Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions For Phase One  (Read 5454 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Questions For Phase One
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »

Last call for questions regarding Phase One's new back or Capture One.  We will be doing some videos over the next few days with the Phase One guys and if you have questions send them to me by Personal Message and I'll get them on the list.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Questions For Phase One
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:55 am »

Last call for questions regarding Phase One's new back or Capture One.  We will be doing some videos over the next few days with the Phase One guys and if you have questions send them to me by Personal Message and I'll get them on the list.

I wonder whether the spectral sensitivity curves with cover glass will be published?
They can be established anyway by testing so it's not like they are a big secret.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

AlterEgo

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:40:35 am »

I wonder whether the spectral sensitivity curves with cover glass will be published?
They can be established anyway by testing so it's not like they are a big secret.

Edmund

P1 might not own that data fully for all of their backs... what if IR/UV was designed by P1, but CFA on sensor by Sony for example for IQ3 100 ? so while P1 "owns" one SSF, it does not "own" the second SSF - so to disclose a combo might ( ? ) be a problem... and also for any corporation it is easier not to disclose something /unless there is some law/ rather then disclose... less hassle.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:09:54 am »

Thanks for providing us with this opportunity Kevin.

I would like to know:
- when C1 Pro 9.03 will be released,
- to what extend we can expect its LCC related improvements to fix the various issues that have been reported these past days when using the sensor with the Rodenstock 32mm/40mm tech camera lenses,
- how P1 sees the crosstalk/color desaturation issues that have been discussed at length recently with shifted tech camera lenses.

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernard

Christoph B.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:25:17 am »

regarding CaptureOne:

In the HDR-Tool we have the Highlight and Shadow sliders which you can adjust vom 0 to 100. Wouldn't it be a good idea to enable these sliders to go in the negative direction (-100) as well in order to raise the highlights and darken the shadows? I missed that feature since I made the switch from Lightroom to CaptureOne and I don't know why it hasn't been implemented already.

Are there any plans to introduce focus stacking in C1?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 07:09:54 am »

Suggestion:

It would be nice to have a "Lite" version of C1P with only tethering and basic adjustments for those of us who want to do tethered capture in the field with Windows tablets and all major edits back home on a workstation. A touch friendly UI for the same would be welcome too.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:43 am »

It is a measurement. Nobody owns measurements in the sense that you can always do your own and publish that.

Edmund

P1 might not own that data fully for all of their backs... what if IR/UV was designed by P1, but CFA on sensor by Sony for example for IQ3 100 ? so while P1 "owns" one SSF, it does not "own" the second SSF - so to disclose a combo might ( ? ) be a problem... and also for any corporation it is easier not to disclose something /unless there is some law/ rather then disclose... less hassle.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:12:53 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 09:37:51 am »

It is a measurement. Nobody owns measurements in the sense that you can always do your own and publish that.

Edmund

if they measure for their own back may be yes, but may be they have specs for those instead of measurements...  if they don't have SSFs from specs you might as well assume that they don't measure but simply shot targets  ;)

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:41:51 am »

does C1 plan to work on more visually nice painting of clipped areas (that is when raw converter invents the data for 1-2-3 clipped channel from unclipped channels and/or surrounding areas with unclipped data) ? ACR/LR do paint those areas/transitions in a more visually pleasing way, even w/o extra work with local adjustments

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:39:22 am by AlterEgo »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:21:13 am »

regarding CaptureOne:

In the HDR-Tool we have the Highlight and Shadow sliders which you can adjust vom 0 to 100. Wouldn't it be a good idea to enable these sliders to go in the negative direction (-100) as well in order to raise the highlights and darken the shadows? I missed that feature since I made the switch from Lightroom to CaptureOne and I don't know why it hasn't been implemented already.

That is exactly what the contrast slider does if you move the contrast slider in the positive direction.  Alternately you could use curves to accomplish the same thing but with more control of how much of the tonal range gets lifted or dropped.

Christoph B.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:52 am »

That is exactly what the contrast slider does if you move the contrast slider in the positive direction.  Alternately you could use curves to accomplish the same thing but with more control of how much of the tonal range gets lifted or dropped.

I know, it's just a convenience and I don't understand why it's limited to positive values. Besides you can substitute a looooot of tools, sliders and options by changing the curves or levels but that's not the point.
And the contrast slider does not distinguish between the highlights and the shadows. I want to control each separately and sometimes you have to apply a certain curve and you want to change the shadows and/or highlights without changing midtones which isn't that easy when you have a good overall curve.

voidshatter

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am »

Will Phase One be able to secure a high-end sensor exclusive to Phase One in the future, to make the buyers feel superiority and honor for choosing Phase One?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »

I know, it's just a convenience and I don't understand why it's limited to positive values. Besides you can substitute a looooot of tools, sliders and options by changing the curves or levels but that's not the point.
And the contrast slider does not distinguish between the highlights and the shadows. I want to control each separately and sometimes you have to apply a certain curve and you want to change the shadows and/or highlights without changing midtones which isn't that easy when you have a good overall curve.

Levels tool will do what you need.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

eronald

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 07:15:08 pm »

if they measure for their own back may be yes, but may be they have specs for those instead of measurements...  if they don't have SSFs from specs you might as well assume that they don't measure but simply shot targets  ;)

Seeing that this is a on-shot lab test with a $5k instrument, it would be sad ...

Christoph B.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:10 am »

Levels tool will do what you need.

No. They won't. Levels too do not distinguish between shadows and highlights and midtones - if you move the slider you change the whole picture which isn't always necessary or advantageous.

There's a reason why the HDR-sliders exist.

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 01:53:48 pm »

What about the 3-way color balance? It has shadow and highlight adjustments focused into the respective ends of the histogram - the lightness tabs can in effect lighten highlights and darken shadows...
Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 02:00:54 pm »

A feature suggestion: I would love to be able to reduce noise only in the parts affected by the high dynamic range/shadow tool.

narikin

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 04:44:59 pm »

Will Phase One be able to secure a high-end sensor exclusive to Phase One in the future, to make the buyers feel superiority and honor for choosing Phase One?

yes, if/when Pentax comes out with their 100mp updated camera, Phase's customer loyalty could be seriously questioned...

Christoph B.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 06:23:23 pm »

What about the 3-way color balance? It has shadow and highlight adjustments focused into the respective ends of the histogram - the lightness tabs can in effect lighten highlights and darken shadows...

So you'Re saying we should replace curves, brightness, exposure, HDR, levels - etc and just use the 3 way color balance?
Because you could pretty much make the same argument for those as well..

I'm talking about expanding the usability of the HDR-sliders for fine control without having to use the 3way color balance - because it actually reacts differently than HDR.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 11:15:40 pm »

We had a Phase One day today and more tomorrow.  We did 2 videos today and a Capture One 9 update video tomorrow (Friday).  Most of the questions asked will be covered in one of the videos.  We will need a bit of time to edit.  We are traveling next week and have a number of interesting things happening on that trip.  We'll do our best to get things to you as soon as possible.  This year is off to a very fast start. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up