Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color temp on a photo  (Read 1570 times)

Joe Towner

Color temp on a photo
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:05:26 am »

First time I've come across this - shooting H4D-50 - I've got an amazing shot, but started screwing with it.  Shot was set to Daylight - 5500K, and got the blue'ish image.  Scene matches what I'm seeing with my eyes.

I auto white balanced against a building I know, and the color temp went to 47,000K.  Um, ok, this is amazing, pushed 1.5 stops.  47,000K??? Didn't know it went that high...

Pull it back a bit, and while it looks kinda natural, I'm really impressed.  I guess I need to look at other photos and see how they react to such an edit.
t: @PNWMF

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Color temp on a photo
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:48:14 am »

I just had to deal with this yesterday. Went for a hike trying to catch the sunset light from a mountain I love, but weather wasn't good and I spent most of the time inside a cloud (literally).

As soon as the cloud moved on, the Sun had set and it was twilight (civil twilight to be exact) which has the blue tinge if balanced for daylight just like the "blue hour" before sunrise.

This is the shot with out of camera white and color balance:

This is the shot corrected to my liking:

If you are going to a pretty picture and not something 100% accurate to reality, play with color as much as you like!
Instagram (updated often)

torger

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:45 am »

About the non-linearity of the temperature scale this is a good article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

In the summer I usually have the color temperature set at daylight preset. In the winter the "color of snow" becomes a challenge and I do much more "to taste" adjustments.

Concerning creative color balances I think there's a lot to learn from movie industry grading techniques where it's used extensively to set a mood. And indeed, color wheels (a common grading tool) have been introduced to Capture One. I think we're going to see more merging of movie and stills post processing techniques as more and more photographers will be working with both.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:04:39 am by torger »

landscapephoto

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:41:59 pm »

How does the color wheel work in Capture One? Is it different than the one of Phocus?

jsiva

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:09:01 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 02:14:03 pm »

...I've got an amazing shot, but started screwing with it...

Which sometimes might produce surprisingly good results. Sometimes, a "wrong" white balance might result in the "right" image.

This shot was taken in a mundane mid-day light. Not until I started "screwing with it," i.e., changing the white balance, and selected the most unlikely one (Tungsten), was I able to see the other-wordly potential in the image. At the same time, I realized that the blue cast matches nicely the name of the building, Aqua.

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »

Link I found useful...

http://blog.phaseone.com/color-grading-made-easy/

This is not a color wheel. This is what is usually called a 3-way color corrector. This is very useful when one needs to correct shadow or highlights casts, or simply raise shadows, etc... but does not serve the same purpose as a color wheel. A color wheel is typically used to change the mood of a picture by constraining its colors to a chosen color harmony, while still keeping skin tones believable. Can Capture One do that?

jsiva

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 05:58:18 pm »

This is not a color wheel. This is what is usually called a 3-way color corrector. This is very useful when one needs to correct shadow or highlights casts, or simply raise shadows, etc... but does not serve the same purpose as a color wheel. A color wheel is typically used to change the mood of a picture by constraining its colors to a chosen color harmony, while still keeping skin tones believable. Can Capture One do that?

Hmm..I saw colors and I saw wheels:) 

I have found this new tool that came out in C1 v9 to be very useful.  Outside of this, there is a color editor for selectively editing/selecting related color families.  There are also several styles and presets, but i don't think that's what you're looking for.  Don't believe there is anything else, but I could be wrong. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up