Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor of a new Hasselblad 100 megapixels back  (Read 19148 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Re: Rumor of a new Hasselblad 100 megapixels back
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 06:29:26 am »

Karl Taylor is a very well respected high end commercial photographer who uses (and promotes) Hasselblad cameras.  If he says he has seen the specs of a new 100MP Hasselblad camera, you can bet your house it's real. 

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Ken R

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 07:20:06 am »

Karl Taylor is a very well respected high end commercial photographer who uses (and promotes) Hasselblad cameras.  If he says he has seen the specs of a new 100MP Hasselblad camera, you can bet your house it's real.

Yea. Just a quick glance at his site told me he isn't the type who would throw some rumor like that as bait to generate web traffic.

Anyway, I think the Phase IQ backs are nicer. Money no object of course but the Hasselblad would need to be a heck of a lot cheaper to sway a lot of people. The H system itself is really good in regards to body and lenses. The backs could use a much better lcd screen (seems an easy enough fix but has not happened yet) and the software could use some improvements (C1pro is way ahead) but overall solid system.

Now, how much cheaper? $12-15k should do it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 07:26:58 am »

The IQ3 100 is $43,990 U.S.$.

yeah, I know, still pricey but I keep seeing the wrong price quoted.  Basically it replaces the IQ380 as the top back at the same price point.

Thanks for the correction, I guess I had quoted the price with the 80mm lens included.

Cheers,
Bernard

torger

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 09:12:17 am »

That Hasselblad's backs and software feels a bit old is simply because their poor economy, they haven't had the economy to put in the manpower required to get up to date. Although changing a screen is "simple", they've been forced to prioritize more important things. Plus that I think they don't really like the iPhone-like touch concept on a professional camera, which is a matter of taste.

I don't think the old-school feel of their backs and software is a huge problem though as long as the camera body is good, and it had at least up to the XF a distinct lead.

We'll see what this 100MP back will be, but the most likely is that it's almost exactly like the H5D-50c but with the new larger sensor, and pricing will be about the same as historical high end backs. For tech cam users it will sell ~0 especially as you can't buy the back alone... but if they make a CFV with CFV-like pricing it would be an interesting alternative to tech cam users.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 09:52:40 am »

Carl Taylor is a guy who never uses one light where five will do,  ;D  Very good studio photographer, though.

I have invested in several H series lenses and like the H-system generally; their bodies are generally better, in my opinion, than the  Phase equivalents. the bigger issue for me with medium format  is weight and size.  The latest 42/50mp full frame 35mm digital cameras are so good, how often is a MFD setup needed?   Not often was my conclusion when I almost ceased using my H5D.

Yea. Just a quick glance at his site told me he isn't the type who would throw some rumor like that as bait to generate web traffic.

Anyway, I think the Phase IQ backs are nicer. Money no object of course but the Hasselblad would need to be a heck of a lot cheaper to sway a lot of people. The H system itself is really good in regards to body and lenses. The backs could use a much better lcd screen (seems an easy enough fix but has not happened yet) and the software could use some improvements (C1pro is way ahead) but overall solid system.

Now, how much cheaper? $12-15k should do it.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Ken R

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:38 pm »

Carl Taylor is a guy who never uses one light where five will do,  ;D  Very good studio photographer, though.

I have invested in several H series lenses and like the H-system generally; their bodies are generally better, in my opinion, than the  Phase equivalents. the bigger issue for me with medium format  is weight and size.  The latest 42/50mp full frame 35mm digital cameras are so good, how often is a MFD setup needed?   Not often was my conclusion when I almost ceased using my H5D.

I do most of my work with the Canon 5D3. Just boringly easy to use, carry, reliable, solid lens line. My work is quite wide ranging. I might spend weeks on a film set as a stills photographer where my 5D3 lives inside a Blimp with the 70-200 and the 1Ds3 on my shoulder with with a zoom. OTOH I might be booked for some architecture shots where I have little access time at the locations and need to work fast and provide lots of shots, I use the Canon again. In the studio though (and when jobs require MUCH less number of shots and much more time per shot) I use the IQ160 back on the H1 with the 80mm or even on the ARCA RM3Di with the HR-W lenses.

I have yet to find one camera that works for all my needs hence I own several.

For those whose work has a more limited scope making commitment to a single system might be much more feasible.

Honestly I like the Hasselblad H body and AF. It has worked well for me even on location doing portraits of a kid. Wide open. I mean yes, its slower than the AF in any DSLR pretty much but its not a surprise so I know what to expect and work accordingly.

