Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 - choice of feed tray  (Read 6457 times)

afterimages

P800 - choice of feed tray
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:54:13 am »

Has someone found a generalization to use in selecting which tray to use for various paper? The Epson manual shows all non-matte (I think) paper going in the Sheet Feeder, and mattes in the Manual (for Epson's papers). Why?

The only reference to thickness is 1.2-1.5mm for 'thick media' going into the Manual tray. Carson's Platine is around .4mm. Although my instinct is to put the Platine thru the Manual, has anyone tried putting it thru the Sheet Feeder? I'm to cheap to risk.

At any rate, since thickness does not seem to be the determining factor, what is? Surface type, stiffness?

rick

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: P800 - choice of feed tray
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:31:57 am »

Main factors are weight and thickness. Papers thicker, heavier, stiffer than Premium Luster are probably best fed through the front feeder. Take guidance from page 42 of the manual on the papers to load through the front feed tray (for so-called "Fine Art" papers).
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:37 am »

almost all matte (except UPPM) or FineArt papers go through the front, also thicker other media (including lustre media). 

Pretty much all gloss/lustre/semi can go through the sheet feeder (unless it's really heavy/thick)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:48:01 am »

almost all matte (except UPPM) or FineArt papers go through the front, also thicker other media (including lustre media). 

Pretty much all gloss/lustre/semi can go through the sheet feeder (unless it's really heavy/thick)

Regardless of what "can go" through the sheet feeder - not doubting you, but I am reliably advised it is best to follow the recommendations on page 42 of the manual.

mhaffey

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:58:22 pm »

Regardless of what "can go" through the sheet feeder - not doubting you, but I am reliably advised it is best to follow the recommendations on page 42 of the manual.

How does this apply if you are using roll paper?

Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 10:01:04 pm »

How does this apply if you are using roll paper?

Mark

It doesn't. See pages 57/58 of the manual (downloadable from the Epson website).

mhaffey

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 11:24:52 pm »

It doesn't. See pages 57/58 of the manual (downloadable from the Epson website).

I checked that section of the manual and it doesn't say anything about what papers can be used.  I would tentatively assume that Epson roll papers can be used but that doesn't say what other papers can be used in the rear feeder.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 11:56:53 pm »

Pages 44 to 63 of the manual I downloaded are very clear about which Epson papers are supposed to go into which paper feed. In summary - the sheet feeder (on top) is for lighter papers, the front manual feed tray is for Fine Art papers, heavier papers and board, and the rear feed is for roll paper. The details are in the manual.

mhaffey

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:06:10 am »

Pages 44 to 63 of the manual I downloaded are very clear about which Epson papers are supposed to go into which paper feed. In summary - the sheet feeder (on top) is for lighter papers, the front manual feed tray is for Fine Art papers, heavier papers and board, and the rear feed is for roll paper. The details are in the manual.

I am still having trouble with this.  I am coming from printing on an Epson 2200, which is a much simpler printer.  I attempted to print on Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique paper.  Based on the thickness quidelines in the printer manual I inserted the 8.5" X 11" sheet in the front feeder.  The paper loaded.  I selected Premium Luster as the paper type, per the instructions from Canson.  When I clicked print in Lightroom, however, I got a message from the printer that seemed to be saying that I should load the sheet in the sheet feeder since it was a Premium Luster paper.  I didn't do so, as I wasn't sure how this would work as the paper seems much stiffer than Premium Luster paper and, therefore, I wasn't sure how it would feed.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Mark

howardm

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:11:59 am »

when you select the paper size in the driver, there is usually an additional menu level down that lets you specify the input tray.  It usually defaults to the sheet feeder, not the front. 

You can load some fairly heavy papers via the sheet feeder (normally, for me, that would be 310 Baryta on a 3880) you have to analyze the thickness and see what works best.  You can either way on a number of papers.  I do not bother w/ the rear sheet feeder for the Canson 310 Baryta

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:34:28 am »

I've received very clear technical advice from Epson to use the Front Fine Art feed for papers in 300+ micron thickness range, which would include papers such Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Canson BP, Canson Platine etc. When you select the paper size, you need to also specify this feed source and you will not then get an error message. If the setting on the printer LCD says Premium Luster, that's fine. What you enter in the driver settings from your computer is determinative.

howardm

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:54:56 am »

Mark, is that a P series specific recommendation from Epson or does it go back to the 38xx ?

What did they actually say?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 11:39:03 am »

The context was a discussion about loading the P800.

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 03:08:58 pm »

I've received very clear technical advice from Epson to use the Front Fine Art feed for papers in 300+ micron thickness range, which would include papers such Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Canson BP, Canson Platine etc. When you select the paper size, you need to also specify this feed source and you will not then get an error message. If the setting on the printer LCD says Premium Luster, that's fine. What you enter in the driver settings from your computer is determinative.

Mark,

Thanks for a definitive answer to this question.  Much appreciated.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »

You are welcome. Glad to have been helpful.

mhaffey

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 11:08:16 pm »

when you select the paper size in the driver, there is usually an additional menu level down that lets you specify the input tray.  It usually defaults to the sheet feeder, not the front. 

You can load some fairly heavy papers via the sheet feeder (normally, for me, that would be 310 Baryta on a 3880) you have to analyze the thickness and see what works best.  You can either way on a number of papers.  I do not bother w/ the rear sheet feeder for the Canson 310 Baryta

Thank you.  Selecting the input tray was the "missing link."  Once I selected the front feeder with fine art paper everything went well.  I greatly appreciate the help you and Mark have provided.

Mark

howardm

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:44 am »

Good to hear you found the missing piece of the puzzle :)

Yea, between that, the sheet feed 'limitation' on FA papers, and the Airprint driver cockup, Epson doesn't make it any easier. 
I cannot tell you how many people have asked 'why are all the Fine Art papers greyed out?'.

Really, who is using Airprint on a 3880?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 12:09:35 pm »

This may be partly OS related - how people get hooked into the Airprint driver and don't see there is a real one they could have chosen. Happened to me too. Coordination between drivers and operating systems is by now an old issue, but not fully resolved, and perhaps more cumbersome with OSX than Windows in this case. And you'll be happy to know this is not confined to Epson printers. For both Canon and Epson readers buying these machines should watch out for this almost first thing - to install the complete version of the driver. Then all the papers, feed options and colour management controls magically become accessible! :-)

howardm

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 12:25:40 pm »

You're right.  It might be as simple as a sorted (default) vs. enumerated list and Airprint comes first.

I also think most people simply dont expect there to be a driver choice, just 1 so 'that must be it'

mhaffey

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 12:47:33 pm »

Good to hear you found the missing piece of the puzzle :)

Yea, between that, the sheet feed 'limitation' on FA papers, and the Airprint driver cockup, Epson doesn't make it any easier. 
I cannot tell you how many people have asked 'why are all the Fine Art papers greyed out?'.

Really, who is using Airprint on a 3880?

I never had any issue with the drivers.  I connected the printer to my USB cable and everything went fine on the install from there.  My issue is just the learning curve of a new printer that has features and complexity my previous printer didn't have.  It probably would be much more familiar to me if I was coming from a 3800/3880 printer.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up