Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Will LuLa be reporting on the Fuji XPro2?  (Read 13821 times)

AFairley

Re: Will LuLa be reporting on the Fuji XPro2?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 01:05:05 pm »

I'm waiting for in-depth reviews and analysis as well.  Not so much because I plan on purchasing an X-Pro2 but because I believe the sensor, processor, menus and such will show up in the update for the X-T1 (X-T2?) which I'm keenly interested in.

Likewise for the X-E3, which I am hoping will arrive eventually, since the X-E2s makes it look like Fuji has not completely abandoned that form factor for the T series.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 05:15:21 pm »

I'm waiting for in-depth reviews and analysis as well.  Not so much because I plan on purchasing an X-Pro2 but because I believe the sensor, processor, menus and such will show up in the update for the X-T1 (X-T2?) which I'm keenly interested in.

Same here. If I didn't already have the X-E1 I would much more tempted; battery life seems pretty bad even with the OVF (350 shots).

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 05:31:23 pm »

Having Canon DSLRs I was a bit disappointed at first with my X-T1 getting ~350 frames with a battery.  Then I had a friend get a Sony a7R and another get a Sony a7R2 and now I'm quite happy.   ;D  I just carry a few Fuji batteries with me and change them when needed.  Battery tech is what it is at this time and I'd rather Fuji didn't add size and weight to the X-T1 just to save me a battery swap.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 11:02:14 pm »

I have about 6 batteries so I rarely run out unless I forget to get a charged one with me.

Dan Wells

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 02:04:13 pm »

As a longtime and committed Fuji shooter (moving quickly towards all Fuji, because of the glorious lenses and body ergonomics - nothing feels like a Fuji in hand, and no other make has a full range of lenses like those - there are individual lenses as good, but Fuji has a stack of them...), I've been following the X-Pro 2 with great interest. Here's what I've been able to compile (my order is in, with a big deposit on it, so I like what I found)...

The sensor:

1.) 24 MP Sony-made APS-C with X-Trans. In my experience, the previous generation of X-Trans shows relatively clear resolution benefits over Bayer sensors (especially those with anti-aliasing filters) I've never seen a 16 MP APS-C non X-Trans sensor with no AA filter, so my comparisons are limited to smaller (Micro 4/3) sensors with no filter and same-size sensors WITH AA filters, both of which X-Trans beats hands down.
2.) It's a new generation of the Sony sensor - the Fuji Guys let slip that it is built on a copper (not aluminum) process. The Sony 24 MP sensor that is all over the place uses aluminum wiring.
3.) Extraordinarily low read noise and high dynamic range (multiple reviews) - Fuji presentation showing a very high signal to noise ratio.
4.) Performs like a really good 24 MP full-frame sensor with no AA filter, according to a bunch of reviews.
5.) May be pushing the limits of its 14-bit A/D converter - at least a couple of mentions of dynamic range right at 14 stops.

The processor:
1.) 4x as fast as the X-T1 processor
2.) Capable of handling 480 megapixels/second
3.) Capable of 4k video (easily) - Fuji sources say "that's for another camera (hint, hint)".
4.) From what I can gather, it's at least a D4s/1Dx class processor, if not D5 class (WHY, in an image quality focused rangefinder)? - BUT it leaves plenty of room for whatever they want to do with the camera, or with future models).
5.) Lossless raw compression

The body:
1.) Much like the X-Pro 1, but weathersealed and with an improved grip
2.)New AF point selection joystick
3.) "New" pull up and turn ISO dial inside the shutter speed dial (if you think this one is new, your first camera had a CMOS sensor and you don't know what Dektol does), although I've never seen one with "12800" marked on it before.
4.) Improved button ergonomics
5.) Dual SD slots (although, weirdly, they're assymmetric - only ONE is UHS-II).

