Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there some Epson SC P800 wiki somewhere?  (Read 2415 times)

Nora_nor

Is there some Epson SC P800 wiki somewhere?
« on: January 10, 2016, 06:18:23 am »

Is there some collected knowledge out somewhere yet?
-Like, which driver version is the correct one,
I downloaded from the europe website but not sure,
do I download all the other things from that epson site like the layout thing and the colour thing, do I need them if I use LR or PS anyway,

-do I choose a different setting for auto power off

-do I choose a different setting for auto cleaning cycles

this might save people many hours of trial and error and web searching

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Is there some Epson SC P800 wiki somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:20:55 am »

There is no such thing as the "correct" driver version. It depends on what you want to do with the printer. If you want a relatively automatic way of just making device-determined prints of photos from your cellphone or pad, the Airprint driver will suffice. If you are into making serious prints over which you want to have control of how the prints are colour-managed you need the full version of the driver. My recommendation to anyone the least bit serious about using this printer's potential is to use the full version of the driver.

I believe you can find answers to your other questions in the manual, or just by scrolling through the settings options in the maintenance mode of the LCD panel and seeing what they provide. I don't know of any "wiki", but if there is one a Google search should provide it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:50:46 pm »

Unfortunately there is no wiki like the Canon wide format wiki.

Auto shut down and nozzle checks are a personal preference thing, but if it behaves anything like the 3880, you may want to turn off auto checks and just do a manual one once in a while. I have never used the Epson layout tool, because you can do that in Lightroom or Qimage. And the ColorBase tool probably will not do you any good unless you own a spectrophotometer.

Nora_nor

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:35:19 am »

I found out that even after downloading the right driver from epson from the right region, the v.2 driver (=airprint) installs.
Just go to the printers in system preferences, and highlight the P800 and click on -  , and then the + and add printer, and the P800 shows up. THEN you get two choices, the air print driver and the full driver. Just install both and call the Airprint driver Airprint so you always see what driver the mac is using.

Just my suggestion.

And then it installs the paper profiles after just pretending to print something from PS , but the media types do not show up yet.

But by choosing different paper sources and clicking around some things start filling in.

First then the different media types show up.

The driver was dumb even with the correct driver...until trying to print with some fina art paper from the front. Did not have to print actually.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:26:17 am »

I have to be candid and tell you that when I set about first testing the P800 I too got fouled-up by this "Airprint" driver that installed by default. Then I saw that none of the usual options I would deploy for making serious prints were available. After a very short discussion with an Epson representative, we discovered the cause, deleted the printer and re-instated it with the correct driver selected. Once the "Series" (USB) driver is selected as the printer, everything else one needs - all the available paper types and other management options should fall into place rather seamlessly. It does take a bit of learning to become accustomed to the ins and outs of the driver, but after a bit of experience with it, it's quite manageable. For those who don't want to be bothered with the driver, there are options such as LaserSoft Imaging's PrinTao application, which is "RIP-ish but not a RIP", or a real RIP such as ImagePrint. They really simplify printing while preserving all the quality and sophistication, arguably plus some, but for those you pay.

Nora_nor

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:32:01 am »

Any programs available for mac?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:36:05 am »

PrinTao is Mac only, and ImagePrint is both Mac and Windows.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »

I use Mirage Print. Probably similar to the others. You can get a 14 day trial.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up