and that is where the extension tubes take over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version