Others:
1.) "Brand-new" 1/8000 second shutter. Is this really new, or an off the shelf part that Fuji's never used before? If it's really new, it may be unusually well damped - opposite of the situation with the original A7r...
2.)Tripod mount perfectly centered
3.) Fuji's making an Arca-Swiss plate/grip that leaves the battery compartment accessible. I'm sure RRS and others will, too.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 12:22:06 am »

Looks like the XT-2 may come with a learning curve.
Apparently:
The X-Pro 2 has a C setting on the exposure compensation dial which assigns exposure compensation to the front command dial and expands the adjustment to +/- 5EV in 1/3 steps.
Expanded iso settings can be written to raw files. Haven't got my head around whether this includes the DR settings.
Raw files at all iso settings.
Sensor pixel based hyperfocal distance can be set, including on manual focus. Plus film format based scale.
With the fastest cards, continuous shooting of jpeg+raw at 3 fps until the cards fill up.
Faster readout on the sensor, and a processor not used yet at its maximum give a lot of room to play with autofocus updates.
The IOS has a sampling frequency of 8,000 Hz so leave the stabilisation on up to 1/4,000 second.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 02:58:43 am »

Yeah, I'm more interested in the X-T1 replacement as well, though it's good to see such a broad range of improvements to the Xpro1. I'm not a huge fan of range-finders, though all my experience with them is on Polaroid 600SE's so maybe that's not fair.. lol

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 10:08:57 am »

I will rent an XPro-2, I still have my XP1, but what I am really looking and waiting for is the XT-2....... with the same sensor as the new camera.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Valdo

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 03:07:19 am »

Thanks for that link on youtube, Ron.  The camera does offer an abundance of features!  I bought one shortly before traveling to Italy for Christmas.  Since I already shoot with an X-T1 and X-Pro1, I was prepared for the menu system and fine IQ.  Great camera!  Used it all day in Naples and didn't miss wider or longer lenses.

Sadly, I somehow have the viewfinder "stuck" in EVF mode.  No matter what I do, I can't seem to switch to the OVF.  Strange.  I'll have to visit my photo dealer and ask for help.

Ha, the Japanese engineers are afflicted by the notion that a product should have a lot of features otherwise it is inferior. Their managers double this.

Valdo

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 03:15:30 am »

.....I've never seen a 16 MP APS-C non X-Trans sensor with no AA filter, so my comparisons are limited to smaller (Micro 4/3) sensors with no filter and same-size sensors WITH AA filters, both of which X-Trans beats hands down.

Hi Dan,
what about Pentax K3 and K3 mkII 24 MP sensor? I think this camera is a direct competitor to X-Pro2 at real world prices.

rdonson

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 11:11:43 am »

Hi Dan,
what about Pentax K3 and K3 mkII 24 MP sensor? I think this camera is a direct competitor to X-Pro2 at real world prices.

Perhaps from an IQ perspective but it would pit a DSLR (Pentax) against a mirrorless ILC (Fuji).  That's 800g vs 495g.  Street photographers would likely prefer the smaller, lighter Fuji.   
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 02:32:12 pm »

Ha, the Japanese engineers are afflicted by the notion that a product should have a lot of features otherwise it is inferior. Their managers double this.
That does seem true.  One reason I enjoyed the Leica M models was their fairly basic (thus simple for me to understand) menu system.

BTW, I noticed I had set the focusing range of my X100T to "macro" which automatically limited the viewfinder to EVF.  Switching the "macro" mode off again allowed switching to OVF.  I also had problems when I inadvertantly moved the shutter speed dial off of "A" (aperture priority).  It took me a few frustrating minutes in downtown Naples to figure that out.  It would have been nice to have the dial lock in the "A" setting.  Always room for improvement, though this I feel is very basic.

Dan Wells

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 08:41:12 pm »

Pentax has always intrigued me - there are several DSLRs that are 24 MP no AA, including those two Pentaxes. What I don't know of (and would be useful for figuring out how much of a resolution advantage X-Trans has over Bayer) is a 16 MP DSLR with no AA. Once X-Pro 2 resolution tests show up, X-Pro 2 vs. D7200 or K3II will be a relatively fair test.

