Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 - choice of feed tray  (Read 6454 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: P800 - choice of feed tray
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:48 am »

I never had any issue with the drivers.  I connected the printer to my USB cable and everything went fine on the install from there.

Just to be clear, the "best practices" approach is to hardwire the computer to printer connection for the first install (initial install) of any printer. After that initial install it's easier to add additional connection methods. But, don't use "AirPrint" as the first install method...I knew enough not to do that. Mark got sucked into loading the AirPrint driver and then got screwed up...till I told him (if it hurts, don't do that!!!)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:55 pm »

Just to be clear, the "best practices" approach is to hardwire the computer to printer connection for the first install (initial install) of any printer. After that initial install it's easier to add additional connection methods. But, don't use "AirPrint" as the first install method...I knew enough not to do that. Mark got sucked into loading the AirPrint driver and then got screwed up...till I told him (if it hurts, don't do that!!!)

Now, now Jeff, if I'm the MARK your talkin' about I had all that cleared-up on the P800 last June. Then in Indy I got screwed up again this time on the Pro-1000 because unexpectedly  Canon's install routine pulled the same shenanigan - almost like those guys conspire in mischief, just for the conversation and publicity it generates.  :-)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Nora_nor

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 02:42:27 am »

I downloaded the correct driver, and BOTH get downloaded. You just have to use the + in the printers menu and add them and name them correctly. But both are there. By default the airprint driver is active....

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 09:09:27 am »

....... By default the airprint driver is active....

Exactly, and that is what's so ill-conceived. The default should be the full driver on a professional printer.

rdonson

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:24 am »

It's even more confusing if you have more than one Epson printer known to a Mac.  The OS then defaults to the last used printer.  That's nasty when you thought you were printing an email on your Epson Workforce printer and it goes to your P800.   >:(
Regards,
Ron

howardm

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 10:31:45 am »

Ron, that is selectable in the Printer Pref Pane.  Either set a default or default to last used.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 11:10:39 am »

You can change that default.

rdonson

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 07:38:36 pm »

Thanks, Howard and Mark.  That was a big DOH! on my part.  I just checked and the default was set to my Workforce 630.  I probably did that after that time I wasted a sheet on the P800. 
Regards,
Ron

snowrs

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »

OK, I will add my .02 worth.  I had a 3800, and now have a P800.

I have used the front feed for some of them, but have found that they all feed through the top feed OK, IF you set the thickness to 4 and the platen to Wide.  Been doing it for 3-4 years without a problem.  I constantly use Canson Photographique, Ilford Gold Fiber, Hamn Photo Silk Baryta and feed it through the top feeder.

The 'straight path' feed is troublesome on these papers.  However, when I print fine art matte stuff, I do use it.

bob snow

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 03:52:58 pm »

OK, I will add my .02 worth.  I had a 3800, and now have a P800.

I have used the front feed for some of them, but have found that they all feed through the top feed OK, IF you set the thickness to 4 and the platen to Wide.  Been doing it for 3-4 years without a problem.  I constantly use Canson Photographique, Ilford Gold Fiber, Hamn Photo Silk Baryta and feed it through the top feeder.

The 'straight path' feed is troublesome on these papers.  However, when I print fine art matte stuff, I do use it.

bob snow

Yes, and it's worth about that.

If a machine has been designed for use in the specified ways, it may work in other ways too, but you do - not maybe - you do - run a risk that over the longer term the printer may not like you for it. Furthermore, when you need to force the platen gap and the paper thickness because you are using the wrong feed, there is also a possibility that apparent resolution could be modestly compromised. I agree that the front feeder can be a bit finicky for placing some of those papers just right, but with a bit of experience it becomes pretty seamless.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up