Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed with Bird PP workflow  (Read 1812 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Help needed with Bird PP workflow
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:06:00 am »

Guys I shot this Blue Tail Bee Eater this morning at these settings
Nikon D810
ISO 1400
f8
1/1000
600mm f4
My question is while trying not to loose father detail by adding noise reduction I managed to get this look with still quite a bit of detail in the fathers just buy adding a wee bitty of sharping and one pass in ColorEfex Pro......I used Gaussian blur to fix the noisy background.

On print it looks great but I am wondering if anyone wants to share another workflow that they use or one an I can look at online (Paid or Free) to maybe help me bring out more detail in the bird.
I am using CS6

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
Re: Help needed with Bird PP workflow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:11:31 am »

Hi Neil,

Nice photo!  It looks good at this size on screen, but it's hard to tell without seeing the original.  If you could give access to it I would be interested to see if it's possible to apply some noise reduction before sharpening (although there probably isn't much noise at ISO 1400?).

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:36:17 am »

Hi Neil,

Nice photo!  It looks good at this size on screen, but it's hard to tell without seeing the original.  If you could give access to it I would be interested to see if it's possible to apply some noise reduction before sharpening (although there probably isn't much noise at ISO 1400?).

Robert
Here you go mate
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15brqv12vu9jqus/Neil%27s_Photography_January%2008%2C%202016__NUK1536.NEF?dl=0

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:02:02 pm »

Hello Neil, congrats on the capture of the bird.

When I looked at the image that you provided for download it just took me a couple of minutes in Lightroom to produce this with the basic adjustment and the Radial Filter and Adjustment Brush.  Blurring the background by decreasing sharpness and clarity seemed to be a good look and I found no noise worth worrying about.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Ron

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:38 pm »

I would replace the background, because I think the brightness detracts from the subject. I used curves and Topaz Clarity to bring out the colors and details a little more.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »

I would replace the background, because I think the brightness detracts from the subject. I used curves and Topaz Clarity to bring out the colors and details a little more.

Getting rid of the background makes great artistic sense.  I'm not sure how that will sit with a birder though.
Regards,
Ron

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »

That looks a lot better....do you mind sharing how you did that in a step by step 1234 kind of way?

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 06:01:41 pm »

Getting rid of the background makes great artistic sense.  I'm not sure how that will sit with a birder though.

I agree. Serious birders tend to be purists about that sort of thing. You don't mess with Mother Nature.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »

I agree. Serious birders tend to be purists about that sort of thing. You don't mess with Mother Nature.
I know but you did and I would like to know how you did that..........if you know what I mean :) :) :)

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 06:11:13 pm »

That looks a lot better....do you mind sharing how you did that in a step by step 1234 kind of way?

That would take a lot of numbers! But the key to the whole thing is building a mask that separates the bird/branch from the background (see attachment). From there its a matter of putting in the background you want, adjusting color, brightness, etc. I just used a picture of some trees and blurred it a lot, then clipped a hue/sat adjustment layer to that to turn it a dull gold. (All of this is in Photoshop, by the way.)

Masking is the hardest part, and I can't really explain step by step how to do that because there so many variables. In this case it calls for some painstaking painting around the edges after a rough mask is made with the quick select tool. There are lots of tutorials on masking you can find by searching.

Pages: [1]   Go Up