Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Fujifilm testing the big Sony Sensor?  (Read 9684 times)

Miyata610

Is Fujifilm testing the big Sony Sensor?
« on: January 15, 2016, 04:59:29 am »

http://www.bjp-online.com/2016/01/fuji-x-pro2-interview-takashi-ueno/

Fuji X-series senior product manager Takashi Ueno talks to Damien Demolder........

Ueno is a medium format fan, and is actually a Hasselblad Master himself, so he has a personal interest in Fuji starting up a new line of medium format bodies. “We are in a very good position to make a medium format camera, as we make camera bodies, sensors and lenses. We already make the lenses for Hasselblad, so we have that expertise. At the moment Fuji is not planning to launch a medium format camera, but we are conducting research and testing sensors in this area. We have a good history in the medium format market, and I think we would be successful again. We have the technology to make a very modern and high quality camera, but right now we are only investigating.” Ueno agreed that now would be a very good time for Fuji to enter the market, but it seems that not everyone in the company is quite as convinced.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Is Fujifilm testing the big Sony Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:06:27 am »

Would definitely be interesting to see a mirrorless MF with X-trans.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:42 am »

MF version of the Xpro with the hybrid viewfinder, its own lenses, but also able to take H glass with an adapter would be perfect.

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35:18 am »

.................................."Is Fujifilm testing the big Sony Sensor?"..............................   

No they are not! ......Fuji will never use a third party sensor no matter what their future plans are! If they will ever decide to enter the MF market, either with mirrorless or with other (usually revolutionary approach - one can expect the most genius design out of Fuji - it's traditional with them), it will be with their own sensor.

jwstl

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:39:14 am »

http://www.bjp-online.com/2016/01/fuji-x-pro2-interview-takashi-ueno/

Fuji X-series senior product manager Takashi Ueno talks to Damien Demolder........

"we make camera bodies, sensors and lenses"  "we are conducting research and testing sensors"

It seems obvious he meant Fuji made sensors.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:46:36 am »

Long Long shot if they did it in X-trans.  The MF digital Market is pretty small to start with.  They so far have not even produced an full frame 35mm chip.  35mm vs 645, I believe they would have a larger market for sure in 35mm, but all their current excellent optics would need upgrades as all are designed for APS-C

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BJL

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:32 am »

.................................."Is Fujifilm testing the big Sony Sensor?"..............................   

No they are not! ......Fuji will never use a third party sensor no matter what their future plans are!

Fujifilm currently uses Sony sensors as the base for its X-Trans sensors. It designs its own special X-Trans color filter arrays, which are put on top of Sony "silicon".

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:07 am »

Fuji will never use a third party sensor
Fuji is often using old Sony sensors, for example Fujifilm X100 = has Sony IMX038CQQ (IMX038 series were originally used in cameras like Nikon D90 so many years ago)... so is 16mp "X-Trans", only CFA are from Fuji.

http://www.jamesmaherphotography.com/images/0000/3843/fuji_x100_take_apart-13.jpg

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 12:02:22 pm »

It seems obvious he meant Fuji made sensors.

+1... I don't know where this "Sony sensor" & "mirrorless" speculation is oriented from... Fuji's "know how" is second to none... they where making MFDB at 52mm (the 41mp DX-2000) of width (for the GX-680) back on 2003 when the largest available in the market was of 36mm... Their lenses are  considered Hollywood's standard (just look at the end titles of a major film) and they have the largest experience and research out of all makers in image areas... It's Fuji we are talking about, the makers of the GX-617, 619 & 680... not ...Sony! ...who is Sony to "help" ...Fuji? ...is this a joke?  :o

EDIT: Fuji X-100 is a consumer product (so it's a matter of cost) and even there they don't let the Sensor as is... They don't use Sony sensor because they can't make one one of their own... they are only trying to be price competitive... isn't that obvious?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:28:15 pm by Theodoros »

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »

EDIT: Fuji X-100 is a consumer product

MF backs are consumer products too just like MB S600 is

"isn't that obvious?" (c)

mi-fu

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 12:37:46 pm »

I think Fuji uses Sony sensors (with modifications)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:35:09 pm »

Fujifilm currently uses Sony sensors as the base for its X-Trans sensors. It designs its own special X-Trans color filter arrays, which are put on top of Sony "silicon".

