Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pigment inks dry pretty quickly.  (Read 1299 times)

Doug Gray

Pigment inks dry pretty quickly.
« on: January 13, 2016, 03:24:31 pm »

I normally, on my Canon 9500 II, let color profile and verification patches dry a day. Thought I'd test them after 15 minutes first and compare them to the readings after a day on Costco Glossy and Baryta Natural.

Virtually no change on the Costco. If there was any effect it was less than .15 average, .3 max, dE2k but that is within the normal variation just taking multiple scans of the same patches.

OTOH, the Baryta showed a small, consistent, increase in the "L" values of about .4, The a and b values had no appreciable change. the overall dE2k was about .48. So there is some variation due to dryng on the Baryta paper that seems to be largely due to the L values. I wonder if there is some part of the grays that are dye and not pigment?

All in all, I was surprised at how little change occurred between 15 minutes and a day of drying before measurement. Anyone else noticed how quickly the print colors stabilize?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Pigment inks dry pretty quickly.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »

All in all, I was surprised at how little change occurred between 15 minutes and a day of drying before measurement. Anyone else noticed how quickly the print colors stabilize?
Epson inks show similar behavior.  When profiling my 3880 I did some "drying" tests at 1, 6, and 24 hours.  There was a very slight change over this period of time using Museo Silver Rag as the test paper.  Since time is not really an issue for profiling in my case, I just let them dry over night.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Pigment inks dry pretty quickly.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:37:53 pm »

Pigment particles are relatively large (the water based pigment ink is virtually a colloidal suspension) so they stay on media surface, and as a consequence ink bleed is low, and the color stabilizes almost instantly.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up