Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Japanese water fall  (Read 3768 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Japanese water fall
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:47:44 am »

Hello my friends,

What do you think about these 2? This is a water fall called Nabe ga Taki in the Kyushu island of Japan.

Both are high res stitches of course. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Re: Japanese water fall
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:55 pm »

As a result of the overwhelming feedbacks these first 2 got, here is 2 more! ;)

The 3 B&W ones form a set btw.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:03:16 am by BernardLanguillier »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:56 pm »

They are exquisite, Bernard, but no surprise coming from you.
The only problem is I need to go buy a much bigger monitor to see each photo without having to scroll.
But I'm not asking you to post smaller versions, because then we would lose the quality you get as our resident Stitch Master!

Cheers,

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:23 pm »

Eric, if  you are on a PC, hold down "ctrl" while scrolling to diminish or increase the image size...(screen size) to get a peek of the entire waterfall on screen...
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:27 am »

I do that quite regularly, Patricia. The trouble is that I can tell that Bernard's images would look so much grander at a larger size than I can display.

But thanks for the pointer.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rpsphoto

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:28:30 am »

I enjoy the three b&w shots a lot, especially the shot from behind the waterfall. All are composed very well and the pp is excellent.

Best regards,

Bob
CEO  CFO  EIEIO, Ret.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:29:26 am »

Thank you for your kind words! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

stamper

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 06:55:53 am »

I enjoy the three b&w shots a lot, especially the shot from behind the waterfall. All are composed very well and the pp is excellent.

Best regards,

Bob
CEO  CFO  EIEIO, Ret.

Heartily agree!

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 07:04:36 am »

They are exquisite, Bernard

They are, especially the first. Great composition, beautiful execution (given author's intent; see below).

The only problem is I need to go buy a much bigger monitor

My problem is, because of slow shutter speed, the sense of "being there", in that beautiful place, is completely lost. The images look like works of art, but not photographs to me.

That's my pet peeve about the technique in general, not these particular images, so you may want to ignore my comment...

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:12 am »

@Zorki. Greetings. "Completely" is such an iron fist in our means of communication, no? Of course your intent may have been, "for me..."

I cannot know from what experience at waters (waterfalls, mountain streams, brooks, great lake shores,..) each in their infinite varieties of seasons and velocities, you base that "lost", but as a small illustration I will reference the reach between the island where I now live and the mainland across the way. We are in an area affected by profound tidal change, each of those also affected by the particular balance of lunar cycle. I spent much of my youth here as a "visiter" (hit and run photographer) I vainly hoped I was progressing though.

Now, in old age, I am blessed with two moorings in this reach. I am able to hook onto and lie down upon a board all day and night. It is only one miniscule place of "being there" but its lights, luminosities and water speeds and behaviours are without limit. Whether it is on the ebb or flow or the still and quiet of the turn of tide it becomes capable of drawing you out of what you had "concretely" learned and knew of the facts of "being there". Immersion and time and willingness to surrender known vision carries one to a parallel universe of vision and "seeing". I do hope you will find yourself able to gift yourself with time, so that shutter speed becomes instead the velocities of the world in which we swim.

I see this willingness to surrender growing steadily in the work Bernard shares, and it is probably why those, as Eric who spends time along the littorals, are able to see so much more of the awe of place than shutter speed.

One last aside is that you might wonder if a "shutter speed" which wrestles a frozen moment out of space, life forever frozen is a "truer" "sense of place" "for you".

I have enjoyed your contributions to the forum, and that is my only reason for offering these meager crumbs for thought.

A common woman~

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:14:46 am »

@Zorki. ... Of course your intent may have been, "for me..."

Of course. What else could it be?

I remember not so long ago Rob Campbell started one of his messages with "I'm only speaking for myself...", and that provoked some hilarious comments...  :)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:01 am »

In Zorki's defence, he did say "my problem," not "the problem."

Anyway, my subjective, just me hesitation is similar: somehow the mixture of razor sharp foreground (or background, depending on the image) is a strange mix with the abstracted-by-motion-blur representation of the water. Sometimes this can work, such as the typical shot of a pier in a blurred sea (although that has been done to death). However when I look at a waterfall, I tend to give more visual attention to the water than I am allowed here. In other words, I feel the choices made in the exposure constrain me to look at the scene in a way I find unnatural. It's a little bit like a Disney film with an animated cartoon character dropped into a realistic scene vis green-screen.

Others may of course find it completely natural :-)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 09:44:31 am »

...somehow the mixture of razor sharp foreground (or background, depending on the image) is a strange mix with the abstracted-by-motion-blur representation of the water.

It works for me. The sharp surroundings accentuate the movement of the water.

I especially like the layers of waterfalls in these photographs.

EricV

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 12:32:37 pm »

The last one works for me -- it is as good as any of your spectacular mountain images -- but somehow not the first three.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 01:53:51 pm »

I see this willingness to surrender growing steadily in the work Bernard shares, and it is probably why those, as Eric who spends time along the littorals, are able to see so much more of the awe of place than shutter speed.

One last aside is that you might wonder if a "shutter speed" which wrestles a frozen moment out of space, life forever frozen is a "truer" "sense of place" "for you".

Patricia, I though more about your message, and here's what I have to say...

I'm not advocating for "true" photography, or anything like that (think secessionist vs. pictorialist :) ). Nope. I quite enjoy great many different styles. Or their mixtures -- provided they are "right" ones (for me).

I did like some extremely low-speed seascapes (some 10 sec. exposures), where water did not look like water at all, they were almost abstracts -- and yet managed to convey the sense of utter calmness, something you can experience at a sea shore. No movement, at all.

But I do take issue with smoothing water flow in rivers, brooks, waterfalls, you name it. To me, it just looks like a cool trick; yes, cool, but still just a trick, done million times. As if someone shown me another photograph of a Pisa tower "supported" by a tourist (standing much closer to the camera; I hope you know what I mean). It just doesn't do anything for me. It does not do water justice -- IMHO. The water just ceases to be water, but (unlike with very long exposures) does not become something else yet.

Again, this is very personal, subjective, you name it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »

I'm a sucker for long-exposure waterfall shots. These are, as expected, excellent. I particularly like the first. The last is intriguing: the streams of water could almost be beams of light piercing mist.

Jeremy

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 04:10:28 pm »

I think the last one is great. The rest to me are good.
-MattB

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 05:57:03 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to comment my friends.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »

I think the last one is great. The rest to me are good.

+1.
The last one has an unusual perspective and the way the water falls on the right side of the frame makes you question how can that be (eg. not falling vertical but at an angle).

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 02:28:57 am »

+1.
The last one has an unusual perspective and the way the water falls on the right side of the frame makes you question how can that be (eg. not falling vertical but at an angle).

Thanks. Yes, as you can see on the other images, water is flowing in various directions. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up