If early reports of X-Pro 2 image quality are accurate, its major competitors are perhaps 24 MP full frame cameras, rather than other APS-C models. Of course, it's priced like a full-frame camera, so it needs to compete with them. I haven't seen a direct comparison to the K3II or D7200 anywhere, but I have seen favorable comparisons to the D750, which is a (small, but noticeable)step above the APS-C DSLRs.

Also in common with full-frame cameras, the X-Pro 2 has a dedicated lens line for its frame size. Both the Pentax, and especially Nikon APS-C offerings rely heavily on full-frame lenses, which are often odd focal lengths on APS-C, and generally larger and heavier than APS-C lenses.

The competitors are (in something like this order):
Sony A7II - also mirrorless, similar price, same resolution, slightly heavier, full-frame, worse lens selection.
Leica M240 - rangefinder, much more expensive, slightly heavier, same resolution, full-frame, different lens selection (many lenses going back 50 years, no zooms, macros or long lenses)
Nikon D750 - DSLR, similar price, significantly heavier, same resolution, full-frame, heavier lenses, but wider choice
Canon 5DmkIII - DSLR, somewhat more expensive, significantly heavier, lower resolution, full-frame, heavier lenses but wider choice
Nikon D7200 - DSLR, much less expensive, somewhat heavier, same resolution, APS-C, less dedicated lenses, but uses Nikon full-frame lenses
Pentax K3II - DSLR, much less expensive, somewhat heavier, same resolution, APS-C, less dedicated lenses, but uses Pentax full-frame lenses (mostly older)

I've left two obvious competitors (or so it would seem) off the list... Micro 43 was a deliberate omission - image quality isn't quite there even against X-Trans II, let alone X-Trans III. There are several great bodies, and a few terrific lenses mixed in, but the sensor is a significant minus.

While I believe the full-frame Sonys, and specifically the A7II, are probably Fuji's MOST important competitor, I've left the much cheaper APS-C Sonys off the list for a couple of reasons. APS-C Sony bodies tend to be nice sensors with as little money put into the rest of the body as possible. Even the current A6000 is more or less equivalent to an X-A1 or X-M1 with a high-resolution sensor, sitting well below even an X-E2 in body construction and features, let alone the top-end Fujis. I would expect a replacement for the A6000 to venture perhaps as high as X-E territory, although perhaps with an extremely high resolution sensor, and would be a little surprised to see a $1500 range "A7000" with a significantly improved body (both to avoid competing with the A7 series, and because they don't have the lenses for it).
   More importantly, it would take quite a few improvements to Sony's APS-C lens lineup to make it competitive (while Sony lists a significant number of APS-C lenses, they are mostly variants of the same few kit zooms, as well as a few low-end primes released in the early days of the NEX line). There is a modestly regarded 16-70 f4, a generally well-liked 10-18, and one or two decent primes. That's about it other than three separate variants of an OK (but not great) travel zoom, two cheap kit zooms and the aforementioned cheap primes.
If they were really serious about top-end APS-C, they'd need (at a minimum):
A replacement for the expensive and not great 16-70 f4 Zeiss - see this Review of the 16-70
A wide prime or two (other than the cheap pancake lenses)
Some telephoto without "f6.3" anywhere in its description, preferably longer than 200mm.
A macro lens longer than 30mm.

Even with these additions , they would  still have the Sony 50 f1.8 (or the better, but bulky 55 FE f1.8)up against Fuji's stellar 56 f1.2. The 24 Zeiss is a fair comparison to the Fuji 23, and the Sony 28 FE s disadvantaged against the Fuji 27 only because the latter is a pancake lens of similar quality. Including FE lenses, Sony has 3 35mm options, but the exceptional Distagon is bulky, and the other two are not up to the standards of the Fujinons.

