Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highway 50 overlook  (Read 3322 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Highway 50 overlook
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:21:33 pm »

The "loneliest highway" comes through town and heads West to some of the lonelier sections in Western Colorado. That is the frozen Gunnison River as it starts to flow into Blue Mesa Reservoir and eventually finds its way to the Colorado River.
I hiked about a mile to this spot using snowshoes last night and just got a few photos before the cold sent me shivering back to the car.
IMGP1262-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:43:38 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

sdwilsonsct

Re: Highway 50 overlook
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »

Edgy!  :D
Good catch on the car.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:04:58 am »

It does look cold:) The car light gives the necessary extra warm light. I don't think the juxtaposition of the boulder and the naked tree works well; would it be possible to avoid the boulder and just get the tree in the foreground?

stamper

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:26:26 am »

I very much like the composition but not sure about the intense blue on the snow. Even if it was this blue when you captured the image I would be tempted to reduce it a little? Overall a very nice image.

marcgoldring

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:24:14 am »

I love the color on the rock and would hate to lose that. The naked tree distracts a bit, true but maybe there's a way to play with that to accentuate the difference in texture between the two... It does look cold!

Marco
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

francois

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:24:14 am »

That looks cold, very cold! I like the clear sky along with the frozen river and reservoir. The road and the headlights give a human presence. As noted, the tree and boulder are a bit messy but it adds some depth to the scene.
Well done and next time, ask Paulo to help you push the boulder out of the way  ;D
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:49:38 am »

+1 (We still doing "+1"? lol) I agree with many of the previous comments, especially the strength of the headlight (wonderful!) and the green on the rock. I rather like the blue, but I guess reducing it a tad could work.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 11:07:15 am »

Thank you all! Maybe I'll be able to move the boulder after my shoulder heals! ;)

I liked the green lichen and included it for that. I could certainly compose without it and it was the dead tree that first caught my attention but it was impossible to get the road and tree without the boulder from here. At least for the few minutes I tried.
There are lots of compositional options around here including getting on that next ridge at the right side of the frame to look down the canyon toward the lake. I may try that and/or some other angles this weekend if the weather looks promising.
As for the blue, it was pretty blue and that is how it looked to me but I could try dialing it back a little too.

I appreciate the input!
-MattB

Jens Peermann

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 08:28:16 am »

I am a little puzzled. The title and your caption talk about Highway 50 and the Gunnison River, but the prominent object is the bolder in the foreground. It's seems that your intention was to make a picture of the highway running along the frozen river. But when you got to this vista point you attention shifted to the green lichens on the rock. I understand that it is supposed to serve as an anchor point, which is great; but you allowed it to hijack the scene.

I also think the blue needs to be reigned in. Snow is not blue. ;)

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 04:11:14 pm »

The rock definitely stole my attention. I was on the lookout for foreground interest and first saw the tree behind it but that alignment didn't work very well so I went for the rock instead.
I guess my title is more about the spot than the photo. And snow is sometimes very blue, especially during the blue hour! But I understand it may still be too much.

Thanks all for the input!
Here's another try at the edit with pretty subtle differences.

-MattB

sawwhetowl

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 11:24:38 pm »

Not many places, only a couple actually, like the Gunnison Country in the winter time.  Your photos have inspired me to make a -25F expedition this winter.  The thaw in Gunnison begins in March so I better get to snapping some pictures.  Will be some great pictures this weekend with the snow storm but the passes will be a little treacherous.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 01:40:14 pm »

Yeah, get some!

Are you here in the GUC? Do I know you?
-MattB

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:59:38 pm »

The rock definitely stole my attention. I was on the lookout for foreground interest and first saw the tree behind it but that alignment didn't work very well so I went for the rock instead.
I guess my title is more about the spot than the photo. And snow is sometimes very blue, especially during the blue hour! But I understand it may still be too much.

Thanks all for the input!
Here's another try at the edit with pretty subtle differences.

I like the composition, and I missed the original which has now disappeared.It's awfully blue, though.

Jeremy

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 03:44:40 pm »

I like the composition, and I missed the original which has now disappeared.It's awfully blue, though.

Jeremy

Thanks! It's very blue in real life too! But I guess it needs to be tamed more for a believable photo.
-MattB

sawwhetowl

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 12:27:20 am »

Yeah, get some!

Are you here in the GUC? Do I know you?

Just over the hill on the east side of Monarch- the place where people from Salida and Gunnison honk, wave or pray for safe passage.  A little bit warmer here.  Your name rings a bell - maybe pictures in the Gunny newspaper?

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 01:39:25 pm »

Just over the hill on the east side of Monarch- the place where people from Salida and Gunnison honk, wave or pray for safe passage.  A little bit warmer here.  Your name rings a bell - maybe pictures in the Gunny newspaper?

Yes, they use my photos semi-regularly and I have some other pieces around.
Ah, the yellow house. Just passed through yesterday. Didn't honk. :)
-MattB

sawwhetowl

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 11:32:16 pm »

Yes, they use my photos semi-regularly and I have some other pieces around.
Ah, the yellow house. Just passed through yesterday. Didn't honk. :)

Thanks for not honking :)  Just wave  ;D  i do not live at the yellow house just close enough to hear the honking.  Have never heard any prayers yet so prayers are fine as well ;D  Please tell all the Gunnies prayers and waves will get you over the pass but honking you just might not make it over.

Your picture - is that overlooking Beaver Creek as it enters Blue Mesa Reservoir?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:35:39 pm by sawwhetowl »

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 11:39:29 pm »

Thanks for not honking :)  Just wave  ;D  i do not live at the yellow house just close enough to hear the honking.  Have never heard any prayers yet so prayers are fine as well ;D  Please tell all the Gunnies prayers and waves will get you over the pass but honking you just might not make it over.

Your picture - is that overlooking Beaver Creek as it enters Blue Mesa Reservoir?

Ha, I say things like that anyway!

This is from Beaver creek looking one drainage West. Close!
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up