Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro tethering issues  (Read 2730 times)

DaveRobertson

Macbook Pro tethering issues
« on: April 25, 2006, 04:02:41 pm »

Hello, I'm new to this forum, have a question about shooting to intel macbooks.  I've read that the firewire port on these are somehow underpowered and prone to fail when shooting tethered and I just want to confirm people's experience.  This possible flaw surprises me and there's remarkably little information about it, Apple certainly isn't forthcoming.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks alot,
Dave Robertson

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:54:03 am »

Hi Dave,

I only have direct experience with the new intel iMac.  I was told by several people that when apple moved to a built in iSight camera they reduced the voltage on the firewire ports.  The iSight is now wired to the motherboard.  On all the iMacs with built in iSight (intel and G5) there is not enough voltage to power the 12V H25 or Aptus 22.  I have had this experience.  I own a $40.00 firewire 6 port hub from Belkin which fixes the problem.  Its the small white one with 3 plugs on each end.  In looking on the web, many firewire hubs will list their voltage rating.  There seemed to be several 12V models on the market.  This is an easy fix for an iMac which you will use AC powered anyway.  It doesn't help if you want to unplug your laptop for a quick trip outside.

With the H25 the failure manifested itself as black captures.  The green lights and beeps all worked normally, so I did not diagnose the Voltage issue without spinning my wheels a bit first.

Phase one does make an $800.00?? solution. Basically a battery powered 2-port Firewire hub.

Fun. Fun. Fun.  I just LOVE digital!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:55:28 am by ericstaud »

DaveRobertson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:00:53 pm »

Hi Eric, thanks for posting your experience.  I had only vague info, no specifics, and realize now it probably doesn't even concern me because I'm using a canon.  Then again, maybe it does   We're all apparently beta testers like it or not.

Cheers,
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up