Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Problem  (Read 1972 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Photoshop Problem
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »

All of sudden, after I have opened an image in the current version of Photoshop CC (2015.1.1), when I try to open another image in this same program, it opens the image in a duplicate version of the program in another window. This only happens when I select an image file and use "open with...", not when I open files out of Lightroom CC.

Another issue I see is that, when I select a file and use "open with", I see choices for earlier versions of Photoshop CC 2015. Why aren't these choices going away when I do the incremental updates to the program? I do not see these previous versions as choices in my applications folder.

I am on a Mac with El Capitan, to which I updated in the past few weeks. I don't recall this problem before updating the OS, and I can't recall trying to open multiple images into Photoshop, except with LR, since updating the OS.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Photoshop Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:11 pm »

they're probably extra copies of Photoshop sitting on backup drives etc.  There have been related issues for quite some time, no one seems interested in fixing it. I make sure my backup programs no longer backup the actual PS application, just the other stuff in the folder.  I don't need it backed up since I can just reinstall it.

bottom line the only reliable thing I've found is to make sure there is only one copy of the Photoshop application on any mounted media.

David Eichler

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:50 pm »

they're probably extra copies of Photoshop sitting on backup drives etc.  There have been related issues for quite some time, no one seems interested in fixing it. I make sure my backup programs no longer backup the actual PS application, just the other stuff in the folder.  I don't need it backed up since I can just reinstall it.

bottom line the only reliable thing I've found is to make sure there is only one copy of the Photoshop application on any mounted media.

I back up my computer hard drive two ways: clone and Time Machine. Neither of these has backups that include any other version of Photoshop than the current one and the Time Machine backups only go back about one month. My clone of my hard drive is only a few days old as of now. Furthermore, one of the choices I see with "open with..." is Photoshop CC2014, and I upgraded to Photoshop CC2015 a long time ago. So, how could backups be the problem?

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:16 am »

You need to rebuild the LaunchServices database and prevent Spotlight from indexing your backup volumes.
It's a problem with any program that self-populates the 'Open with / Edit with' listings and it's not only Adobe related.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/finder-or-app-store-finds-other-versions-applications-on-backup-volume
https://bombich.com/software/files/tools/Reset_LaunchServices_Register.app.zip

You'll need to follow these steps:

1 - create Spotlight exclusions
2 - run 'reset LaunchServices'
3 - disconnect all backup drives from the Mac, and reboot
4 - with external drives still NOT connected, open all programs affected once ( i.e. Lr, Ps, C1 etc) and then close
5 - shut down and reconnect all external drives
6 - good to go

There's also a maintenance utility 'Onyx' which I recommend ( you'll find the checkbox under Maintenance>Rebuilding) but it's not for the faint-of-heart! There's also a subset of Onyx, a separate app, unsurprisingly called 'Maintenance'. Less intimidating than the full version. Recommended.

http://www.titanium.free.fr

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:36:42 am by Manoli »

David Eichler

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 04:05:56 am »

You need to rebuild the LaunchServices database and prevent Spotlight from indexing your backup volumes.
It's a problem with any program that self-populates the 'Open with / Edit with' listings and it's not only Adobe related.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/finder-or-app-store-finds-other-versions-applications-on-backup-volume
https://bombich.com/software/files/tools/Reset_LaunchServices_Register.app.zip

You'll need to follow these steps:

1 - create Spotlight exclusions
2 - run 'reset LaunchServices'
3 - disconnect all backup drives from the Mac, and reboot
4 - with external drives still NOT connected, open all programs affected once ( i.e. Lr, Ps, C1 etc) and then close
5 - shut down and reconnect all external drives
6 - good to go

There's also a maintenance utility 'Onyx' which I recommend ( you'll find the checkbox under Maintenance>Rebuilding) but it's not for the faint-of-heart! There's also a subset of Onyx, a separate app, unsurprisingly called 'Maintenance'. Less intimidating than the full version. Recommended.

http://www.titanium.free.fr

Okay. That worked, after doing all the steps. Thanks.

Btw. There are extra steps you mention that are not included in the CCC instructions, at it appears they are really necessary to completely eliminate the problem without having to leave the back-up disk disconnected. From where did you get those?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:34:33 am by David Eichler »

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:57:21 am »

Great!

The extra steps came from experience. A year ago, almost to the day, Wayne Fox started a thread and discussions with Adobe on what transpired to be your problem too. The CCC steps were not sufficient in themselves, though as a general rule it's always good practice to reboot after any maintenance routines.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=96842.msg794165#msg794165

I've used Onyx ever since, but after my earlier post, I saw the slimmed down 'Maintenance' and ran that as I'd had a similar problem with Capture One yesterday. In C1 , if you hover your mouse over the 'Edit with' or 'Open with' lists a tooltip-style box opens up and shows the full path and app the shortcut is pointing too. Mine were a mish-mash.

In fact 'Maintenance' reboots your computer whether you like it or not.
Glad it worked !

David Eichler

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:52:18 am »

Great!

The extra steps came from experience. A year ago, almost to the day, Wayne Fox started a thread and discussions with Adobe on what transpired to be your problem too. The CCC steps were not sufficient in themselves, though as a general rule it's always good practice to reboot after any maintenance routines.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=96842.msg794165#msg794165

I've used Onyx ever since, but after my earlier post, I saw the slimmed down 'Maintenance' and ran that as I'd had a similar problem with Capture One yesterday. In C1 , if you hover your mouse over the 'Edit with' or 'Open with' lists a tooltip-style box opens up and shows the full path and app the shortcut is pointing too. Mine were a mish-mash.

In fact 'Maintenance' reboots your computer whether you like it or not.
Glad it worked !

To be clear, I did not use Onyx, just the six steps.

Manoli

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 06:10:28 am »

To be clear, I did not use Onyx, just the six steps.

Originally, neither did I.
Pages: [1]   Go Up