Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockslide in Yosemite  (Read 1336 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Rockslide in Yosemite
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:21:16 pm »

If you are heading into Yosemite this weekend be advised that HWY 140 is closed due to a large Rockslide.  This is what happens after a wildfire and then a bunch of rain and snow. http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/rockslide-in-yosemite-national-park.htm

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Re: Rockslide in Yosemite
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:56:06 pm »

This is what happens when you let lumber companies log.  Then so-called eco organizations come in and don't let controlled burns happen because they are loving our forest to death.  It takes 1000's of years for a forest to come back to a virgin state that it can maintain itself from major a catastrophe.  I work with TNC, it amazes me that many so called environmental organizations will stop controlled burns that help the forest and meadows.  T

sierraman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:10:32 am »

The 140 is re-open! See you there this weekend.  :)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:38:15 am »

Tim,
Actually the area that slid burned two years ago, and it is considered one of the most unstable areas in the canyon. Unfortunately, an air tanker crashed trying to drop a load of flame retardant. Our hearts go out to the pilot who lost his life trying to save our small townships. air tanker crash  Yosemite National Park does have an extensive fire program that includes controlled burning.Yosemite Fire Info  A big problem now is that many of our trees have succumbed to bark beetle damage which will make for a tinderbox come summer.  I agree that in this day and age fire management is as important as ever.  My graduate work was looking at lodgepole pine communities that came back after the 1988 Yellowstone Fires.

I also hope to get out this weekend for a Valley drive through and of course a ski at Badger Pass.  When the road closed I had to get work together for my students that live in Yosemite Valley.  I'm sure it will happen again.

Hugh
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:39:35 pm by HSakols »
Pages: [1]   Go Up