My opinion is that this is unlikely, because Sony has decided to keep their APS-C system essentially for entry-level users. Curiously, they really have no upgrade path - you go from the $500 (with a kit lens on a good special) A6000 straight up to full frame and the $1800 A7II, which still needs a $1000+ lens.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:15:03 pm by Dan Wells »

AlterEgo

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 09:08:58 pm »

I've left two obvious competitors (or so it would seem) off the list... Micro 43 was a deliberate omission - image quality isn't quite there even against X-Trans II, let alone X-Trans III. There are several great bodies, and a few terrific lenses mixed in, but the sensor is a significant minus.

people who use Fuji tend to imagine that 2x2 = 5, but it is not and never was...  the difference in sensor size between the current 16mp Sony APS-C in Fuji and latest 20mp Sony in m43 is = http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Fujifilm%20X-T1,Panasonic%20DMC-GX8 and no issues with crippled x-trans layout.

Dan Wells

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:33 pm »

I know what I see in prints - Micro 43 (admittedly not that 20 MP sensor - various modern variations of the 16 MP sensor) will go approximately one print size smaller than X-Trans II (or a good 16 MP APS-C DSLR with a good lens) at the same quality to my eye (and has substantially less DR than Sony or Toshiba sensored APS-C cameras - it's certainly in the same range with Canon),and I'm not the only one who sees this. Every competitor I listed for the X-Pro 2 and its X-Trans III sensor has equal or greater sensor size and equal resolution, not half the sensor area and slightly less resolution. Fuji aimed really high with the image quality on the X-Pro 2, and they seem from early reviews to have achieved their goals.

"Crippled X-Trans layout?" Properly processed, which, unfortunately, Adobe still hasn't gotten quite right (Capture One is quite a bit better), X-Trans is a modest but significant improvement over Bayer, given otherwise equal sensors. You're right in the case of video - X-Trans DOES seem to hurt VIDEO performance, although EOSHD says this is fixed in the X-Pro 2...

AlterEgo

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 10:37:40 pm »

I know what I see in prints

delusions induced by ownership of a system, that's it...  prev. generation of m43 sensors was 1.9xcrop and from 1.5x is it way less than 1.5x from FF  ;D ... APS-C sensor naturally gains from a bigger sensor size vs m43 sensor, but nothing earth shuttering

and has substantially less DR than Sony or Toshiba sensored APS-C cameras

we are talking about what is in Fuji, tested, vs in m43, tested...

let us translate the word "substantially" using prev. generation 16mp m43 sensor from Panasonic (as in E-M1) into numbers vs current 16mp Fuji = http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Fujifilm%20X-T1,Olympus%20OM-D%20E-M1 ... very substantial indeed  ;D ...

Every competitor I listed

you listed ? so ? does it add any more value to that ?

Fuji aimed really high with the image quality on the X-Pro 2, and they seem from early reviews to have achieved their goals.

we all know those reviews are worth, as they are not real tests, but rather personal (tainted by whatever) opinions (just like yours) and in real tests Fuji will show the usual Fuji performance - which is nothing exceptional... it is APS-C sensor vs m43 sensor, the gain (from a sensor size difference) is way less than between APS-C and FF.

"Crippled X-Trans layout?" Properly processed,

yes, as it happens behind the scenes - first blurring to compensate for X-Trans demosaicking artefacts and then sharpening to compensate that blur - it is the price you pay during raw conversion stage for Fuji's marketing attempts...

X-Trans is a modest but significant improvement over Bayer

there is zero improvement, only PITA... even Fuji itself significantly toned down the amount of BS in their own marketing materials  ;D

AFairley

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 12:05:48 pm »

I know what I see in prints - Micro 43 (admittedly not that 20 MP sensor - various modern variations of the 16 MP sensor) will go approximately one print size smaller than X-Trans II (or a good 16 MP APS-C DSLR with a good lens) at the same quality to my eye (and has substantially less DR than Sony or Toshiba sensored APS-C cameras - it's certainly in the same range with Canon),and I'm not the only one who sees this. Every competitor I listed for the X-Pro 2 and its X-Trans III sensor has equal or greater sensor size and equal resolution, not half the sensor area and slightly less resolution. Fuji aimed really high with the image quality on the X-Pro 2, and they seem from early reviews to have achieved their goals.

