Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any improvements to the Epson P9000 printhead?  (Read 1637 times)

iCanvas

Any improvements to the Epson P9000 printhead?
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:46:55 am »

I have looked online but am not able to find anywhere as to what improvements Epson made to the new wide format printer's printheads to prevent clogging. Does anyone heard from Epson as to what new technology they put into it?

Gar

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Any improvements to the Epson P9000 printhead?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:20:34 am »

On Epson's website for these products they say: "Ink repellant surface coating for reduced nozzle clogging". That is the only information I could find. At the same time, it has to be said that much of what passes for "clogging" isn't. Those gaps in the nozzle checks can be often caused by ink droppages and air in the works rather than actual nozzle clogs. The corrective action has been the same with previous models: pushing ink through with cleaning cycles. My experience with Epson professional printers 2000P/4000/4800/3800/4900 over the past 15 years indicates that how a printer behaves over time in respect of clean or unclean nozzle checks whatever the cause is best known only after a period of some usage.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

cybis

• http://www.lucbusquin.com
Re: Any improvements to the Epson P9000 printhead?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:36:45 am »

I would guess the printhead is identical to the x900. The 'Ink repellant' claim is identical to the claim made for the x900. But I don't believe the constant missing nozzles on the x900 are caused by ink clogging. I think it is mostly an issue with air being sucked back in the printhead from recoiling ink. There is a very good chance the problem was fixed for the P9000 by regularly and automatically exercising the head (I'm not sure at what (ink) cost, though). I also wonder if the damper and ink cartridge design was change to reduce the possibility of ink flow-back.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:40:08 am by cybis »
Pages: [1]   Go Up