Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: changed Canon yellow ink cartridge - color has changed  (Read 1731 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
changed Canon yellow ink cartridge - color has changed
« on: January 08, 2016, 08:12:05 pm »

Today while printing on my iPF6400 I got the message that I should prepare to change my Yellow cartridge, that it was almost empty. I was about to print a 2'x5' print and didn't want to run out of ink in the middle of the print. (I know there is a separate ink reservoir in addition to the cartridge but I don't know how big it us.) I had prepared for this and had a brand new 300ml Y cartridge ready and installed it. I started the print and left the room. When I came back I had a 2' x 5' print with incorrect color - the yellow is weak. Greens that should be slightly yellow-green are not, they are more green or blue-green. I was stunned since I had changed nothing. I looked at my Lightroom history file to confirm that nothing had changed since I last printed the file several days ago. Then I picked another file and printed a small 8x11 version of it and it has the same problem. I called Canon tech support and, after doing a nozzle check and a head clean and confirming that my cartridge is apparently a genuine Canon cartridge, they said they were stumped. I've had this printer for a little over a year. This is the third Y cartridge I've used. I purchased both replacement Y cartridges from IT Supplies and they appear genuine. The cartridge that just expired says to install before 2016-02 and the one I just installed says to install by 2017-08.
I'm in a pickle as I have a collection of print-proofed files I need to print for an upcoming exhibit and have neither the time nor the desire to go through the laborious process of proofing them all over again so they look right with this cartridge.

I have checked to make sure that all my rendering settings, both in LR and in the Canon Printer driver (no color correction there), hadn't somehow gotten changed. I have been printing almost daily for the past two weeks and this happened coincident with the cartridge change. I am printing on Moab Entrada Natural Rag and have confirmed that the printer knows this.

I'm stumped and very concerned. It appears that either the new cartridge, or the previous cartridge that I used to proof my proofs, is out of spec. At this point my only option appears to be to order another Y cartridge and have it express-shipped, then drain the Y tank and install the new cartridge; hoping that the one I just installed is out of spec. I am saving my old cartridge, which is not completely empty, in case it comes to sending it and the new one back to Canon for inspection.

I know it is highly unlikely (isn't it?) that colors would ever differ noticeably between cartridges. I also know that I have only a little over a year experience using LR and this printer.

Am I overlooking something I could have done to cause this? Has anyone ever experienced a color shift after changing cartridges?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:26:33 pm by pcgpcg »

samueljohnchia

Re: changed Canon yellow ink cartridge - color has changed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 08:24:53 pm »

I just faced a similar yet different issue. I had to change the right print head and 3 ink carts, all at the same time. Right afterwards, I lost 1/3 of the color gamut of the printer for no apparent reason. Nothing was wrong, nozzle check OK, dither pattern good, everything was properly aligned, media settings was correct, paper was correct. Looking at the gamut plots and printed target themselves it was clear that the printer was laying down a lot less ink than usual. I reset my custom media settings with the MCT and suddenly all seems back to normal. Extremely weird!

I've not noticed an hue shifting, just loss of density and therefore gamut. It sounds like you have a significant loss of yellow output, leading to the hue shifts you noted.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:58:12 pm »

Problem solved!

First I want to thank you Samuel. Although you didn't directly give me the fix, reading your comments about resetting things gave me the idea to completely "reboot" the printer. I turned it off (actually unplugged it from the wall) for one minute, then powered it back up. I then reprinted both files from LR and everything is back too normal. To say I am relieved is an understatement.

I would like to point out that the free Canon tech support did not solve my problem, but my $1/month subscription to Lula did. I guess you get what you pay for! :)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:08:38 pm by pcgpcg »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:20 pm »

You're welcome Paul. Glad to hear that everything is back to normal now! I admit I didn't try re-starting my printer. Good going! What weird problems these X4XX Canon printers keep giving. I doubt that Canon tech help knows them that well either. I've had lots of trouble getting perfect alignment and super smooth dither with my 8400 for a long time for one. And the pinch rollers were crushing all kinds of paper. Then full electrical meltdown. Every time I think I get the better of the printer it throws up some new issue. Don't blame Canon! All a big mystery.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:08:50 am »

I would like to point out that the free Canon tech support did not solve my problem, but my $1/month subscription to Lula did. I guess you get what you pay for! :)
Except membership of the forum is free, no subscription to post or read here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up