"Crippled X-Trans layout?" Properly processed, which, unfortunately, Adobe still hasn't gotten quite right (Capture One is quite a bit better), X-Trans is a modest but significant improvement over Bayer, given otherwise equal sensors. You're right in the case of video - X-Trans DOES seem to hurt VIDEO performance, although EOSHD says this is fixed in the X-Pro 2...

Also my experience re print sizes, having owned both E-M5 and X-E2.

Dan Wells

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »

Come on Fuji - get LuLa a sample of the X-Pro 2 - there are quite a few of them in the wild, and they seem to be pretty spectacular! For whatever dpreview's studio test sample is worth, it seems to be better on both the resolution and dynamic range tests than any other APS-C camera I can find (and no, micro 43 is not in the same class) and rapidly approaching 24 mp full frame territory. It's not a "magic camera" - pixel for pixel, it'll compete with anything, but the A7rII has a heck of a lot more pixels, each of them equally good.

I'm neither anti-Sony (I just said that Sony has the best overall image quality on the market, given the right lens), nor anti-micro 43 (The E-M1 is a beast of a rugged camera for very little weight). The new Pen-F seems a bit inexplicable to me, with a dial only for filter modes on a $1200 camera - cool feature for a $300 camera aimed at the Instagram set, but not what I'd want instant access to on a camera meant to be used in raw. Some of the Olympus bodies have great feature sets and unbelievable build quality,plus some wonderful lenses, but they're let down by their sensor.

The reason I personally chose Fuji is their balance between these things - they offer rugged bodies with a wonderful lens line, along with very, very good image quality. If they're not quite as rugged as an E-M1, they're rugged enough to take any treatment that won't break the glass in the lens anyway. If the image quality isn't quite up to the A7rII (it seems highly competitive with the a7II, but not the r model), it's good enough to print a gallery quality 24x36! Couple that with a lens line that beats anything else in mirrorless with ease, and with the best interface of any camera., and you really have a "goldilocks" design that is just right for a lot of photographers.

Compare the early reviews of the X-Pro 2 with those of the Pen-F - the Fuji reviewers have been gushing, while those reviewing the Olympus have been largely biting their tongues (why isn't it weathersealed, why that instagram dial, sensor not a great advance). Olympus has had some great hits of their own (E-M1, E-M5 and E-M5 II all got fantastic reviews). Maybe they'll come up with a new sensor and put another twist in the market!

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 07:47:22 pm »

The reason I personally chose Fuji is their balance between these things - they offer rugged bodies with a wonderful lens line, along with very, very good image quality. If they're not quite as rugged as an E-M1, they're rugged enough to take any treatment that won't break the glass in the lens anyway. If the image quality isn't quite up to the A7rII (it seems highly competitive with the a7II, but not the r model), it's good enough to print a gallery quality 24x36! Couple that with a lens line that beats anything else in mirrorless with ease, and with the best interface of any camera., and you really have a "goldilocks" design that is just right for a lot of photographers.

Same here. In the end I'll trust my eyes, and the quality from the XT-1 and Fuji glass is at the point where if a print is not good enough I have to blame myself and not the camera. I've shown 24 inch wide prints to photographers and no one has been able to say there hasn't been enough detail or the colour isn't correct.
Whatever camera system we go with we have to just make it work and find ways around its limitations. Nowadays the real limitation usually lies behind the viewfinder.

rdonson

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 08:13:54 am »

yes, as it happens behind the scenes - first blurring to compensate for X-Trans demosaicking artefacts and then sharpening to compensate that blur

Just curious.... if it happens behind the scenes how do you know it happens???
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up