This is interesting as I had always thought that the x-trans had a different layout of pixels than the standard Bayer pattern.

If all it is instead is a color filter array over a Bayer pattern then I guess it would be quite possible.

I forgot they already have the glass out there as don't they make some of the Hasselblad glass? 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BJL

+1... I don't know where this "Sony sensor" & "mirrorless" speculation is oriented from... Fuji's "know how" is second to none not . . . who is Sony to "help" ...Fuji? ...is this a joke?  :o
The talk is specifically about the CMOS integrated circuit devices at the heart of active pixel CMOS sensors.  Fujifilm produced some interesting and innovative CCD sensors, but as far as I know, it has never designed or make any CMOS sensors, beyond the CFAs to go in front of the CMOS device itself.

If I am wrong please point to any sources about Fujifilm designing its own CMOS sensor IC devices.

(For a hint about the Sony, connection, look as the pixel counts and sizes of its 16MP and now 24MP X-trans sensors.)

Theodoros

The talk is specifically about the CMOS integrated circuit devices at the heart of active pixel CMOS sensors.  Fujifilm produced some interesting and innovative CCD sensors, but as far as I know, it has never designed or make any CMOS sensors, beyond the CFAs to go in front of the CMOS device itself.

If I am wrong please point to any sources about Fujifilm designing its own CMOS sensor IC devices.

(For a hint about the Sony, connection, look as the pixel counts and sizes of its 16MP and now 24MP X-trans sensors.)

As I said before, X-trans sensors are used in low cost cameras (and then modified to suit Fuji's idea of imaging) so that the products can be price competitive... It means absolutely nothing when it comes to compete in Hi end imaging like MF is... After all, MR. Takashi was clear in his statement... "we are conducting research and testing sensors in this area" ...why the argument about Sony then?

AlterEgo

It means absolutely nothing when it comes to compete in Hi end imaging like MF is... After all, MR. Takashi was clear in his statement... "we are conducting research and testing sensors in this area" ...why the argument about Sony then?

yes research and testing of Sony sensors with Fuji toppings ;D ... and hi end imaging that can be purchased online in B&H with next day delivery is still consumer level gear whether or not you call it "Hi end imaging like MF"...

and after all Sony delivered 2 sensors already, Fuji = 0...

Theodoros

yes research and testing of Sony sensors with Fuji toppings ;D ... and hi end imaging that can be purchased online in B&H with next day delivery is still consumer level gear whether or not you call it "Hi end imaging like MF"...

and after all Sony delivered 2 sensors already, Fuji = 0...

Good logic, good logic... According to the same logic, Fuji has made about 10 MF cameras up to now and Sony none... Then the score is what? ...10-2? ...and if we count the hundreds of MF (& LF) lenses that Fuji has ever made what is the score then? ....286 - 2? ...or may be 400-2... Keep up with the same logic, I'm sure adults will share it at sometime in the future...

AlterEgo

Good logic, good logic... According to the same logic, Fuji has made about 10 MF cameras up to now and Sony none

we are talking about sensors... 

Miyata610

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 03:43:31 pm »

i'm surprised so many people didn't know that Sony made the sensors for fuji.

yeah, x-trans has a different colour filter array...so?

i would be surprised if fuji didn't continue with sony sensors for their MF bodies in future.

Theodoros

we are talking about sensors...

So was Mr. Takashi: " “We are in a very good position to make a medium format camera, as we make camera bodies, sensors and lenses. We already make the lenses for Hasselblad, so we have that expertise. At the moment Fuji is not planning to launch a medium format camera, but we are conducting research and testing sensors in this area. We have a good history in the medium format market, and I think we would be successful again. We have the technology to make a very modern and high quality camera, but right now we are only investigating.” Ueno agreed that now would be a very good time for Fuji to enter the market, but it seems that not everyone in the company is quite as convinced."

...can't you read?

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 11:16:27 am »

Their lenses are  considered Hollywood's standard (just look at the end titles of a major film)

This is not true, of course. It's Panavision, Leica, Zeiss, Cooke mostly, and than come Canon and Fuji.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up