The XF body though seems like a HUGE leap ahead of the DF+ (a remnant from the Mamiya 645 days). The XF seems to only share the lens and back mount thats it. I can't comment on the XF performance because I have never used it but just looking at the comments and photos/videos about it it seems very impressive.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 02:47:48 pm »

If you put an MFD on a technical camera it is essentially a mirrorless system. Now, integrate camera with back.
“integrate with camera back” ... that’s the key.  That’s what Pentax could do that would rock ... digital back/body combo with AF, AE etc, that can use other lens brands like the sony can ...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 03:28:06 pm »

Hi Wayne,

Pentax or someone else. Why not Phase One, who already cooperates with Alpa? Or some startup in Shanghai.

Here is my short list of features I would like to see:

• Electronic control of shutter and a aperture, with shutter being far more important
  • Electronic first shutter curtain on FP-shutter based systems
  • Functional live view, with freely selectable enlarged view(s)
  • Advanced intervalometer function
  • Peaking and zebras, both need to be tog-able
  • Electronic cropping enabling different aspect ratios
  • Shift and tilt on the back, record tilt and shift data in EXIF
  • Possible to attach an electronic viewfinder
  • Opportunities are almost unlimited

Most of those things could be easily implemented. Some of those features are available on some cameras. Noticed that EXIF from the IQ-3 100 MP has fields for shift and tilt, some promise for the future?

Best regard
Erik
“integrate with camera back” ... that’s the key.  That’s what Pentax could do that would rock ... digital back/body combo with AF, AE etc, that can use other lens brands like the sony can ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:31:52 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 03:51:47 pm »

Alpa are precise but minimalist: No electric shutter cocking, no powered shift or tilt or AF (focus stacking)
Someone else will reinvent the tech/view cam.
Note that eg. a Sony A7R2 could do some tilt, shift, multishot and focus stacking, with a standard or a tech lens, with the right firmware or a hack and external computer control of the sensor antishake frame. Time for a new Magic Lantern project ...

Edmund

Hi Wayne,

Pentax or someone else. Why not Phase One, who already cooperates with Alpa? Or some startup in Shanghai.

Here is my short list of features I would like to see:

• Electronic control of shutter and a aperture, with shutter being far more important
  • Electronic first shutter curtain on FP-shutter based systems
  • Functional live view, with freely selectable enlarged view(s)
  • Advanced intervalometer function
  • Peaking and zebras, both need to be tog-able
  • Electronic cropping enabling different aspect ratios
  • Shift and tilt on the back, record tilt and shift data in EXIF
  • Possible to attach an electronic viewfinder
  • Opportunities are almost unlimited

Most of those things could be easily implemented. Some of those features are available on some cameras. Noticed that EXIF from the IQ-3 100 MP has fields for shift and tilt, some promise for the future?

Best regard
Erik
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:55:12 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Franzl

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 04:02:55 pm »

if Sony will make something, it will be for a major market I assume. So if they bring out something like that, it won't be only pro orientated. and of course Hasselblad will bring out a new camera, so will Pentax and PhaseOne. As long as the companys won't die, there will be a new camera. At one point you got to invest in 5 years down the road you will think about reinvesting...never ending story :-)

no matter what, the current tools we have to make photos is awesome. if you think back what happened in the last 5 years. For me, everything what comes now is just Bonus. There isn't anything that is missing to make great photos, imho. with a 100MP back, I got the feeling that even 8x10 is obsolete. For me though, a 100MP back would be a too big workflow (storage, computer power, processing time, etc)...if I need something like that, I will rent it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 04:03:49 pm »

Hi Edmund,

Ever heard about Alpa FPS? https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/alpa-12-fps

Focus stacking in camera is a feature I'd like to see! You can do it on Canon using Magic Lantern or CamRanger, AFAIK.

Best regards
Erik

Alpa are precise but minimalist: No electric shutter cocking, no powered shift or tilt or AF (focus stacking)
Someone else will reinvent the tech/view cam.
Note that eg. a Sony A7R2 could do some tilt, shift, multishot and focus stacking, with a standard or a tech lens, with the right firmware or a hack and external computer control of the sensor antishake frame. Time for a new Magic Lantern project ...

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

Joe Towner

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 04:12:21 pm »

If Hasselblad is prototyping the 100mp Sony chip, we'll quickly see where they see their V series lenses.  Yes, the H series will be built with what ever sensors they can get a hold of, but to do a CFV-100c would either validate the Phase opinion on the V mount, or give folks an option.
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:01 pm »

Hi,

My take is that if Hasselblad has access to the Sony sensor and if they really build an MFD around it they may offer a CVF version of it, if they can find a business case.

A full frame sensor would obviously be attractive to V-system users, the question is weather enough V-system users would buy the back.

Personally, I would be interested if I would have the money to spend, but it may be that I don't think the benefits are worth the costs. I feel the P45+ I have is good enough for my needs.

Best regards
Erik

If Hasselblad is prototyping the 100mp Sony chip, we'll quickly see where they see their V series lenses.  Yes, the H series will be built with what ever sensors they can get a hold of, but to do a CFV-100c would either validate the Phase opinion on the V mount, or give folks an option.
Erik Kaffehr

BAB

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »

Hasselblad has the same access to Sony sensors as Phase One and from what I understand they are working as closely with Sony as Phase One does.

