Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?  (Read 924 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:19:04 pm »

I have a Flashpoint Rovelight 600 monolight. I would like to take it to the beach for engagement photos and wedding photos.
The only problem is that it is a little bit top heavy. The battery is in the head unit itself.
I would like to use the light on a manfrotto light stand and a medium size softbox.

I am just wondering what size of sandbag do I need? What is your recommendation? We often shoot engagement sessions ans wedding portrait sessions on the beach. Wind is an issue.

Colorado David

Re: sandbag recommendation - how heavy do I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:02:31 pm »

I can't speak to your specific equipment and requirements, but I have used fairly heavy quartz hot lights under similar circumstances.  I've used lead shot in the sand bags instead of sand.  Lead shot has gotten a lot more expensive in recent years.  If I were buying shot for sand bags now, I might be tempted to buy barbell weights from the sporting goods store.  One problem I can see is that if you use lead shot or barbell weights, you have to carry the weight with you.  I suppose if you're going to the beach, you can just fill your sandbags there.  You might need to run some tests for your wind requirement.  A fully extended light stand with an instrument and a soft box has a lot of leverage over the stand base.  You'll need a lot of weight.

Jim Metzger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:06:07 pm »

I would consider using rope and stakes, similar to the way you would stake out a tent. A quick search for "tent stakes for sand" will give you lots of options.

This assumes the monolight is far enough away from the "talent" to avoid tripping hazards.

TomFrerichs

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:14:59 pm »

I, too, have one of those Rove lights. They are very inexpensive (which is nice when you only need it rarely), convenient (stringing power can be an interesting exercise at times, even indoors), and heavier than all get out.  When I stick that thing 9 feet up in the air with a good, "normal" light stand and with a small soft box I get nervous.   

I feel a lot more comfortable using a C-stand with about two 15 lbs (7.5 kg?) sandbags.  That seems secure enough for me, but then I rarely shoot with wind blowing my stuff around.

Tom Frerichs
Pages: [1]   Go Up