I'm not saying they would release the same 100mp sensor as mentioned by another poster since they don't yet have an 80mp out. (But who knows) I do believe though we may be pleasantly surprised in the not to distant future!!!

That being said advancements in software that can bring more creativity with less effort or better IQ with less knowledge and/or experience is the key to a better selling product.

EX. Sensor measures all areas of light and thru software you can have a solution for a perfectly bracketed set of exposures giving you say 16 stops of DR not only that but the user is able to select the in-focus range and the program goes into action firing the shutter and creating the images.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Theodoros

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »

Hi,

My take is that if Hasselblad has access to the Sony sensor and if they really build an MFD around it they may offer a CVF version of it, if they can find a business case.

A full frame sensor would obviously be attractive to V-system users, the question is weather enough V-system users would buy the back.

Personally, I would be interested if I would have the money to spend, but it may be that I don't think the benefits are worth the costs. I feel the P45+ I have is good enough for my needs.

Best regards
Erik

Doug mentioned in another conversation with me that Hassy asked for m645 interface as to make compatible backs for Mamiya (he also mentioned that there are two interfaces for M645 and that they consider more the older one)... This means that Hasselblad will be making (again) their backs for third party platforms as they used to do in the past with the CF backs (fingers crossed with user interchangeable plates too)... Of course V mount is a major part of Hassy's interest... It was about time!

Theodoros

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 07:32:20 pm »

I too think that the rumor under discussion is pure web trolling with no base behind it at alll... This doesn't mean that Hasselblad won't be using the FF Sony sensor, it simply means that the "rumor" is an "attention attract" simple fiction creation... Hasselblad will certainly be releasing new backs higher in the line from the 50c... This is obvious since they practically sell products only based on one sensor at the moment and also moved it in a price point that suggests that it will be their "entry level" product from now on... The timing of the pricing policy also suggests that these higher in the line backs are to be released soon... For the moment, Hasselblad is selling very well indeed due to their pricing policy and also makes more profit that ever selling a cheaper to make than the H5-40 product, at much larger quantities and at 25% higher price at the same time... I believe that the soon coming higher up in the line new back will be very well marketing calculated too... Now whether it will be Sony's sensor or other (or both) remains to be seen....

My opinion is that they should be after an exclusive to them sensor that (like Leica with the S007) would "turn its back" to the megapixel war that some suggest, would be friendly to cameras with movements, would be able to support HQ video, would have optimum size pixels for multishot so that it would ease further multishot mechanical process and that would address  to professional needs...

My "dream back" is a 37x49 Cmos one with 6μm size pixels (50mp resolution) with MS ability and great LV... I don't want (mf) "FF size" as a 24mm lens can solve the WA problem for good and a FF sensor can stress significantly lens performance, I don't want more than 50 mps as it is more than enough to print billboards and I don't want smaller than 6μm pixels or larger files to store or develop... and I certainly don't want a FF ...100mp back!

RobertJ

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:42 pm »

What about a 100MP Leaf back?  I've always liked Leaf files better.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:27 am »

Auto ETTR. The problem is the speculars.
Don't tell Synn that a competitor could add a feature which Phase one does not have :)

Edmund

Hasselblad has the same access to Sony sensors as Phase One and from what I understand they are working as closely with Sony as Phase One does.

I'm not saying they would release the same 100mp sensor as mentioned by another poster since they don't yet have an 80mp out. (But who knows) I do believe though we may be pleasantly surprised in the not to distant future!!!

That being said advancements in software that can bring more creativity with less effort or better IQ with less knowledge and/or experience is the key to a better selling product.

EX. Sensor measures all areas of light and thru software you can have a solution for a perfectly bracketed set of exposures giving you say 16 stops of DR not only that but the user is able to select the in-focus range and the program goes into action firing the shutter and creating the images.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Domenico

• My 500px portfolio
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 03:09:21 am »

Another rumor of the new arrival of the Hasselblad 100c is arrived from my dealer,
They said the developement of the new camera is at advanced stage.

As per the 50c CMOS despite it's resolution the chip is different from the others 50Mp from Phase and Pentax, also the resolution is different,  this because hasselblad have a different aproach on color filters and a different blind pixel mask that permit a more precision in noise cancelling / long exposure.
They are waiting the new 100Mp CMOS Made with their specs to switch between prototype Phase to the market.

There is no other news, they said the new camera would be annunced and presented on Photokina'16
That's all.
Best Regards,   Domenico.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 03:45:33 am »

Auto ETTR. The problem is the speculars.
Don't tell Synn that a competitor could add a feature which Phase one does not have :)

Edmund

As someone who is actually using a medium format camera, I think I am a bit more informed on which platforms offer which features than you do.
You may crawl back under your bridge now.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up